Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power mirrors playing up

muggit
聽Share

Got a glitch on a 2011 Focus Estate, the driver's side mirror doesn't fully extend or retract when locking and unlocking and the remote mirror adjust doesn't work on the driver's side either

If I unlock the car, the driver's mirror opens about halfway then stops and sometimes the car locks again

When locking, the mirror retracts half way then, if I press the lock button again, the mirror folds in fully.

The mirror hasn't been hit, it worked fine parking up one night, then started playing up the next morning.

2 days on and it's the same, never been a problem before.

Any ideas would be much appreciated 馃檪

In this case I suspect that the door module is the cause of the problem. Especially the weird locking behavior strongly suggests that the problem is not caused by the mirror itself.

This however can easily be checked by removing the driver side mirror from the car and temporarily connect it to the passenger side mirror connector. If the driver side mirror folds/unfolds correctly when connected to the passenger side door module the problem will be caused by the driver side door module.

Early types of MK3 door modules did have some known software glitches. In this case the problem may be solved by just updating the software of the door modules to the latest version. However the costs involved to have the door modules software updated by a Ford dealer will probably be higher than just buying a new door module. A new door module costs approximately 80 Pounds.

• Thanks 1

(I have a similar issue but think I posted it in the wrong topic section, in regards to the door module is there a guide for fitting it yourself and where is the best place to buy it? Thanks)聽

Helloeveryone I have a Ford focus titanium it's a lovely car, but I have encountered an issue recently I will list below the symptoms -聽

1- N/S mirror glass can not be adjusted at all unless you press the lock/unlock button inside the car on the dash then it works fine.聽

2- N/S power mirror intermittentlydoesn't go into correct positions when unlocking/locking the car, also on occasions goes floppy.聽

3- Sometimes when I unlock the car it re locks itself within 1 second and I have to press the unlock button again to get in.聽

I've taken mirror cover off and cleaned/Greased, also have taken the tweeter out and checked all cables behind and they are all connected.聽

I have seen in some threads in the past about a control board fault or something? Just want some more info to see if I could fix it myself, or at least not go into a dealership blind at risk of being ripped off.

Many thanks Tyrone.聽

Thanks for the suggestions 馃憤

The mirror adjuster is flaky too - after unlocking and starting the car, the o/s mirror won't adjust

If I lock and unlock the car from the dash button, with the engine running, then the mirror adjuster works fine until the car is next locked externally

A couple of times it's also locked/unlocked several times when trying to unlock car with remote.

Could someone let me have the part ref for the door module, I'll try that after the mirror swap

The battery light's just come on a couple of times too, gonna be a fun week...

On 8/11/2019 at 9:28 AM, Tyrone said:

聽in regards to the door module is there a guide for fitting it yourself and where is the best place to buy it? Thanks)聽

I'll take my door apart tomorrow and have a look, bucketing down here today

Google suggests the part ref for offside is BV6N 14B531 BF and BV6N 14B533 BF for nearside but I'll confirm tomorrow.

There are several different types of door modules used on the Focus MK3. Which part number is installed depends on the production date of the car and the options of the car (BLIS, Powerfold mirrors, puddle lights, etc.).聽

• Thanks 1

I phoned the local Ford parts dealer, current part number for my reg is BV6N 14B531 BL, at around 拢160 馃槻
Think I'll risk a 拢20 eBay one first

Ok, it's the mirror!

Disconnected O/S mirror cable, everything ok - connected up mirror to N/S plug, locking flaky, mirror fold motor very laboured.

So, how do I lube the mirror gearbox?
I've seperated the main mechanism from the 'trim' part of the mirror, but can't get to the gearbox to lube it (there's three T15 torx screws holding the elbow to the door mount and I can only get to two)

• 2 years later...

hi, did you ever manage to get to the mirror gearbox? I got more or less to the same point as you and cant get any further, and I suspect i have a problem with gears for right side folding mirror (it is stuck at about 3/4 open and does not move)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club