Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.4 semi auto

Kerry92

Hi everyone, first post on here. 

Last night I bought my first ford. It's a 2004 fiesta LX semi automatic durashift. It has been really well looked after and in great condition so I'm pleased with the purchase but just a little unsure on a semi auto.

So I only drive automatic anyway (I know eyerolls all round!) I'm pretty used to rubbish (even) older cars with all sorts of issues.

Can I just leave the car in A auto mode and drive without any other changes? 

I felt that when stopped at a light etc the car felt a little juddery but my husband who drives manual (2018 seat leon) went for a much longer drive and did not notice this. Is that because he's used to manual? 

I'm worried about going up hill and hill starts as I've always just left my foot on the brake and quickly on acceleration when ready to go, will that be the same? 

Any other advice please? 😊 Sorry I know this all probably sounds stupid but I'm still in my first year of driving too so probably just need to get used to this car 

Yes, you just drive it the same as you would a conventional auto.  Leave it in Drive and foot on the brake for traffic lights etc.  No need to return to neutral unless it's going to be a long wait like a level crossing.

They can be a bit juddery at standstill due to their design but it shouldn't be a problem as long as the car isn't trying to drag you forward.

Hill starts should be the same, although just remember the 1.4 isn't a powerful engine if you're used to something bigger.  For a steep hill start you may need to hold the brake with your left foot and give it a few revs with your right foot before lifting the brake.

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, you just drive it the same as you would a conventional auto.  Leave it in Drive and foot on the brake for traffic lights etc.  No need to return to neutral unless it's going to be a long wait like a level crossing.

They can be a bit juddery at standstill due to their design but it shouldn't be a problem as long as the car isn't trying to drag you forward.

Hill starts should be the same, although just remember the 1.4 isn't a powerful engine if you're used to something bigger.  For a steep hill start you may need to hold the brake with your left foot and give it a few revs with your right foot before lifting the brake.

Thank you 😊 I can stop over thinking it now! 

• Like 1

It's a robotised manual gearbox, not a conventional auto. Motors manually change/select gears and engage and disengage the clutch just as you would in a manual.

If it's a bit juddery then the clutch maybe not fully disengaging and requires either adjustment or the mechanism lubricating.

My advice would be to knock it into neutral if you're stopping any longer than a few seconds and not to hold it in drive whilst waiting on hills ( just as you wouldn't sit on the clutch to hold a manual car)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

My advice would be to knock it into neutral if you're stopping any longer than a few seconds and not to hold it in drive whilst waiting on hills ( just as you wouldn't sit on the clutch to hold a manual car)

Yes, I'd go along with this unless only being held up for a few seconds - also avoids dazzling those behind with your brake lights!

It really depends how long the wait is.  Part of the ease of an auto (or semi-auto) is the fact you don't have to keep returning to neutral and applying the handbrake in stop start traffic.  

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I'd go along with this unless only being held up for a few seconds - also avoids dazzling those behind with your brake lights!

MK4 Focus with auto hold keeps the brake lights on. The new norm I'm afraid

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

MK4 Focus with auto hold keeps the brake lights on.

Yes, another bit of "progress" I could do without. Not an issue with the OP's car, though.😀

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club