Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Sound From 'woofers

n47h4n

Hi all, I'm new around here, so apologies if this has been covered before (or if the topic is easily google-able, i've tried to no avail).

The problem:

After having my alternator replaced by Evans Halshaw (under an extended warranty), my woofers have not been working - no sound whatsoever. This lead me to believe that something simply hasn't been connected back up, as the tweeters work fine, and if the woofers were simply broken, wouldn't there still be some sound/would they all really fail at the same time?

Went back to Halshaw, and the service manager denies that they could have done anything that would cause this, they have offered to have a look but essentially told me I'd be paying for it.

I know little about car stereo's, could they have done something while installing the alternator? Its pretty evident that the Speakers worked fine before, but not after they had it - although the service manager talked some rubbish about "co-incidence" and how he personally tested the radio. Any help from you guys (and girls) would be greatly appreciated.

info:

The car is a Focus Titanium '06, bought from Evans Halshaw last year.

Speakers worked fine before (blummin' beefy I'd say), and now no sound/vibration at all from the woofers

I'm a student, so I couldn't personally pick the car up, not that I would have thought to check the Speakers if I had (my parents did notice a scratch which, after some arguing with the service manager, they got sorted)

Any more info needed, just let me know.

Edit: I'm fine with lookin' under the bonnet and fiddling with basic stuff, as long as I'm given good instructions. No idea where to start, so thought I'd better seek out some real people with real knowledge.

Hi all, I'm new around here, so apologies if this has been covered before (or if the topic is easily google-able, i've tried to no avail).

The problem:

After having my alternator replaced by Evans Halshaw (under an extended warranty), my woofers have not been working - no sound whatsoever. This lead me to believe that something simply hasn't been connected back up, as the tweeters work fine, and if the woofers were simply broken, wouldn't there still be some sound/would they all really fail at the same time?

Went back to Halshaw, and the service manager denies that they could have done anything that would cause this, they have offered to have a look but essentially told me I'd be paying for it.

I know little about car stereo's, could they have done something while installing the alternator? Its pretty evident that the speakers worked fine before, but not after they had it - although the service manager talked some rubbish about "co-incidence" and how he personally tested the radio. Any help from you guys (and girls) would be greatly appreciated.

info:

The car is a Focus Titanium '06, bought from Evans Halshaw last year.

Speakers worked fine before (blummin' beefy I'd say), and now no sound/vibration at all from the woofers

I'm a student, so I couldn't personally pick the car up, not that I would have thought to check the speakers if I had (my parents did notice a scratch which, after some arguing with the service manager, they got sorted)

Any more info needed, just let me know.

Edit: I'm fine with lookin' under the bonnet and fiddling with basic stuff, as long as I'm given good instructions. No idea where to start, so thought I'd better seek out some real people with real knowledge.

very strange i cant see how the alternator would be affecting the sub woofers if the radio etc are all working is it a factory stereo or is it an aftermarket unit with a sub in the boot?

very strange i cant see how the alternator would be affecting the sub woofers if the radio etc are all working is it a factory stereo or is it an aftermarket unit with a sub in the boot?

It's all the standard "titanium" stereo. Could the job of putting in an alternator mean that they disconnected or interfered with any of the power output to the stereo?

It's all the standard "titanium" stereo. Could the job of putting in an alternator mean that they disconnected or interfered with any of the power output to the stereo?

nope the stereo runs from the battery via a switched ignition so in my opinion i cant see how the alternator could effect the sub woofer on the stereo

nope the stereo runs from the battery via a switched ignition so in my opinion i cant see how the alternator could effect the sub woofer on the stereo

Crazy stuff.

In that case...

What would be the likely cause the four woofers to fail (In case I have the wrong name, they're the larger Speakers on the doors)?

Unless the mech's were working outside their remit - had some fun with them, no idea what they did with my car, they claimed originally that the alternator had not arrived, then that it blew and melted the battery terminals, and then that they had no problem installing it. Trying to get some paper work off them at the moment, but that's not going well either.

Edit: Are there any websites (preferably with pictures - I'm a lazy student) that I could take a look at in an attempt to teach myself a bit about car stereos/electrics? - I'm happy to have a poke around in my own time. I've tried googlin' the topic, but not come up with much.

Crazy stuff.

In that case...

What would be the likely cause the four woofers to fail (In case I have the wrong name, they're the larger speakers on the doors)?

Unless the mech's were working outside their remit - had some fun with them, no idea what they did with my car, they claimed originally that the alternator had not arrived, then that it blew and melted the battery terminals, and then that they had no problem installing it. Trying to get some paper work off them at the moment, but that's not going well either.

Edit: Are there any websites (preferably with pictures - I'm a lazy student) that I could take a look at in an attempt to teach myself a bit about car stereos/electrics? - I'm happy to have a poke around in my own time. I've tried googlin' the topic, but not come up with much.

well if they have caused an electric issue like alternator blowing that could indeed blow youre main Speakers if there is no sound what so ever but there is from the other Speakers the internal amplifier in the stereo has gone now its possible it just went but if they had the stereo on and they didi indeed have an issue installing the alternator then there is youre answer sounds to me like they cocked it up i assume the staereo turns on okay etc? as for wiring youll find lots but it canget a bit complicated as ford dont use the same colour wires on all there cars so one wire could be power and red on one car but summat else on another i get the feeling the stereo amplifier has gone or the Speakers have all 4 at the same time unlikely dso it will be the amplifier

well if they have caused an electric issue like alternator blowing that could indeed blow youre main speakers if there is no sound what so ever but there is from the other speakers the internal amplifier in the stereo has gone now its possible it just went but if they had the stereo on and they didi indeed have an issue installing the alternator then there is youre answer sounds to me like they cocked it up i assume the staereo turns on okay etc? as for wiring youll find lots but it canget a bit complicated as ford dont use the same colour wires on all there cars so one wire could be power and red on one car but summat else on another i get the feeling the stereo amplifier has gone or the speakers have all 4 at the same time unlikely dso it will be the amplifier

Thanks, Yeah, this is going to be a lot of fun for me... Yeah, the stereo turns on okay, CD player works fine (all through the tweeters). I'm guessing this is why they are being so slow/stupid about getting the paper work to me. Am I right in thinking that the tweeter are fed off the same power as the woofers - that's what I was told by the service manager.

Thanks, Yeah, this is going to be a lot of fun for me... Yeah, the stereo turns on okay, CD player works fine (all through the tweeters). I'm guessing this is why they are being so slow/stupid about getting the paper work to me. Am I right in thinking that the tweeter are fed off the same power as the woofers - that's what I was told by the service manager.

yes thy run from the same source but different inputs ion the amplifier inside the stereo so if the tweeters work then the issue is with the stereos amplifier ide tell them that you want an answer as to why the stereo worked fine when it went in but the amp inside the stereo suddenly went while they had it and that you believe an issue fitting the alternator has caused this

yes thy run from the same source but different inputs ion the amplifier inside the stereo so if the tweeters work then the issue is with the stereos amplifier ide tell them that you want an answer as to why the stereo worked fine when it went in but the amp inside the stereo suddenly went while they had it and that you believe an issue fitting the alternator has caused this

I attempted that today, but they just remained adamant that when they tested it, it worked fine and it must have gone wrong in the week that they've not had it. Its made more difficult for me as the car was picked up a week ago (only noticed today as it was the first time I drove it and my parents are over 60 - so no bass love from them!) If I could get the paper work, I might be able to argue my point better.

Thanks for your help though, I'll let you know the outcome.

I attempted that today, but they just remained adamant that when they tested it, it worked fine and it must have gone wrong in the week that they've not had it. Its made more difficult for me as the car was picked up a week ago (only noticed today as it was the first time I drove it and my parents are over 60 - so no bass love from them!) If I could get the paper work, I might be able to argue my point better.

Thanks for your help though, I'll let you know the outcome.

if need be get a second hand one fropm a breakers yard dont worry about the codes for them i can get you the codes no probs at all you can get them from around 30 quid for a replacement stereo

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club