Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford ranger engine failed at 35000

Jack7996

Hi guys 

Now new to all this forum stuff but I could really do with some help and advice on my situation. Last year exactly 1 year and 2 months ago I bought a 2016 for ranger 3.2 wild track with 19000 miles on from fords with an existing 9 months warranty I also purchased 1 extra year on the extended. 3 weeks ago my truck blew up all within 2 minutes now I myself think the head gaskit failed. So I put it in that garage fords at harlow to get sorted was quickly notified that now my vehicle is running under the extended warranty they do not cover diagnosis so, after going to and from with the garage I then agreed to cover the cost of diagnosis so I could get this all resolved. I then heard from a different man at ford 3 days later nothing had been to done to strip the engine and so on they found a hole in the radiator overflow pipe or bleed pipe (not a mechanic sorry) so they run the claim through saying that this pipe was the cause and of course extended warrenty won't cover pipes so they said I was unlucky and its £8500 to repair the vehicle again all this without an official diagnosis. Not happy with this I spoke to fords head office they opened a case and cut a long story short they offered me 3000 towards the repairs. Now I spent all my money and borrowed money last year to start my little business I don't have 5500 to pay for the rest of the repair and even if I did I don't think I should be paying anything I feel complete let done and pushed into a corner 

Was hoping someone my have some advice or something to say about how I should go about my situation it just doesn't seem fair 

Thanks jack 

You need to find out what's actually wrong with the engine. Why did you automatically think it was the head gasket? I can tell you now, a Ford garage wouldnt even dare charge you over £8000 just to change a pipe or two.

I've always said extended warranties arent worth the paper their written on. The majority of things that will go wrong in the first couple years arent even covered on it.

Thanks for the reply luke 

Erm big trail of white smoke in my rear view slight dip in power then I heard the pipe pop and they had the steam a fluid flowing from under the hood which is when I shut of and pulled up as I say I'm not a mechanic but the smoke and weird flutter in power came before I heard the pipe blow which is the reason I disagree with what there saying.

Ther 8500 is for a new engine replacement which is what there saying is needed how they now this is unknown to me seeing how the only thing done is them lifting the bonnet to see a small hole in the water overflow pipe 

But still just seems they dont care is what it is they think just a joke 

Is there somone I could hire independently to go and diagnose the fault and give a run down of how the engine failed is there such a person

Thanks again 

You can take the car back (will obviously need it trailered!) and sent to another garage for diagnosis if that's what you want.  It won't be cheap though and you'll still have to pay for Fords 'diagnosis' so far.  First thing I'd do is ask for a written quote of the diagnosis and repair work needed so we know what's actually going on.

Chances are the engine has cracked or warped if it was run even briefly without enough coolant so I wouldn't be surprised if the engine does need replacement.  Ford themselves won't strip engines to replace individual parts, they just buy in whole new engines so depending on what is actually wrong it may be cheaper to take it to an independent garage for repair.

As Luke says, extended warranty is a bit of a joke really, it's nothing like the original manufacturer warranty.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club