Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does it have a DPF?

B13

Hi all,

I own a pre-facelift mk7 Fiesta Sportvan (manufacture date 27.1.2010, first registered in March 2010), so it's a 1.6l turbo diesel - and having owned it since 2013, I would have bet the contents of my piggybank that it was a Euro5 with a DPF. Cutting a very long story short (various MOT failures on emissions, new injectors, new EGR, massively depleted bank balance...) I've found out that it's a Euro4 without a DPF.

So ... why does it say Ford Sport TDCI 90 DPF on the V5??

Does it have a DPF, does it not have a DPF? 🤷🏼‍♀️

And flippin' 'eck, they haven't half tightened up on emission on the MOT test!!!! 😱

I'm pretty sure it will have a DPF.  Can you upload some pictures of your engine bay?  Particularly around the DPF/cat area (the large metal can at the front, middle if you are unsure!) so we can prove either way whether it's DPF or not. :smile: 

The 1.6 TDCi 90PS Fiesta is non-DPF.

The 95PS is the DPF version. It changed around mid to late 2010.

If you check on Etis, it should confirm if it's stage IV or V.

• Like 2

The V5 says Euro4, so I’m guessing that’s what it is. It’s just weird thaf it says DPF as well.

Gawd knows... but that DOES explain why I’ve never heard the regen cycle!!😁

Next question:

Seeing as (even with the new injectors and EGR valve) it scraped through its MOT with an average of 0.65 l/m when the limit is 0.7 l/m, is there anything aftermarket that I can have added to the exhaust system that would catch the “muck” and improve its emissions level for the next MOT? Some sort of filter?

Basically, seeing as they’ve massively clamped down on diesels, what can I do to keep it on the road ?

Any advice/suggestions would be REALLY welcome!!

A weird one but I remember one guy saying to me on the forum that he blanked the EGR on his 1.6 TDCI fiesta and it passed MOT funnily him stating that the tester said its really good on emissions. 

Can't guarantee this but could blanking the EGR make it cleaner? 

I'd of thought the mk7 fiestas would of had DPFs fitted on the 1.6 diesel. The mk6 didn't come with a DPF on that engine. 

46 minutes ago, B13 said:

The V5 says Euro4, so I’m guessing that’s what it is. It’s just weird thaf it says DPF as well.

Gawd knows... but that DOES explain why I’ve never heard the regen cycle!!😁

Next question:

Seeing as (even with the new injectors and EGR valve) it scraped through its MOT with an average of 0.65 l/m when the limit is 0.7 l/m, is there anything aftermarket that I can have added to the exhaust system that would catch the “muck” and improve its emissions level for the next MOT? Some sort of filter?

Basically, seeing as they’ve massively clamped down on diesels, what can I do to keep it on the road ?

Any advice/suggestions would be REALLY welcome!!

Some Euro 4 cars also had DPFs, it's not a Euro 5 only thing.  Being a car derived van it might also have different emissions systems to the standard car, if you can upload some pictures we can say for sure which it is.  It does seem very odd that it would say DPF on the V5 if it didn't have one...

The best thing to clean a diesel exhaust before MOT is to give it a thrashing on the way to the centre.  There's not really anything else you can do I'm afraid, they really are just not driven hard enough usually! :smile: 

is 0.7 what it says in the corner of the sticker on the driver's door post?

The MOT manual says

For vehicles first used between 1 July 2008 and 31 December 2013 the smoke limit is:

• the level specified on the manufacturer's plate

• 1.5m-1 if the manufacturer's plate is not available

so if you remove the sticker then the limit is 1.5.    There have been other threads on here about whether or not you can remove the sticker. Seems a grey area but I think the upshot was they have to use 1.5 if the sticker is not there.    The sticker probably also show if it is 90 or 95 bhp.  My fiesta shows the bhp on that sticker but it is a newer car.

4 hours ago, isetta said:

is 0.7 what it says in the corner of the sticker on the driver's door post?

Ah! I've never looked to see what that label says, so thanks for that tip! Yes, it says 0.7.

After the new injectors were fitted last week, the van scored 0.65 on the MOT test. Is that a good or bad result? (Well, other than "good" because it passed!)

alexp999 : I've attached a photo of my V5. This is why I am a bit baffled. I'll probably nip into my local Ford garage next time I'm passing and have a natter with the guys there.

😁

V5.JPG

Manufacturers Limit.jpg

5 hours ago, zain611 said:

A weird one but I remember one guy saying to me on the forum that he blanked the EGR on his 1.6 TDCI fiesta and it passed MOT funnily him stating that the tester said its really good on emissions. 

Can't guarantee this but could blanking the EGR make it cleaner? 

I assume that blanking the EGR means disabling it? That's not a job I could do anyway and knowing my flippin' luck, it'd either be a. highly illegal and b. blow the engine up!!

😁😁😁

blanking means disabling it. with a blanking plate like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-1-4-1-6-TDCI-EGR-BLANKING-PLATE-FIESTA-FOCUS-FUSION-C-MAX-REMOVAL-BLOCK-OFF/161194753287?hash=item2587f4bd07:g:Kl4AAOSw9sxZzmz3

the plate goes where the gasket goes and blocks it off. But this can cause the engine management light to come on (the light being on is MOT failure on diesels newer than about 2008 - can't remember exact date). And also you are not allowed to defeat any emission controls which includes EGR valves, but it's hard for anyone to tell

• Like 1

I'm not really a diesel person but if there is a DPF involved, would something like a TerraClean be something try and give it a clear out?

12 hours ago, Zico said:

I'm not really a diesel person but if there is a DPF involved, would something like a TerraClean be something try and give it a clear out?

Not a standard Terraclean, no. Although Terraclean do have a specific DPF cleaning service that washes all the gunk out as a foam.

i've had a standard Terraclean done twice on my van and it does make a difference: it drives a lot smoother and fuel efficiency goes up by 3 - 4 mpg.

😃👍 

• Like 1

Try a bottle of this stuff;

https://www.dipetane.com/

Got many a dirty petrol and diesel through the NCT (Irish MOT) but you have to fill up your tank, add this stuff and drive the bastarting thing like you stole it for a few day before the test to flush out the system

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Static said:

Try a bottle of this stuff;

https://www.dipetane.com/

Got many a dirty petrol and diesel through the NCT (Irish MOT) but you have to fill up your tank, add this stuff and drive the bastarting thing like you stole it for a few day before the test to flush out the system

Thanks for that, I'll investigate. 👍

The garage where I sent my van after it failed it's MOT the second time shoved some sort of injector cleaner stuff into it and went on what looks like a THREE HUNDRED MILE drive in it, trying to clear the system out before they went down the “Oh *****, we have to change the injectors and EGR” route. My eyes nearly fell out their sockets when I checked the trip and the mpg had gone down from its usual 58-ish to 47!!!

So they obviously drove the barstarting thing like they nicked it!! 😁

So my question is: when you say, “drive it like I nicked it”, what exactly does that mean? How far? How fast? What gear? Is stopping for a wee/tea allowed? 😁

On 8/10/2019 at 9:50 AM, B13 said:

So my question is: when you say, “drive it like I nicked it”, what exactly does that mean? How far? How fast? What gear? Is stopping for a wee/tea allowed? 😁

So being diesel, usually they need a good long run to get anything to clean so I'd say 300 miles would be par for the course trying to flush the fuel system without going the injector route (as for EGR, once them things are coked with carbon, a clean/replacement/delete is needed in my experience.)

What the engine would need is to get to operating temp and run at that for a long distance. I always suggest at least a half tank run at temp (so 300 in a diesel sounds far) at revs slightly higher than you would normally cruise at. Say you normally motorway cruise at 1,500,  step it up to 2,000 just to make the engine work a bit harder to get a good temp and volume in the exhaust gas to help the flush out.

Suggest an oil change before hand just to make sure all is sweet for regens while you're doing the long run. Stopping for a gypsy's kiss is allowed but if you can do one consistent run, it'll work better since nothing can cool once you're running. 

If at that point it's still high, then I'd be ready to start changing parts.

• Like 1

Also mix that diptane stuff a bit rich. It's meant to be mixed 100-1 so a 1 litre bottle treats 100 litres of fuel. My suggestion is mix it about a tank plus 10-20 litres. So if you have a 60 litre fuel tank, mix it for about 70-80 litres. It will burn a little hotter and help the regens.

Just don't mix it 10-1 because that stuff will melt steel beams better than aviation fuel

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 7:58 AM, Static said:

So being diesel, usually they need a good long run to get anything to clean so I'd say 300 miles would be par for the course trying to flush the fuel system without going the injector route (as for EGR, once them things are coked with carbon, a clean/replacement/delete is needed in my experience.)

What the engine would need is to get to operating temp and run at that for a long distance. I always suggest at least a half tank run at temp (so 300 in a diesel sounds far) at revs slightly higher than you would normally cruise at. Say you normally motorway cruise at 1,500,  step it up to 2,000 just to make the engine work a bit harder to get a good temp and volume in the exhaust gas to help the flush out.

Suggest an oil change before hand just to make sure all is sweet for regens while you're doing the long run. Stopping for a gypsy's kiss is allowed but if you can do one consistent run, it'll work better since nothing can cool once you're running. 

If at that point it's still high, then I'd be ready to start changing parts.

Urgh, I've just had to fork out [INSANELY STUPID AMOUNT OF ££££s] getting new injectors and the EGR replaced so that it would get through it's MOT, so I really, really, really don't want to replace anything else!!

Cars, eh? (Well, vans) Who'd have 'em...

😁

• Sad 1

As I say to people, if you ran a printing company, would you be upset fixing the machine that makes you the money that you spend to fix it? Its just life unfortunately. If it was easy, it would be no fun.

One sure fire way to tell is the tail pipe.  If it's covered in soot inside it's likely no dpf.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club