Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Regeneration

Westville

Should I expect to see/hear/feel any indication(s) that the car is or has regenerated the DPF?

As I will be doing mainly short journeys don't want to have to visit the stealers to force a regen

The engine note changes, the mpg will increase, the cooling fan will stay one when you stop.

if you want a forced regen then you can do it with forscan.

may I also suggest if all you do is short runs you may have got the wrong engine option.

17 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

The engine note changes, the mpg will increase, the cooling fan will stay one when you stop.

may I also suggest if all you do is short runs you may have got the wrong engine option.

Cheers

I'm on with Forscan

I believe I said 

....... I will be doing mainly short journeys ......

:eek:

On 8/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, pragmatix said:

Which engine option should he have chosen then?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Petrol

Really? In an Edge? How would he have done that?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kelvin1950 said:

Really? In an Edge? How would he have done that?

Ok maybe i should have said car

Prior to making such a poor choice I owned a Land Rover Diesel for 4.5 years with a dpf and it was nigh on impossible to detect a regen occurring and nor did I have any problems with my use of the car. I don't subscribe to the view that short journey usage has a significant effect if you have a dpf fitted.

So, leaving aside my poor choice of vehicle - does anyone else have any pointers to indicate when dpf regenerates on Edge models? AND how often does it occur - or is that a piece of string question?

The land rover would have been euro 4 or 5 I'm guessing and not as low emmisions as today's euro 6/6.2.  therefore dpf regen would have occurred far less than today's cars/SUVs. 

Euro 6 2.0 tdci in the edge ( older Peugeot derived engine) probably regens passively every 50-100  miles depending on usage. My Mondeo regens every 60 miles or so. ( I do 14 mile each way trips to work and home ) 

The euro 6.2 ecoblue engine  probably less miles than that depending on usage. This engine is having issues in other ford models with regard to regens and oil dulution

• Like 1

I'm going to admit that I have no idea how or when my 210 has done a DPF regen in 22000 miles. I suppose it has but I've never noticed anything to suggest that it's doing one.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kelvin1950 said:

I suppose it has but I've never noticed anything to suggest that it's doing one.

When mine does it, you get a 'warm' smell and if it's doing it when I stop and get out, its quite a 'hot' smell. Would be nice if it had an info light on the dash when its doing it, because if you interrupt the regen cycle, it starts it all over again the next time the engine is up to temp. Can be a repetitive never completing cycle if your only doing less than short 10 min journeys!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simonb65 said:

When mine does it, you get a 'warm' smell and if it's doing it when I stop and get out, its quite a 'hot' smell. Would be nice if it had an info light on the dash when its doing it, because if you interrupt the regen cycle, it starts it all over again the next time the engine is up to temp. Can be a repetitive never completing cycle if your only doing less than short 10 min journeys!

That's why you shouldn't have a euro6/6.2 diesel if all your doing is short 10 min journeys. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, iantt said:

That's why you shouldn't have a euro6/6.2 diesel if all your doing is short 10 min journeys. 

Totally agree.

I think people these days fall into the trap of buying a car for looks and status symbol rather than choosing a vehicle that is actually practical and suitable for their daily drive cycle/needs. I think the only time people think of these considerations in 2019 is when deciding if an electric vehicle will cope with regular or occasional long journeys! Diesel became popular due to lower fuel costs and average cost/mile over petrol. Manufacturers latched on to that running cost driven demand by only offering diesel options on some models. Now the diesel cost tide is turning, some of those manufacturers and their customers are finding going tough and like you say are only being offered engine options that are not suitable for some. Saying that, sales people are not helping by not advising customers about the limitations.

As a side note: When I worked in the construction manufacturing industry, customers had their expected usage profiled to best match the machine to the tasks required. This drove both the machine type/size and power plant selection.

Totally agree.
I think people these days fall into the trap of buying a car for looks and status symbol rather than choosing a vehicle that is actually practical and suitable for their daily drive cycle/needs. I think the only time people think of these considerations in 2019 is when deciding if an electric vehicle will cope with regular or occasional long journeys! Diesel became popular due to lower fuel costs and average cost/mile over petrol. Manufacturers latched on to that running cost driven demand by only offering diesel options on some models. Now the diesel cost tide is turning, some of those manufacturers and their customers are finding going tough and like you say are only being offered engine options that are not suitable for some. Saying that, sales people are not helping by not advising customers about the limitations.
As a side note: When I worked in the construction manufacturing industry, customers had their expected usage profiled to best match the machine to the tasks required. This drove both the machine type/size and power plant selection.
What you say is correct. One of the most common terms I hear now is "well I wasn't told I'd need to do long journeys when I bought it" people don't get given the information.

Also yes people buy for status all the ***** time. It angers the ***** out of me. Like really angers me. I work as a tech. I regularly get people come in and say can you park my massive SUV cause I can't. ***** ridiculous.

I also hear. Well my ford/Peugeot/fiat never cost that much for tyres or repairs. Well you shouldn't have bought a ***** 2.5 tonne BMW to do the school run then Karen should you, you dozy ***** cow.
  • Haha 1

Sorry you may have sparked an angry response there [emoji23]

• Haha 4

DPFs have been factory fitted to mainstream cars for the last 15 years...how are there still people that don't know about them!? :laugh:

DPFs have been factory fitted to mainstream cars for the last 15 years...how are there still people that don't know about them!? [emoji23]

People don't look at what they're buying. They look at a nice shiney paint job and the fact it connects to Thier newest phone they have so they can show off to Thier buddies. Among the top complaints I get are

MPG are bad, when they've bought a petrol SUV
Dpf what's that shouldn't I have been told
Can't I just put cheap tyres on that aren't run flat
You just plug it in to diagnose why does it cost me X amount.
Stupid tyre pressure monitor systems on. When they haven't checked Thier tyre pressures in 6 months.
My oil is low why, it shouldn't use it.
My mate can do it cheaper
My mate tried to do it, it still doesn't work

These are heard on an almost weekly basis. Christ the insight you get to public stupidity in the motor trade is amazing
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

DPFs have been factory fitted to mainstream cars for the last 15 years...how are there still people that don't know about them!? :laugh:

Unless you are in the habit of lurking on forums like this and/or a reader of car mags, most people wouldn't have a clue what was under the bonnet and what it did, in the same way you don't get intricately involved in the workings of your microwave oven (is there a forum for that?😀). BMW found that about 90% of 1-Series buyers didn't know which end was driven, still less care, as long as it had that blue and white badge. (Given that rwd was supposedly the usp of that model, that sounds to me like a massive failure on BMW's part to connect with their customers.)

And I have found in the last year that staff at several local Ford dealerships (including, worryingly, "service advisors") knew nothing about GPF's now being fitted to petrol cars. 😚

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

And I have found in the last year that staff at several local Ford dealerships (including, worryingly, "service advisors") knew nothing about GPF's now being fitted to petrol cars. 😚

Got agree, when i picked up my car last year the person handing over the car,  supposedly his job not a salesman but a customer service advisor i believe was his title knew next to nothing about my car i had to explain to him how the keyless entry worked he used the fob to open it and said that to start the car it had to be in the centre console,  tried to tell me that i had to buy a disc to upgrade the sync3 nav.

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unless you are in the habit of lurking on forums like this and/or a reader of car mags, most people wouldn't have a clue what was under the bonnet and what it did, in the same way you don't get intricately involved in the workings of your microwave oven (is there a forum for that?😀). BMW found that about 90% of 1-Series buyers didn't know which end was driven, still less care, as long as it had that blue and white badge. (Given that rwd was supposedly the usp of that model, that sounds to me like a massive failure on BMW's part to connect with their customers.)

If I was buying a microwave the first thing I'd do is type into Google 'XXXX brand microwave common faults' same as I thought everyone did with any sort of appliance or car!  😮

Within seconds you'll find DPF issues being mentioned on any modern diesel. 

I'm surprised people are really that disinterested in what they're spending thousands of pounds on.  I spent a fortnight researching before spending a few hundred on a fridge freezer & washer dryer a few years ago... :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I know about them but no-one has ever explained to me about regeneration and the frequency of it.

6 hours ago, bashbarnard said:

My oil is low why, it shouldn't use it.

Lol.  On the 'VW emmisions scandal' page I was forever reading people complaining about blown engines from runaway turbos caused by excessive regens... When asked if they'd ever checked the oil level the answer was always 'no, it's serviced at VW/Audi every year, why should I check it?'... 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, kelvin1950 said:

I know about them but no-one has ever explained to me about regeneration and the frequency of it.

That's fair enough, you've got the option to ask about it or research it though.  Regen frequency depends entirely on your driving style, distances etc so it's not a simple thing to explain, or for the salesman to remember for each car.

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If I was buying a microwave the first thing I'd do is type into Google 'XXXX brand microwave common faults' same as I thought everyone did with any sort of appliance or car!  😮

Within seconds you'll find DPF issues being mentioned on any modern diesel. 

I'm surprised people are really that disinterested in what they're spending thousands of pounds on.  I spent a fortnight researching before spending a few hundred on a fridge freezer & washer dryer a few years ago... :laugh:

I'm the same, I research most appliances  before I buy. 

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club