Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What SSD do i need for MSi

jace1969

I have a GE62 6QF with no SSD and i have another i just had with SSD (128gb) which is second hand and the speed on boot is amazing,i have put picture below and i know its M2 slot but some SSD on the ends have 2 blocks of 5 or so and the middle is solid but on the picture below mine has one long solid and a 5 block on 1 end and some say about PCi M2 but which is this.

20190715_180947.thumb.jpg.afcf66306cb649bee37e0076657a9018.jpg

I know its called M2 NVmE or something like that but is this ok below as you can see on my first pic i dont have 2 small sections on each side just the one side and this SSD has it both sides but this is my MSi model.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/128GB-M-2-SSD-SOLID-STATE-DRIVE-FOR-MSI-GE62-6QF/202397751623?hash=item2f1fd89947:g:vYgAAOSwh39b-jLd

Avoid all the unbranded crap. Especially stuff that's been "refurbed". That's definitely an  NVMe M.2 PCIe slot though. Personally I'd stick with Samsung to have any advantages over a normal SSD. Sadly they do cost a fair bit more than other brands, however if you search on amazon for "M.2 NVMe" drive, you can see that the majority have the pin cut outs like you have instead of the eBay listing you posted 

Avoid all the unbranded crap. Especially stuff that's been "refurbed". That's definitely an  NVMe M.2 PCIe slot though. Personally I'd stick with Samsung to have any advantages over a normal SSD. Sadly they do cost a fair bit more than other brands, however if you search on Amazon for "M.2 NVMe" drive, you can see that the majority have the pin cut outs like you have instead of the ebay listing you posted 
Cheers for that advice as I'm new to the SSD,I will look at amazon as the second hand MSi laptop I have had for a few weeks has the Toshiba one in 128 and is so fast to start up so wanted some for the older one,same model laptop the 2 I have.
So the 2 slot won't fit my 1 slot on the one end.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Check out Crucial as well, they guarantee compatability.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Cheers for that advice as I'm new to the SSD,I will look at amazon as the second hand MSi laptop I have had for a few weeks has the Toshiba one in 128 and is so fast to start up so wanted some for the older one,same model laptop the 2 I have.
So the 2 slot won't fit my 1 slot on the one end.

There's two different types of M.2 "connectors"; SATA and NVMe (aka PCIe). NVMe is just a different protocol of writing data that generally does it faster than the more traditional SATA (so no, they're not interchangeable). As long as the drive clearly states NVMe and not SATA then it should be ok. Personally this is the drive I'd buy (and is the connector you need to look out for).

12 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

There's two different types of M.2 "connectors"; SATA and NVMe (aka PCIe). NVMe is just a different protocol of writing data that generally does it faster than the more traditional SATA (so no, they're not interchangeable). As long as the drive clearly states NVMe and not SATA then it should be ok. Personally this is the drive I'd buy (and is the connector you need to look out for).

Thanks Luke you have been a great help,yes the MSi spec and also the MSi Hone details state NVMe and also the 128 i have in this one im on now with the Toshiba one in states the same as it the same Laptop, Toshiba one in now....... SSD, THNSN5128GPU7 TOSHIBA, 119.24 GB

Ordered one of those Samsung as my mate has Prime so sort it tomorrow.

Might be a stupid thing but how on earth do you install window 10 onto my SSD when i already have a HDD in the p.c laptop running windows 10.

I have changed the boot to boot from usb/dvd first (no luck) tried it from usb hard disc (no luck).

My windows 10 is on a usb drive so i set to reboot then it just don't detect the usb/windows 10 and boot my normal windows,the SSD is all there 250gb and also all usb slots are working fine as i can see the windows 10 on the usd but i don't want a fresh install on my HDD i want it on my SSD and keep my HDD as it is like i have on my other laptop.

Search "Advanced Startup" press  Restart and try booting from there.

3 hours ago, Micro said:

Search "Advanced Startup" press  Restart and try booting from there.

See i tried this but the options are only there for the HDD im using not the new SSD like remove some or all files etc.

Disc Mangment is showing the SSD but im running off the HDD.

See my other MSi when i had it second hand had blank SSD and HDD so was easy as just boot with first option usb/dvd and asked me which drive but this don't.

I just want a fresh install of windows 10 onto my SSD which i have windows 10 on my USB stick.

Here is a update on the problem which i do hope someone can solve.

1...reboot and set in Bios to Legacy (not uefi) i think it is as this ls like the second hand MSi i have had for 2 weeks is set on but it don't see my HDD in the boot options only the SSD.

2..boot up with windows usb in and boots to install windows so when it gets to install the SSD is there but ''cant install as its of a GPT and windows cant install to this.

3...if i boot up with it set to UEFI not Legacy it don't have the SSD on the boot option and dont boot onto windows install when i leave usb in on boot.

My other MSi is set on Legacy and the HDD and SSD when i looked are of NTFS file and on reboot i get the option to use the SSD (default ) or Hdd

Also the SSD going through Disc management is there just says not Allicated.

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Also the SSD going through Disc management is there just says not Allicated.

Windows will only install to a GPT type disk in UEFI mode iirc.

You may be having issues with the "SecureBoot" feature. You can disable this on some computers, but you may find your original windows install will then fail to boot correctly depending on the computer.

Windows will only install to a GPT type disk in UEFI mode iirc.
You may be having issues with the "SecureBoot" feature. You can disable this on some computers, but you may find your original windows install will then fail to boot correctly depending on the computer.
I get the original fail to be in the option if I change the setting to Legacy from UEFI but then I see the SSD but as you say won't install to GPT,I can't understand that my other MSI runs on Legacy not UEFI then when I start up for 4 seconds I pick normal windows or SSD which default is SSD,like 2 big blue windows squares for which petition to boot from.
How do i solve this either way.

In windows disk management select the SSD and convert to "Basic" disk and it'll show in legacy.

You could try disabling secure boot and see where that gets you however be aware it might break your existing install.

On the left side where it has the name i have right clicked and changed it to MBR  as its this or GPT.

It is already on ''Basic'' so its trying this.

The SSD will show on Legacy as tried it and how i try to install windows but wont being a GPT partition but no HDD is on list.

If on UEFI i see no SSD but i see my HDD there so its either one or the other on either setting.

Solved it and thanks a lot for the advice.
Changed to MBR through the manager then into Bios and changed to Legacy and boot from USB hard disc then usb drive in on boot and windows is installing.
All I have to sort now is when all updated is to set my boot option on start up so I can pick HDD or SSD and transfer some stuff when on SSD windows,activated through Bios as it did on my other.

• Like 1

All i have to work out now is how to convert my HDD into MBR as on GPT so then when i boot up i have the choice of 2 operating systems.

Though Disc manager won't let me do it as MBR is there but blanked in grey.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club