Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is disc rust normal a week into a new car?

King Mustard

I picked up my 2019 EcoSport from a dealership, new, six days ago.

It rained last night and this morning, the brake discs look like this:

Nearside

IMG_20190809_104515.thumb.jpg.345cc1eb11f687870aff3043d19288ba.jpg

Far side

IMG_20190809_104525.thumb.jpg.f9fcf99499aa10fcb1d875aadfa072d5.jpg

Is this normal?

I believe it'll go away once I brake a few times but if it keeps happening each time it rains - well, it's a bit unsightly!

Pretty normal, I'm afraid. I don't always use my car every day so often get this if it rains in between. Braking clears it as you suggest,  but if you are a very infrequent user, like my Mrs, you can end up replacing the discs prematurely as the build up gets too much to be cleared by braking and starts to damage the pads.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Pretty normal, I'm afraid. I don't use my car every day so often get this if it rains in between. Braking clears it as you suggest,  but if you are a very infrequent user, like my Mrs, you can end up replacing the discs prematurely as the build up gets too much to be cleared by braking and starts to damage the pads.

I drive every day or two, so hopefully it won't result in that.

2 minutes ago, King Mustard said:

I drive every day or two, so hopefully it won't result in that.

She only does about 1,000 miles a year, so you should be ok. Just driving the car a reasonable distance should normally keep the discs clear of light rusting, as the pads are lightly in contact with the discs anyway. My Mrs's other problem is that she only drives very locally anyway, so doesn't do much braking from higher speeds, which gives the discs a good scrub.

Open alloy design and wind driving the rain sideways will do that unfortunately.  It is unsightly on your driveway but should clear by the time you reach your destination...just have to hope it's not raining there as well!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club