Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New engine required!

langmad

Hi Guys,

Are any of you aware of a 'common fault' with Mk3 Focus 1.0ltr pertaining to the coolant system? I had a breakdown today and the AA recovery man says that it is a common fault with this engine. I had a sudden loss of coolant which may have cracked the block. There is no compression! I have left it at the main Ford dealer who would not commit but said that he would assess the fault and if suitable will contact Ford direct.

Your thoughts would be really appreciated.

Does it by any chance have the old style degas hose? These fracture and fail, causing a loss of coolant. 

Hi stef123, I have no idea. Thank you for responding.

15 hours ago, langmad said:

Hi Guys,

Are any of you aware of a 'common fault' with Mk3 Focus 1.0ltr pertaining to the coolant system? I had a breakdown today and the AA recovery man says that it is a common fault with this engine. I had a sudden loss of coolant which may have cracked the block. There is no compression! I have left it at the main Ford dealer who would not commit but said that he would assess the fault and if suitable will contact Ford direct.

If your on Facebook search ford ecoboost nightmare, it’ll make you weep!

3 hours ago, langmad said:

Hi stef123, I have no idea. Thank you for responding.

Have you owned the car from new?  If so, you should have received a recall letter about changing to the newer style degas hose a while ago now.  However even this newer style degas hose still breaks and causes the same symptoms anyway, it's really not ideal!

Chances are you'll be quoted about £5k for a new engine.  I doubt Ford will pay anything towards it but there's no harm in asking.

• Like 1

there is a narrow pipe / hose that connects to coolant reservoir at top edge. The old 'hose' was a shiny black plastic pipe with thin walls (which breaks). The newer replacement hose is more of a traditional rubber type hose (more flexible and thicker walls).

As above, loads of failures, but then again there are lots of these cars around so I don't know if the percentage is particularly high.

Another 'problem' is the rusty metal coolant pipes on the turbo, I have not heard of those actually failing yet but seen lots of pictures of them with worrying deep rust pitting on them.

I mention this so that if you decide your current car is a write off and buy another, you know of these points

• Like 1

21 hours ago, langmad said:

Hi Guys,

this was on BBC watchdog dead std along with other models going up in flames

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

However even this newer style degas hose still breaks and causes the same symptoms anyway, it's really not ideal!

Yep improved hose was still a piece of sh**.  Ford should have recalled every one of these cars and fitted MK 3.5 style hoses if they were that concerned about fried ecoboost engines instead of the shi**y designed replacement.

It would be great if this topic: EcoBoost degas hose question were made a sticky with a title like "WARNING TO ALL 1.0 ECOBOOST OWNERS - REPLACE COOLANT PIPES".  And also warn everyone to check for cracking expansion tanks regularly because that's another one that could easily catch anyone out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, isetta said:

Another 'problem' is the rusty metal coolant pipes on the turbo, I have not heard of those actually failing yet but seen lots of pictures of them with worrying deep rust pitting on them

I had the Technical service Bulletin 16-2088 procedure carried out on my turbo coolant stubs in May last year and rust is already showing again on them. I expect my local Ford dealership will wash their hands of it as it's over 12 months so I'll probably have to try and do something myself. I think the treatment involved some sort of water-based epoxy so I don't know what, if anything, will be compatible with it.

I also left full details of the Mk3.5 coolant hose upgrade with their service reception who promised to talk to the workshop and get back to me. They never have so I'm now looking for another dealer in my area that I can rely on - if such exists. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Like 2

"I think the treatment involved some sort of water-based epoxy". the fact that it is water based is the probably the  problem.  eco friendly water based stuff is usually inferior. But I don't know what would be best.  when I look at tins of paint / varnish etc the higher the VOC content (volatile organic compounds) the better it will work (probably).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club