Do Not Sell My Personal Information

68 plate Focus: ESC Service Required and other faults

jamieburchell

Hi

Started the car this morning and received the following warnings:

ESC service Required (traction control light stayed illuminated)

Auto Hold Unavailable

Hill Start Assist Not Available

Pre Collision Assist Not Available

Fantastic. The traction control lamp went out and everything else seemed to be working fine i.e. the car was still drivable. Pressing the Auto Hold button to turn it on from the centre console didn't work, the message returned.

After I turned the car off and back on again, everything worked fine. 🤔

Obviously I need to take it to a dealer. It's a fairly new car, so it seems a bit odd?

I don't know if it's related but the car doesn't always remember that I have Auto Hold on. Sometimes it's on when the car starts, sometimes I have to turn it on. It's really annoying that it doesn't remember the last setting.

The Ford phone app showed a message at the same time: Forward Collision Warning? 

Anyone had the same?

Jamie

I had this come up on mine, one of the suggestions that was made to me, was to give the radar a clean, this the Small rectangle black plastic below the number plate.

After that I haven’t had any problems, hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

I've had collision assist once which cleared after turning off car locking then unlocking. I also occasionally get the auto hold turning itself off. Haven't bothered with the dealer as unless its like it permanently its probably a waste of time.

• Thanks 1

OK thanks I'll keep an eye on it. I saw the suggestion about cleaning the front grill on the app, but it doesn't seem dirty.

Drove it earlier on tonight and something weird has happened- the sound for the seatbelt not fastened warning and parking sensors is different, like its gone "tiny". Not sure what's going on lol.

2 hours ago, jamieburchell said:

OK thanks I'll keep an eye on it. I saw the suggestion about cleaning the front grill on the app, but it doesn't seem dirty.

Drove it earlier on tonight and something weird has happened- the sound for the seatbelt not fastened warning and parking sensors is different, like its gone "tiny". Not sure what's going on lol.

That seems to have been cured by turning the car off and on again.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jamieburchell said:

That seems to have been cured by turning the car off and on again

Must be a Windows computer . . . . . :whistling1:

Mine did the same, turned the car off but it came back on about 4 hours later. Didn't come on the next day dealer said it probably fixed itself and not to worry.  A few weeks later it went in for first service at another dealer and I told them about it, check diagnostic during service and nothing to report all fine.

• Thanks 1

It's funny, I gave the dealer a call and no sooner had I mentioned "faults coming up" the lady on the phone rattled off what sounded like a well rehearsed speech about "it could have been a leaf on the sensor" (I didn't mention what the faults were at this point) and that if it hasn't come up again not to worry. I mentioned the auto hold not remembering the last setting sometimes and she basically said not to worry unless it happens more often. I guess this type of issue is happening all the time. I shall mention it when it goes in for a service next.

Incidentally I took a look at the plastic rectangle underneath the number plate but couldn't see anything obvious.

I have a 68 plate St-line X with all the bells and whistles, get the 'pre collision assist failure' warning as well as the others mentioned above, took it into the dealer and they replaced the front grill and a sensor on warranty but the error is still happening

On 8/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, Jesse1ee said:

I have a 68 plate St-line X with all the bells and whistles, get the 'pre collision assist failure' warning as well as the others mentioned above, took it into the dealer and they replaced the front grill and a sensor on warranty but the error is still happening

How often does that happen? So far it's only been once, but the strange alteration in the warning sounds has happened twice, both times resolved by restarting the car. And the auto stop still doesn't always remember the last setting. I'll mention it when it goes in next

On 8/10/2019 at 9:08 PM, jamieburchell said:

Yep! Had that happen to me (68 (January 2019) plate ST Line X) and it was all connected to the intermittent stop/start and keyless entry not working on all doors. It is a battery voltage problem! 

The tolerance parameters must be so tight on these new cars to the point of being a pain in the *****!!

On 8/24/2019 at 11:23 AM, Rattus said:

Yep! Had that happen to me (68 (January 2019) plate ST Line X) and it was all connected to the intermittent stop/start and keyless entry not working on all doors. It is a battery voltage problem! 

The tolerance parameters must be so tight on these new cars to the point of being a pain in the *****!!

The strange change in warning tone sound? Odd that it fixes itself when the car is restarted.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to think my car is dud in some way "Exhaust filter full drive to clean" now. I did a 2.5 hour motorway drive Sunday. Seems unlikely to be a genuine message.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, jamieburchell said:

Starting to think my car is dud in some way "Exhaust filter full drive to clean" now. I did a 2.5 hour motorway drive Sunday. Seems unlikely to be a genuine message.

Is yours the 1.0 EB?  I ask because I'm sure recently stated there was a software issue that needed to fixed to avoid the GPT warning being triggered too often on the MK4, oddly the same engine in the latest shape Fiesta doesn't seem to be afflicted so I guess that the "software" that controls the petrol particulate filter much be slightly different.

Assuming the above is true and I didn't imagine it, I'm not sure if Ford have released a fix yet or at this point they've just acknowledged the issue.

It could be a bad battery my friend has got a 19 plate one and when the AA came out on 198 miles they replaced the battery and told him it was his 4th one that week they seem to cause all sorts of problems.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:35 PM, jamieburchell said:

Hi

Started the car this morning and received the following warnings:

ESC Service Required (traction control light stayed illuminated)

Auto Hold Unavailable

Hill Start Assist Not Available

Pre Collision Assist Not Available

Fantastic. The traction control lamp went out and everything else seemed to be working fine i.e. the car was still drivable. Pressing the Auto Hold button to turn it on from the centre console didn't work, the message returned.

After I turned the car off and back on again, everything worked fine. 🤔

Obviously I need to take it to a dealer. It's a fairly new car, so it seems a bit odd?

I don't know if it's related but the car doesn't always remember that I have Auto Hold on. Sometimes it's on when the car starts, sometimes I have to turn it on. It's really annoying that it doesn't remember the last setting.

The Ford phone app showed a message at the same time: Forward Collision Warning? 

Anyone had the same?

Jamie

I had this problem with a new car in April this year.  Kept happening. and then I started getting "driving mode unavailable" and it stopped dead on a motorwar.  Ford eventually replaced the car but same problems are coming up with my new car.  they are saying that even though I do a lot of driving they are all short journeys and the battery not getting chance to charge the system is shutting down a load of systems.  all your errors are exactly the same as mine. Carol

Jamie Also if you have heard anything different from your dealer can you let me know. 

Mine is the 1.0L EB, yes.

Particle filter message still keeps coming up on some journeys. It's not due a service until March. I might try taking it for a motorway drive to see if it helps. Building up quite a list to tell the service department! I can imagine the response now when I come to collect and pay:

"Yeah they had a look but couldn't find any faults. We've not heard of this happening before..."

• Haha 1

Ooo! Ooo! Can I add to my list? How about showing me my reversing camera for my entire journey home and completely locking up the touch screen. 😂 then a blue screen of death. So as well as blasting down the motorway unnecessarily to clear the exhaust filter in my new economical car, it's now necessary to look like a car thief in car parks standing outside it with the door locked waiting for it to power down.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, CEVW said:

I had this problem with a new car in April this year.  Kept happening. and then I started getting "driving mode unavailable" and it stopped dead on a motorwar.  Ford eventually replaced the car but same problems are coming up with my new car.  they are saying that even though I do a lot of driving they are all short journeys and the battery not getting chance to charge the system is shutting down a load of systems.  all your errors are exactly the same as mine. Carol

We keep hearing the short journeys  battery not getting chance to charge excuse from Ford. To me that means either the batteries are to small or the alternator is not up to the job, both of which Ford should be sorting out by now.

2 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

We keep hearing the short journeys  battery not getting chance to charge excuse from Ford. To me that means either the batteries are to small or the alternator is not up to the job, both of which Ford should be sorting out by now.

Its actually the intelligent charging system doing its job. To save fuel it rarely fully charges the battery ,only enough to maintain the main functions and to ensure the vehicle will always start. That means that if vehicle only does short journeys some features can be disabled eg Stop start . Theres loads of info out there on these charging systems on Google.

Well there's the paradox, stop start function to save fuel doesn't work because to save fuel the battery doesn't charge fully.

3 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

stop start function to save fuel doesn't work because to save fuel the battery doesn't charge fully.

Actually the stop-start function is more to do with reducing emissions in urban driving than fuel economy.

Which again it won't do, as I suspect most urban driving (in the UK at least) would be short trips 😂😂 It's an intelligent charging system that turns out to be pretty dumb IMHO