Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera not available

Musketter

I am trying to install a camera in my 2016 MK3.5 Focus estate TDI, Sync 2, 12 sensors, Park Assist 

I have read every post I can, installed my camera, used Forscan to program it, and I still get "Camera Unavailable" I have the camera settings on the screen. I have had the screen out, but cannot work out which wires are from the plug in the boot, as there are not the same colour wires (Blue/Green). I was going to try and do a circuit check to rule out a broken wire.

I have connected it to the grey plug in the boot, using the video + & -, and the live. I have earthed it off the boot itself. The camera is working ok (Checked on another screen) but all I get is this on the screen. Would this cable help as it is either a software or hardware problem ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G16KK4F/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XW5E1DK6PEM0&psc=1

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have read so much I am now get more confused than ever.

IMG_0002.JPG

01_.jpg

You have programmed the camera correctly via Forscan so you can rule that out.

the problem lies with your wiring somewhere, unfortunately I don’t know where. This message often presents itself when there is an earthing problem.

you should have 4 wires connected in all, one is the earth wire from the camera power lead which you say you wired not the boot somewhere - I’d try this point first. You should then have 3 other wires connected into the grey plug - the cam power, video + and video -. I don’t know the colour coding in that plug though, do you have a picture of the wires in the grey plug?

the adapter harness you have posted is the one I used on my 2017 Focus and it works perfectly. I took the yellow rca from the camera all the way to the head unit and wired the cam + to a switched live fuse and the earth to a point in the boot.

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply

I brought the lead from amazon, and spent the morning ripping out my dash, connected the lead and still got camera unavailable !!!

I spent the next hour going all through Forscan with no success 

I then remembered your comment about the earth so checked that, it was fine. I thought I would check the power supply while I was at it (I used the power to the original camera) and that was at 12v. I then remembered something I learnt at college many years ago, to check the power under load. 12.32v in standby and then 7.06v under load. I can only assume my camera draws a higher current than the original ford one. I connected to live feed for the boot Aux socket and it works. I never thought to check the power supply other than it being live. I have left the lead in place as it works and don't want to jinx it.

I have seen that the camera I used has the bendy lines on it when you turn while you are reversing, not quite sure how it does it but it does

https://youtu.be/tBQXv3ywRTg

eBay link to Camera

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Intelligent-Dynamic-Trajectory-Tracks-Parking-Line-Rear-View-Camera-Reverse/362682927309?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank for your help

Keef 

excellent, glad you got it working and if anything I said helped then great.

i know I had to take a live feed directly from the fuse box and not the grey plug but I didn’t have the knowledge to understand why, so with your explanation I have learnt something new.

that camera looks brilliant, the lines are great! Do they only turn when the car is moving and the wheel turned or will the lines move with the wheel when the car is stationary? I heard it was all about the trajectory of the car and the sensors taking reading from the image 🤷‍♂️ Are they accurate?

Its strange how the live feeds are so low in amps seeing as they have to power the Ford camera

The lines only work when moving, and there seems to be a slight delay, but they are fun 🤣 

• Like 1

WOuld you mind if I shared your YouTube link on the Mk5 Mondeo page I admin?

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

WOuld you mind if I shared your YouTube link on the Mk5 Mondeo page I admin?

Not at all, feel free

I have noticed there are several other cameras with the lines, they may do one that is built into the handle as on the Hatchback

Hi my Focus as a sync 3 radio and I keep getting a message popping on the screen intermittently whilst driving the radio as had update then the radio as had a master reset wiping the radio back to factory setting but still the message keeps popping up whilst driving. We have the car from new the problems started within less than a year of having the car. The car as been back to the main dealer to be told no fault found then this week my car went for its 2nd year service and the camera fault I was told the camera and radio faults was due to a aftermarket rear parking camera. The was order by us and built at the factory with the camera as a extra. We are now waiting for our dealership to comment.

20180713_140232.jpg

2019-08-12 21.36.33.jpg

2019-08-12 21.38.56.jpg

we have spoken the dealership service manager today and he as said the tech guy as got it wrong and the problems we have with our radio which is camera message radio blank and unable to turn off and on bluetooth keeps disconnecting on any phone SAT NAV not loading or NO GPS message intermittently. 

Which is a known problem to Ford on the sync 3 system on all models which Ford are releasing later this year which SHOULD cure these problems .

• Like 1

@Musketter, did you follow a guide of some sort for fitting your car with the camera, if so, would you mind sending that to me? I have a MK3.5 Estate TDCI as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, Musketter said:

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply

I brought the lead from Amazon, and spent the morning ripping out my dash, connected the lead and still got camera unavailable !!!

I spent the next hour going all through Forscan with no success 

I then remembered your comment about the earth so checked that, it was fine. I thought I would check the power supply while I was at it (I used the power to the original camera) and that was at 12v. I then remembered something I learnt at college many years ago, to check the power under load. 12.32v in standby and then 7.06v under load. I can only assume my camera draws a higher current than the original ford one. I connected to live feed for the boot Aux socket and it works. I never thought to check the power supply other than it being live. I have left the lead in place as it works and don't want to jinx it.

I have seen that the camera I used has the bendy lines on it when you turn while you are reversing, not quite sure how it does it but it does

https://youtu.be/tBQXv3ywRTg

Ebay link to Camera

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Intelligent-Dynamic-Trajectory-Tracks-Parking-Line-Rear-View-Camera-Reverse/362682927309?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank for your help

Hi do you have pictures of where you installed the camera? thanks

2 hours ago, Scherni said:

Hi do you have pictures of where you installed the camera? thanks

I don’t have a picture right now, I’m in hospital and not with the car. I popped the boot release handle out using a plastic pry tools and drilled the hole just to the left of the button you press to release the boot. I did it dead central (front to back) and the view imo is just right, although my wife comments that the camera in her car had a more elevated view. My thoughts are that I want to see the bumper of the vehicle I am reversing up to and not the boot. I’m sure I can get a pic when I get out but that won’t Be till next week, i will check my phone for pics in the meantime

Found this one, hope it helps 6f2b64f0f32c2a9beb0f0ec370a12892.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Keef 

excellent, glad you got it working and if anything I said helped then great.

i know I had to take a live feed directly from the fuse box and not the grey plug but I didn’t have the knowledge to understand why, so with your explanation I have learnt something new.

that camera looks brilliant, the lines are great! Do they only turn when the car is moving and the wheel turned or will the lines move with the wheel when the car is stationary? I heard it was all about the trajectory of the car and the sensors taking reading from the image 🤷‍♂️ Are they accurate?

Sorry to bring up a old post I'm having similar issues with power, I've got myself a fuse piggy back can you remember what slot number on the fuse box did you use?

Sorry to bring up a old post I'm having similar issues with power, I've got myself a fuse piggy back can you remember what slot number on the fuse box did you use?
I can't quite remember but I think it was fuse 33 for the rear wiper.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, I was getting this on the screen before I got the camera unavailable message would this be a faulty camera or poor power connection?

It's either poor connections or dodgy camera. You will need to check all your wiring and make sure they are really clean well insulated joins. If they are then it's the camera

Does anyone have a complete "idiot's guide" (preferably with lots of pretty pictures!) to the installation of a Dynamic Reversing Camera?

I own a 2016 1.5 Diesel Focus Titanium.  It has rear sensors and a colour screen.

Where is this plug I've read about located in the boot, and do I have to purchase additional wiring.

What is the Ford Forscan?

Is it better to install one integrated with the boot release or a stand alone camera?

Sorry to drag out an old topic, but I would really like to install this camera.

I went down the aftermarket route I got this camera

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153429110555

Got myself a female RCA solder and some pins from the scrap yard and made my own cable.

Got a piggy back fuse to get power from the fuse box in the rear and grounded it to the ground bolt in the rear hatch.

I brought a elm327 modified and downloaded forscan and the extended licence to activate the camera.

I did have problems at the start getting the image but it was my mistake I had the pins the wrong way round.

Screenshot_20200314-193813_eBay.jpg

20200226_210913.jpg

Where have you used that homemade wire?

Instead of buying a whole zizon 54 pin adapter like the 1 in the pic I decided to make 1 myself save a few quid and cut out the adapter.

Screenshot_20200315-015113_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I plugged my homemade wires into 14 and 15 at 1st I had them the wrong way and i was getting  a fuzzy screen after many hours of troubleshooting I switched the wires and now my camera works.

That's awesome, but wouldn't it have been easier to just cut the yellow plug off and use the black and white instead of creating a whole new adapter? Just connect the black wire to the correct pin and then the white wire to the correct pin