Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant flush waiting times

Jon Bhoy

Hi all,

About to do my first coolant flush and very busy over next few days so want to do a coolant flush and change.A few folk flush through 2-3 times but i want to try and get that all done in a day.I just wondered if i leave the endine to cool how long is it before i can pour cold water safely into the reservoir that it wont damage radiator etc. Would 2-3 hours be ok?

Cheers folks,

Jon 

Drain it and refill, doesn’t need over complicated. Preferably drain when cool to avoid scalding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Drain it and refill, doesn’t need over complicated. Preferably drain when cool to avoid scalding. 

Cheers Stef,i know its pretty easy but the guides keep saying leave overnight which will be to long but on the other hand i obviously dont want to pour cold water in to a hot cooling system.

The guides can say what they want, just think of how much it would cost you in labour if a professional garage had to tie up a lift to change your coolant.. 

let the system cool off if you have driven it before hand, more so important because you don’t want it all over yourself. Then it’s perfectly fine to fill the system, run it up to temp/bleed it and top up as required. I always check the system lsvel again when cold or advise the owner to do so if it’s leaving me before it cools. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stef123 said:

The guides can say what they want, just think of how much it would cost you in labour if a professional garage had to tie up a lift to change your coolant.. 

let the system cool off if you have driven it before hand, more so important because you don’t want it all over yourself. Then it’s perfectly fine to fill the system, run it up to temp/bleed it and top up as required. I always check the system lsvel again when cold or advise the owner to do so if it’s leaving me before it cools. 

Yeah hence why im doing it myself as i dont have a spare kidney to sell on eBay for it 😉

Cheers Stef.

• Like 1

There’s no danger anyone will tie a lift up for a shift to do coolant, it’s a standard procedure. An hours labour plus coolant. I’m annoyed enough right now I’ve got a Megane tying my lift up for a Renault only brake hose! 

working on the ground it shouldn’t take you longer than an hour to do. Takes longer farting about getting access if it has an undertray. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stef123 said:

There’s no danger anyone will tie a lift up for a shift to do coolant, it’s a standard procedure. An hours labour plus coolant. I’m annoyed enough right now I’ve got a Megane tying my lift up for a Renault only brake hose! 

working on the ground it shouldn’t take you longer than an hour to do. Takes longer farting about getting access if it has an undertray. 

Yep got the undertray off which isnt so bad and doing an oil change at the same time but i feel your pain as i wanted to get that done tonight but got my oil and filter arrive by courier at 6pm and just realised they have sent the wrong filter.So car up on jacks with no oil or water in it.....just be my luck to sleep walk and start the bloomin thing up! haha

Thanks for your help tonight Stef,very much appreciated and hope you sort the brake hose sharpish.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club