Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 Power steering fuses missing

bwpolish

Hi all, this is my first post here, so apologies if it's in the wrong place

Few days ago I bought a 2008 1.4 Focus (pre face-lift) on the very cheap, with a non functioning power steering. Today, I was checking the fuses to see if they were the problem, or if I have to look into the pump etc.

However neither of the fuses listed as responsible for the power steering in the diagrams (F2 and F22) were present. I popped a 10A fuse into F22 and it just fell in, there is no connectors for it in the slot. It looks like F2 has no cable going to it either. The car definitely had power steering at some point, the reservoir, pump and piping are all there.

So, what's going on, am I being stupid and missing something very obvious? All the diagrams I've been going off are what I found on Google, since the car didn't come with a manual.

I have attached a photo of the fusebox, I would very much appreciate any help.

received_418291698792833.jpeg

So all the regular versions have no fuses assigned to power steering? I'm asking because the fusebox diagrams I was looking at would often specify when a certain fuse was specific to a model (diesel, ST only etc.), and none of them had the power steering fuses specified for the ST.

The Focus MK2 / MK2.5 with 1.4 / 1.6 Duratec Petrol engine (including the TI-VCT) have a conventional hydraulic power steering system. All other engine types have the EHPAS (Electro Hydraulic Power Assisted System). The fuses are only present/needed on vehicles with EHPAS.

Being a conventional hydraulic power steering system the problem will most likely be caused by a defective pump or a defective steering rack (or both). Did you check the fluid level? On the 1.4 / 1.6 Duratec Petrol engines a burst high pressure power steering pipe is a well known problem. A modified pipe assembly is available but quite expensive. 

The fluid level is all in check, no leaks, so it's probably one of the other options.

Are there any clues that would point to the pump being defective? I can take it off the car, but no point in doing so if I can't diagnose it.

Cheers for the help btw.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club