Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ordered an ST Line X - confused on Delivery

Owenc

I ordered an ST Line X about six weeks ago. I was given a Lead Time of around ten weeks by the Ford Dealership, so the second week of September.

I have been provided with an Order Number but no VIN. As far as I can see I cannot do anything with this order number. Is that true? 

I rang the Dealership two weeks ago and was told that there was no VIN and the factory had not started to construct the car.

Is there anything I can do to find out more about the car or what is going on with it?

This seems like an awfully long process and waiting time for a Ford. I assumed that there would be a car park of Focus’ sitting waiting due to the popularity of the car, but apparently not. 

Unless a dealers got exact spec you want they are still all being built to order however customer orders should take precedence over dealer orders . 9 weeks is normal so all you can do is wait. You won't see a VIN until its built and not until dealer gets it which can be quick once its built. Its actually much the same now with most manufacturers.

12 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Unless a dealers got exact spec you want they are still all being built to order however customer orders should take precedence over dealer orders . 9 weeks is normal so all you can do is wait. You won't see a VIN until its built and not until dealer gets it which can be quick once its built. Its actually much the same now with most manufacturers.

So what stage would think it would be at, at this point? Have they even started to construct it?

Mine was built to order and tracking it on the Ford system the dealer was able to tell me a week or so in advance of the exact day on which it was to be built. If your dealer knows the car hasn't been built yet there's a reasonable chance he'll be able to tell you the build date as soon as it appears in the system.

50 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Mine was built to order and tracking it on the Ford system the dealer was able to tell me a week or so in advance of the exact day on which it was to be built. If your dealer knows the car hasn't been built yet there's a reasonable chance he'll be able to tell you the build date as soon as it appears in the system.

How long did yours take?

Mine was built to order, dealer said the standard 10 weeks but it only took 8.  

Mine was built on 6 Dec last year, dealer got the VIN the day before , I believe. It was delivered on 10 Jan but obviously there was Christmas and New Year in between for me!.

I think it's typically 3 weeks from build date. AFAIK It leaves from Sarlouis, almost as soon as built, by rail to Rotterdam. Then to a holding compound in the UK by ship pretty quickly.

It's then a bit variable as to how it moves by car transporter to the final destination, usually via one or more intermediate destinations. I suspect getting to NI is going to add a further little delay though...

Mine took just over 4 weeks from build date until it was ready for me to pick up.

Be aware that the expected production date can change without any notification. If parts needed for options of the car that are not available because of part shortage or put on hold because of technical reasons the production date can be delayed for undefined time. 

There are several examples of people who had to wait over 8 months for delivery of their Focus MK4. 

Another thing that can delay the production date is the factory holiday. The factory is completely closed for a period of 3 weeks. This usually results in approximately a 3 to 4 weeks delay. 

• Like 1

LOL, oh, the impetuous nature of "I ordered it so I want it now"! Having not bought a new car for over 30 years, I'd forgotten how impatient you can get.🤣 You should bookmark this post so that in 2 years time, when something breaks/falls off, you can recall all that excitement of waiting for it to be built!

• Haha 1

So it won’t be ready for the 10 week mark then? 

I can understand the frustration waiting for a new car, and in the past they did seem to have car parks full of cars waiting to be sold.

We now have possibly too many options on new cars and they are semi built to order. I remember years I go when I bought a new Nissan,I was given the choice of Silver or Green as they were the only colours being painted that month.😂

10 Weeks is acceptable IMHO,  its the chap waiting 27 weeks for a vignale that I find outrageous.

As I mentioned on another thread, if the specified delivery date is exceeded by 3 months, there is a provision to cancel:

19 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This would depend on whether a delivery date was specified when placing the order - the standard Ford Retail Customer Order Form has provision for this to be included. The Conditions on the reverse include:

"4 (b) Should the vehicle and accessories not be delivered within three months of the desired delivery date the Retail Customer may by giving written notice to the Seller cancel this contract and thereupon the deposit paid hereunder by the Retail Customer shall be refundable in full. "

otherwise there's not a lot you can do. Depending on how far the process has gone, it can sometimes be possible to amend the order if there is a problem with one of the options - but then you are not getting what you wanted.

This sort of thing seems to be becoming par for the course - a lot of us waited over 6 months for Fiestas in 2017/2018 - in that case there was an issue with part leather seats. I lurk on other forums and on VW group cars in particular, waits of over 12 months are by no means uncommon.

Just had another thought on delivery delays. I believe all cars registered from 1 September 2019 have to meet RDE 2 (real driving emissions). I wonder if there have been delays in getting cars certified to this, as there have been with WLTP?

mmm... no one blame Brexit yet? LOL

On 8/19/2019 at 5:32 PM, Owenc said:

I ordered an ST Line X about six weeks ago. I was given a Lead Time of around ten weeks by the Ford Dealership, so the second week of September.

I have been provided with an Order Number but no VIN. As far as I can see I cannot do anything with this order number. Is that true? 

I rang the Dealership two weeks ago and was told that there was no VIN and the factory had not started to construct the car.

Is there anything I can do to find out more about the car or what is going on with it?

This seems like an awfully long process and waiting time for a Ford. I assumed that there would be a car park of Focus’ sitting waiting due to the popularity of the car, but apparently not. 

I ordered my St Line X 26th May told by dealer would be best to wait until 1st September to Register on 69 plate to which I replied that was not an issue as I have a private Reg so they could register as soon as the car arrived. Anyway as it turns out the factory had no intention of a build before 13th Sept and now are ESTIMATING yes that's correct ESTIMATING a build 20th Sept with an ETA at dealer of week ending 19th October that is if they don't change it again.  21 weeks for a Ford that is a joke My current 2014 Zetec S took 11 weeks from factory which I thought was a long time and when it arrived they had managed to fit a STANDARD rear SPOILER instead of the bigger one it should have had. 

On 8/29/2019 at 7:03 PM, Midgeman said:

I ordered my St Line X 26th May told by dealer would be best to wait until 1st September to Register on 69 plate to which I replied that was not an issue as I have a private Reg so they could register as soon as the car arrived. Anyway as it turns out the factory had no intention of a build before 13th Sept and now are ESTIMATING yes that's correct ESTIMATING a build 20th Sept with an ETA at dealer of week ending 19th October that is if they don't change it again.  21 weeks for a Ford that is a joke My current 2014 Zetec S took 11 weeks from factory which I thought was a long time and when it arrived they had managed to fit a STANDARD rear SPOILER instead of the bigger one it should have had. 

Oh dear that's terrible. I will be contacting my Dealership tomorrow to try and get a VIN Number to track the progress and see what is going on. He said delivery around 21st September for me, but potentially earlier. I do hope it's not pushed back any further, it's a long wait just for a Ford Focus.

I agree it's a long wait but there's no such thing as "just" a Focus.  The MK4 is as packed with kit as any A class.  All modern cars are complex these days.

• Like 3

some combinations of engine, transmission and options seems to be a problem. For example the combination of the 1.5 ECOblue diesel engine, automatic transmission and a factory fitted towing hook. Several people who ordered this combination are waiting for a very long time for delivery of the car. Some of them ordered the car in November 2018 and are still waiting for delivery.

This suggest that for some combinations there is either a shortage of parts or there is a technical problem with that particular combination that needs to be solved first before the production is rescheduled.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I agree it's a long wait but there's no such thing as "just" a Focus.  The MK4 is as packed with kit as any A class.  All modern cars are complex these days.

The line between "premium" and "mainstream" is getting increasingly blurred nowadays. I wonder how many Mercedes buyers realise that their lower power petrol A-Class shares a 1.3 engine with a Nissan Qashqai, for instance?.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The line between "premium" and "mainstream" is getting increasingly blurred nowadays. I wonder how many Mercedes buyers realise that their lower power petrol A-Class shares a 1.3 engine with a Nissan Quashquai, for instance?.

Having owned a 'C' class I spent quite a bit of time on the Mercedes owners forum. I think you'd find that many owners realise that though marketed as a 'premium brand', they haven't been properly & solidly built since the late 90s... (As with any car brand, there are numerous issues that make them break down and potentially unreliable)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Having owned a 'C' class I spent quite a bit of time on the Mercedes owners forum. I think you'd find that many owners realise that though marketed as a 'premium brand', they haven't been properly & solidly built since the late 90s... 

A friend of mine owned and loved a W203 C-class for 7 years or so. He was bitterly disappointed with the W204 which followed  and quickly replaced that with a Honda CRV. He's just got his fourth one so must be happy with them!😀

I had a W204 C class for 3 years, 8 years old to 11 years old.  Bits wore out on it with age just as frequently as any other car.

That said it did have a feel about it that the Focus, as good as car as it is, just doesn't.  Could be that it was rear wheel drive which I do like.  Being pushed rather than pulled.  Long bonnet makes it feel "posh" too.

I know I wouldn't pay extra just to have a FWD A class or Audi, or 1 series, as the Focus is a better car.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

.  Long bonnet makes it feel "posh" too.

Especially looking at that 3 pointed star on the end LOL

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club