Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Polish

Hostahousey

What do you think is the best polish for your car. Which polish do you use?

Now do you mean polish or wax, a polish removes a small amount of paint a wax doesnt. Stay clear of wash and wax products not very effective and you get a build up which ends up dull.

I cant help with whats best as i get my car valeted and i cant remember what he uses.

As I understand it polish restore, wax protects.

you may be better asking in the general area a search may reveal a thread on this subject it has been discussed many times.

i have not polished a car for years but I always used MER

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15911606/mer-mer-polish-500ml-15911606/?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Shopping+FM

particularly good on older cars to make them look a lot smarter.

Still got some in my garage, the bottle is probably 15-20 years old now.

No idea if the formulation is still the same.

This is a can of worms really lol, totally depends what you want to do.

Even polishes aren't all 'polish', some have a heavy cut to remove scratches but can cause damage, some are just full of fillers which are easy to use but just mask scratches until the rain washes it off.

Either way, you will want to seal the paintwork after a polish with wax or sealant to protect your hard work!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Even polishes aren't all 'polish', some have a heavy cut to remove scratches but can cause damage, some are just full of fillers which are easy to use but just mask scratches until the rain washes it off.

Either way, you will want to seal the paintwork after a polish with wax or sealant to protect your hard work!

Thats why i now use a valet😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, isetta said:

i have not polished a car for years but I always used MER

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15911606/mer-mer-polish-500ml-15911606/?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Shopping+FM

particularly good on older cars to make them look a lot smarter.

Still got some in my garage, the bottle is probably 15-20 years old now.

No idea if the formulation is still the same.

I used to use MER very impressed with it back then.

16 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

As Tom says really.

I used to use Autoglym Super Resin Polish on my last car and that was still very shiny after 10+ years of ownership (13 year old car). Still have the remains from a litre bottle and I use that when necessary on the current car (when I find light marks). Otherwise I've only applied a wax or a coating to protect the paint after I had it professionally polished about 4.5 years ago...been using Gtechniq C2 or Fusso Wax (dark) and Mer Wheel Wax to protect the alloys.

However, I have been trying out Scholl Concepts S20 Black with a Dual Action polisher and Scholl pads...been practicing on an old bonnet and just used it to polish out the light marks on the piano black plastic B pillars on my car and the alloy wheels and centre caps. My next task is to polish the bonnet with this and then use Fusso wax to protect it. I had hoped to polish the whole car and apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo but I don't seem to get the time nor have a garage.

If you don't wan to go to this level of polishing then the Autoglym or Mer options are good for most people. My car, being black, used to look very dull after a wash and that's when I started to read about polishing etc. here are some photos, note the swirl marks that were removed from the centre caps and the 50/50 photo that the Detailer took when he polished my car.

10481921_906256182749387_1839670210552515874_o.jpg

10562675_906256162749389_4949116835639998490_o.jpg

11536452_906256139416058_3459315047986561536_o.jpg

IMG_20190420_135620.jpg

IMG_20190421_110008.jpg

• Like 2

I also used to use MER (mainly on my bikes) with good results. Still using the remains of a large container from years ago, which I keep at our static caravan for when that needs a spruce up and to give the car the odd quick polish while I'm there.

Also have had good results from Zymol wax, silly price (about £48 for a 225g jar now I think), but again I'm still using some from about 15 years ago - a little goes a long way. Other than those, I've used Meguiars and Autoglym with no complaints.

1 hour ago, Hostahousey said:

Anyone used Poorboys ?

I've used Poorboys Natty's Paste wax and their wheel sealant.  I haven't used any of their polish so far.  I would like to try their Black Hole Glaze next though, it's just full of fillers instead of cutting but it produces a mirror finish.  You absolutely must protect it with wax or sealant though as it is just filler so won't last long otherwise.

3 hours ago, Hostahousey said:

Anyone used Poorboys ?

Is that not Jamie Whithams band😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pragmatix said:

2 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Top bloke - I believe he's still doing ok after his most recent brush with Hodgkin's.

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Top bloke - I believe he's still doing ok after his most recent brush with Hodgkin's.

Yep can be seen commentating on BSB rounds and the odd WSB round great knowledge and sense of humour. 

Are

20 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Are they a waxed  or polished band .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club