Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A member in need.. Crankshaft Position Sensor

WireyWhenWet

Hey guys,

Despite the appalling weather I'm in the middle of replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor on my mk2.5 1.6 petrol, and need a hand.

Where the sensor bolts in, there is a kind of round plate between the sensor and the housing of the engine case itself, which I can freely move in and outwards.

Does anyone know if there is an alignment to which way this plate should be to stop it moving? I've fitted a new sensor but immediately it's been eaten by the teeth inside as it's too far in. I'd almost say theres something missing, but I can't tell as the original was in the same predicament, and still bolted in tightly.

To clarify, The whole unit when bolted in tightly as it should, can be moved in and out with this plate.

Any help at all is very very much appreciated!

This is the closest thing I can offer to show the 'plate', it's free to move in and out and I don't believe it should

Screenshot_20190816-185807_Video Player.jpg

If the round plate moves in and out, the 2 bolts that hold it in place are loose. Unfortunately the bolts are on the other side of plate . Gearbox needs to come out. Had similar issue with a fiesta 1.6 zetec s a few years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ok, not two bolts, only one holding the plate in. 

Screenshot_20190816-194509.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that's a bit inconvenient. I do not know how much a sensor costs, from the point of view of risking another one.

I assume that the correct position is if you pull the plate towards you. 

what I might be tempted to do, push the plate away (in) as far as it goes. clean up round the edges of plate and hole with rough emery cloth.put some araldite around the join,pull the plate towards you and maybe smear some more araldite on. Leave to dry / harden (improvise some way of holding plate in position whilst hardening).

But there is the loose bolt on the other side, I assume that will eventually fall out of place, where will it go? will it cause damage?

Whilst I have removed gearboxes before it is no fun and I would be tempted to try any 'bodge' to avoid it. I am more likely to try a 'bodge' if I am keeping the car, not so keen on bodging something where you might get some comeback from someone else. 

• Thanks 1

Guys, thank you so much. As always, this forum is the way forward!

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Ok, not two bolts, only one holding the plate in. 

Screenshot_20190816-194509.png

Given the time and lack of tools I have I was hoping that this wouldn't have been the case, despite knowing it would be on the inside. Massive massive thank you for that screenshot -very much appreciated!

52 minutes ago, isetta said:

But there is the loose bolt on the other side, I assume that will eventually fall out of place, where will it go? will it cause damage?

So I actually admit I didn't see this post, however great minds think alike! I've basically had to quick-steel it 'in' as you mentioned, then have shimmed out the replacement sensor for now so that I get ignition timing and all seems well. The new sensor is definitely worse for wear, but most importantly functional.

With regards to where the bilt will eventually go, I'm not sure entirely but it appears as it should drop in to the sump and just live there, i wound imagine it will just roll around in there until I get chance to have it off.

Again, really really appreciate everything here guys, very helpful info, and damned hard to find for this motor!

• Like 2

The bolt will drop off and hit the flywheel probably then  Fall to bottom of gearbox housing.

• 2 years later...

By any chance is there a different type of plate that can be fitted to advance the timing on a 1.6 petrol engine? 98-02   02-07  models. Using this care for racing and want to make it fast without spending a bomb

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club