Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2014 Powershift problem

ctjorourke

Hi All

Maybe someone on here can help me with the above problem,  now i know that the focus has some serious problems with the powershift clutch in focus's from 2012 to 2016 which i am now experiencing, took the car to ford yesterday and they completed a software update (which i am sure will probably not work after researching on google) told to wait 500 miles before returning so the car can adjust to my driving.

My main question would be how long would a reasonable wear and tear on this kind of clutch be before it needs to be replaced,  the reason i ask is when i purchased the car two years ago i took out a 3 year extended warranty and the clutch is included in this Stating, All parts are covered except hoses, cables pipes, and any part which is replaced due to wear and tear.

I would like to go back to ford with at least a rough knowledge so i can ( if needed ) get the clutch pack replaced on the warranty purchased.

Any help would be gratefully accepted

Chris

Being subjected to wear and tear a clutch is usually not covered by any warranty unless there is an actual defect that resulted in clutch failure. 

It is virtually impossible to say how long the clutch should last. It all depends on driving conditions and driving style of the driver. Clutch wear however is known to be quite common on many types of the Powershift transmission. This is just a characteristic of this type of transmission. A software update will reduce the wear of the clutch by reducing clutch slip and engine power during gear changes but is no solution for a clutch that is already worn.

Being a characteristic of this type of transmission the wear of the clutch can be considered as normal wear and tear. From this point of view I suspect that the clutch will not be covered by any warranty. 

12 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Being subjected to wear and tear a clutch is usually not covered by any warranty unless there is an actual defect that resulted in clutch failure. 

It is virtually impossible to say how long the clutch should last. It all depends on driving conditions and driving style of the driver. Clutch wear however is known to be quite common on many types of the Powershift transmission. This is just a characteristic of this type of transmission. A software update will reduce the wear of the clutch by reducing clutch slip and engine power during gear changes but is no solution for a clutch that is already worn.

Being a characteristic of this type of transmission the wear of the clutch can be considered as normal wear and tear. From this point of view I suspect that the clutch will not be covered by any warranty. 

Thank you for the info  i forgot to mention that my car is the automatic version that was having the serious problems in the model worldwide,  and has only done roughly 25,000 miles, just wondering if that would have any play in the situation  i have seen that this type of clutch should last anywhere between 40,000 and 100,000 miles, depending on as you mention the way it is used, also should post that i am not the type of heavy footed person,  due to being 61 years old  lol.

1 hour ago, ctjorourke said:

Hi All

Maybe someone on here can help me with the above problem,  now i know that the focus has some serious problems with the powershift clutch in focus's from 2012 to 2016 which i am now experiencing, took the car to ford yesterday and they completed a software update (which i am sure will probably not work after researching on google) told to wait 500 miles before returning so the car can adjust to my driving.

My main question would be how long would a reasonable wear and tear on this kind of clutch be before it needs to be replaced,  the reason i ask is when i purchased the car two years ago i took out a 3 year extended warranty and the clutch is included in this Stating, All parts are covered except hoses, cables pipes, and any part which is replaced due to wear and tear.

I would like to go back to ford with at least a rough knowledge so i can ( if needed ) get the clutch pack replaced on the warranty purchased.

Any help would be gratefully accepted

Chris

Just to add  my car has only done roughly 25,000 miles and is the infamous automatic transmission also being driven by a 61 year old  sensibly.

5 hours ago, ctjorourke said:

Just to add  my car has only done roughly 25,000 miles and is the infamous automatic transmission also being driven by a 61 year old  sensibly.

I assume your car has one of the lower output engines and as a result has the "dry clutch" DCT250 Powershift box and not the more reliable "wet clutch" DCT450.  If the filte/rfluids are changed on time, the DCT450 is generally considered to be pretty reliable, the DCT250 however is another matter!

6 hours ago, ctjorourke said:

Thank you for the info  i forgot to mention that my car is the automatic version that was having the serious problems in the model worldwide,  and has only done roughly 25,000 miles, just wondering if that would have any play in the situation  i have seen that this type of clutch should last anywhere between 40,000 and 100,000 miles, depending on as you mention the way it is used, also should post that i am not the type of heavy footed person,  due to being 61 years old  lol.

The Powershift gearbox is basically a computer operated manual gearbox. The dual clutch principle makes it possible to preselect the next gear (that is expected by the computer) while another gear is engaged. This makes very fast gear changes possible. 

Being a computer operated manual gearbox the clutches (usually reffered to as clutch pack) are subjective to wear and tear. When shifting the computer controls the clutches and allows a certain amount of clutch slip to obtain the feeling/characteristic of a conventional full automatic gearbox. This is known to cause excessive clutch wear. The latest available software will reduce the clutch wear a little bit but can not prevent it. 

Because of the problems with the Powershift (often called Powershit) transmissions Ford replaced most of the Powershift gearboxes by conventional torque convertor full automatic transmissions. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club