Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service advice

mitch84

Hi

My focus mk2.5 is due a service and MOT next month, I normally just go to my local Ford service garage, in the past I have got the Motorcraft service (cheaper for older vehicles),  but occasionally I have got the standard service that comes with free AA cover.

They said my car is up for a major service, but that would cost £265.

My car is a 2010 focus and has only done about 60'000.

My question is should I get the major service or just go for the minor service which is the motorcraft service at £159.

Wondering if I actually need a major service, also I do like to get the free AA cover, something that's not included with motorcraft service.

Thanks 

I think one thing you have to weigh up. Is it really FREE AA cover. Might you be cheaper going elsewhere and then buying your own breakdown cover.

What's the difference between the Motorcraft service at £159 and the major service at £265 including the AA cover. £106 is quite a lot for cover so, surely, there must be some other difference?

10 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

I think one thing you have to weigh up. Is it really FREE AA cover. Might you be cheaper going elsewhere and then buying your own breakdown cover.

I know you can get cover elsewhere such as with your bank for example but then that would be a charge as well, so as you say its not really free I guess, but its nice to have it included with a service.

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Which engine is it & when was the last major service (mileage/year)?

It's a 1.6 diesel, I think I've done about 60'000 miles, the last major service, I'm guessing was about 3-4 years ago, I know for sure that the last 2 were only minor services.

2 minutes ago, Oldster said:

What's the difference between the Motorcraft service at £159 and the major service at £265 including the AA cover. £106 is quite a lot for cover so, surely, there must be some other difference?

Well he said the motorcraft is only a minor service, no idea what else is checked with a major though.

1 minute ago, mitch84 said:

I know you can get cover elsewhere such as with your bank for example but then that would be a charge as well, so as you say its not really free I guess, but its nice to have it included with a service.

It's a 1.6 diesel, I think I've done about 60'000 miles, the last major service, I'm guessing was about 3-4 years ago, I know for sure that the last 2 were only minor services.

You can get breakdown for as little as £30ish from companies like StartRescue.  As it's a 1.6TDCi and has gone several years without a major service I would recommend having one this year as it will include the fuel filter which are expensive on these and known to clog up.  It doesn't have to be done at a Ford dealer though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You can get breakdown for as little as £30ish from companies like StartRescue.  As it's a 1.6TDCi and has gone several years without a major service I would recommend having one this year as it will include the fuel filter which are expensive on these and known to clog up.  It doesn't have to be done at a Ford dealer though.

Thanks, I know i can get a service cheaper elsewhere, I guess its just because the Ford garage is not far from me and Ive always found them to be ok. I booked for a motorcraft service, I think I will ring them and have it changed to a major soon.

5 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Thanks, I know i can get a service cheaper elsewhere, I guess its just because the Ford garage is not far from me and Ive always found them to be ok. I booked for a motorcraft service, I think I will ring them and have it changed to a major soon.

That's fair enough, if you've found a decent garage it is worth paying a bit extra!

The Motorcraft is basically a single level service for older cars so we know exactly what is changed.  The main things that it doesn't include are either the air or pollen filter (only one of these is included in the MC service, you can pay extra to have both done) and the diesel fuel filter as mentioned above.

The Major service isn't a 'set' thing like the MC service, different parts are changed even though it's still classed as a major service.  With your mileage being very low I don't know whether they will be doing a 9 year service, or a 62,000 mile service so I can't say exactly what will be changed if you have a major done.

It might be worth asking how much they would charge to do a Motorcraft service, plus the air filter and the fuel filter.  And see if that works out cheaper than the major service.  I hope that makes sense! :smile: 

1 hour ago, gillyallan said:

It does work out as a very good deal, my AA cover for my last car was £169 a sevice was £235, i dont need either now as on a motability car.

If you decide to go the Motorcraft route have a look at Britannia Rescue for the assistance. Good value for money, I'd suggest.

It's a question of what level of cover you require, Ford service Assistance also covers break down in Europe – “If you break down in Europe and we’re unable to fix your vehicle, we can arrange for it to be sent to one UK address (for example: home, work, or a Ford dealer).”

If you don't take your car to Europe, you obviously don't need European cover. I do day trips to France 2-3 times a year, so worthwhile for me.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club