Jon Bhoy

Steering vibration - drive shaft ?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Been having long term issues with steering vibration that at times was fairly violent.Found a few months back rear wheels needed replacing and put them at the front,had new discs and pads put in the front and garage found offside suspension arm bush needed replacing with the arm but still got a slight vibration thats annoying.So had all alloys refurbed and two were buckled so had that sorted and had about 3 alignments and balancing done too....its still there!

So took it to a performance car specialist who looked over it and said there was a slight vibration which he also felt through the seat and accelerator . Now the vibration is like something is out of play as it comes in about 65mph . The performance guy said the only thing he could find was slight play in the offside driveshaft but it was still fairly small and to leave it until it got worse.He said the cost to replace just the offside was £390.I asked if that was to do both sides as i have seen mobile guys charge that for the pair but he said just the one side !!

Anyone think this small amount of play may cause vibration through the steering at all ? Im just really confused about all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What tyres did you put on? If cheap tyres, these sometimes cause vibration.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ktmpedro220 said:

What tyres did you put on? If cheap tyres, these sometimes cause vibration.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
 

Always put Goodyear tyres on since i got it 4 years ago.The vibrations started about 2 months or so back .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ktmpedro220 said:

What tyres did you put on? If cheap tyres, these sometimes cause vibration.


 

Mine were the cheapest in the place, £45 inc everything each, work just fine. Can't even remember the 'make' as it was that obscure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dave sport tdci said:

I've seen Mk2 st twist the drive shafts and create vibration on acceleration mainly big torque is your car a 2.0 tdi

No its a Zetec S 1.8 petrol mate . The power is woeful if im honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon Bhoy said:

No its a Zetec S 1.8 petrol mate . The power is woeful if im honest.

It's all relative buddy, wait till you try a 1.6 petrol like mine, then you'll know what underpowered actually means LOL It you donned a pair of running shorts, you could give me a run for the money 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, Jon Bhoy said:

Hi all,

 

Been having long term issues with steering vibration that at times was fairly violent.Found a few months back rear wheels needed replacing and put them at the front,had new discs and pads put in the front and garage found offside suspension arm bush needed replacing with the arm but still got a slight vibration thats annoying.So had all alloys refurbed and two were buckled so had that sorted and had about 3 alignments and balancing done too....its still there!

So took it to a performance car specialist who looked over it and said there was a slight vibration which he also felt through the seat and accelerator . Now the vibration is like something is out of play as it comes in about 65mph . The performance guy said the only thing he could find was slight play in the offside driveshaft but it was still fairly small and to leave it until it got worse.He said the cost to replace just the offside was £390.I asked if that was to do both sides as i have seen mobile guys charge that for the pair but he said just the one side !!

Anyone think this small amount of play may cause vibration through the steering at all ? Im just really confused about all this.

Hi Mate I have 2ltr auto and been chasing a vibration through steering wheel I allready changed drive shafts and discs, pads, wheels, tyres, wheel bearings, drop links, so just got a good quality gearbox top mount because we found some movement when reving engine upto 3000 rpm which is about 70mph on road going to change this weekend will update what happens but intresting if anyone has any other ideas.

 

cheers

Alan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tekman said:

Hi Mate I have 2ltr auto and been chasing a vibration through steering wheel I allready changed drive shafts and discs, pads, wheels, tyres, wheel bearings, drop links, so just got a good quality gearbox top mount because we found some movement when reving engine upto 3000 rpm which is about 70mph on road going to change this weekend will update what happens but intresting if anyone has any other ideas.

 

cheers

Alan 

Id really appreciate if you would update me because for a while i had a gut feeling that i may have an engine mount or transmission mount thats loose but really have no idea how to check for it so you saying that comes at the right time.Hope the weathers kind if you are doing it outside ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 11:10 PM, Jon Bhoy said:

Id really appreciate if you would update me because for a while i had a gut feeling that i may have an engine mount or transmission mount thats loose but really have no idea how to check for it so you saying that comes at the right time.Hope the weathers kind if you are doing it outside 😉

Hi Jon

Update I have changed the top gearbox mount and taken for drive had it upto 70 and does appear to be sorted, the old one was multi cracked on all sides so not healthy at all,

so hopefully thats it sorted hope it helps mate.

cheers 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tekman said:

Hi Jon

Update I have changed the top gearbox mount and taken for drive had it upto 70 and does appear to be sorted, the old one was multi cracked on all sides so not healthy at all,

so hopefully thats it sorted hope it helps mate.

cheers 

Alan

Fantastic Alan !!!!! Thats brilliant news,bet you were really happy on the test drive :-)

Thanks very much for coming back and letting me know.Its something for me to have a look at for sure.

 

Thanks again mate and enjoy your non shaking driving ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Fantastic Alan !!!!! Thats brilliant news,bet you were really happy on the test drive 🙂

Thanks very much for coming back and letting me know.Its something for me to have a look at for sure.

 

Thanks again mate and enjoy your non shaking driving 😉

Hi Mate your very welcome

Hope it sorts it for you, I feel your frustration nothing more anoying when a vibration or banging can be so many things

let us know if you sort it and good luck mate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.