Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam belt change misfire😩

fluff2693

Hi, I have just had cam belt and water pump renewed along with full service on 63 plate 27000 mile 1.2  ka and mot (passed)

Got car back 3 mile down road auto stop start unavailable appears and engine management light comes on  .Mechanic comes back plugs in multiple misfires😪😩😩

So he checks and replaces plugs leads and coil Drives couple miles and you guessed same fault.

Running out of ideas anyone out there got a clue whats going on and what problem likely to be.

Anyone with any ideas or previous issues Please Please HELP

Sounds like a low battery, may have been shunted around the garage a few times without much alternator charge in between?

There is the chance that the belt was fitted slightly wrong so the timing is off or crank sensor not refitted correctly etc.  Difficult to diagnose over the internet unfortunately.

Thanks Tom , I have double checked battery and its fine.

I was thinking the mechanic wont have disturbed anything else and as replaced coil plugs and leads that would discount them as before cambelt change old ones where fine so changing checking them was first call.

so my thinking would be something involving cambelt 

anymore suggestions welcome

Crank/cam sensor would be the main thing potentially wrong after a belt change, unless they've physically fitted the belt wring and knocked the timing out slightly.  Probably also worth checking the knock sensor wasn't damaged at all, I'm not sure where it is on this engine though, might be well away from the belt area.

Do you feel/hear the misfires of could it be a false code?  Would also check that all injectors are plugged in tight just in case it's fuel related rather than spark.

Thanks again Tom😁,

The injectors havent shouldnt have been touched should they ? Running fine till service cambelt change. Ref the cam sensor is that in the area of belt?

when I say misfire I mean splutter then not able to rev then revs fine then revs really slowly his computer said multiple random misfires 😪 management light steady on then flashes then on randomly.

Oh ok, there's definitely a problem then lol! 

The injectors shouldn't have been touched directly but you can't assume they weren't accidentally knocked.  Something as simple as removing an engine cover can disturb wiring and plugs, let alone ratchet handles flying around for the spark plug change etc.  Checking every plug you can see for tightness wouldn't be a bad idea just in case! 

Did it run fine for the first 3 miles after you left the garage?  This is the part that's confusing me tbh!  It's not an engine I'm overly familiar with (it's actually a Fiat engine rather than a Ford one!) but it looks like the crank sensor wiring runs around the inside of the cambelt cover...I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't been refitted correctly and is either trapped somewhere of getting rubbed by the belt so that's definitely worth checking.  The crank sensor is underneath, right by the crank pulley.  The cam sensor is on top, just behind the belt covers so again not impossible to get knocked.

Tom you are a legend🍺

Hopefully the mechanic will double check these connections/sensors .

I will ask him if he has and double check timing is correct think its a bit of a job to check moving the covers etc but it needs sorting 

once again thank you

No worries.  Keep us updated when you do find the solution.

I didn't realise it was still at the garage btw, most mechanics hate forum advice! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Definitely the cambelt is at fault. Exactly your symptoms occur when belt a tooth or more out. All sorts of dtcs pop up . 

How do I know?? Some dipstick who I worked with did 2 cambelts the same with same outcome. Needless to say he left/ got pushed. Useless *****. He didn't learn from his first mistake. 

He now works at another ford ford dealer. 

The Ka cambelt is so easy to do with the right alignment  tools, even without the tools it's easy enough to do with a dab of paint.

• Like 2

Hi, So the plot thickens, took car back to mechanic he gets fault to show up plugs in his computer he now says oxygen sensor lamba after the cat .

Now I have tried getting a new one and nobody keeps them ( they dont go wrong so dont keep them) 

anyone any thoughts? 

He deffo says timing is fine 

Thanks everybody 

Someone needs to stop firing parts at this car and diagnose it.

has he physically checked the timing? Not just saying it. 

• Like 2

Hopefully ( I will make sure he checks timing) tooooo many of you saying its timing)

Really appreciate everyones input I will keep you upto date)

It’s far too much of a coincidence that the belt has just been done and now you have problems.

New timing belt and multiple cylinder misfires.. i know where I’d be starting, as already pointed out by Ian.. 

Thanks everyone , the mechanic says that  if the belt was 1 tooth out it would cause problem permanetly where as he turns of iml and it stays of sometimes for a mile sometimes couple miles but even before light comes on car doesnt fell right.

But everyone on forum seems to be saying different .

This forum has really enlightened me😃😃 please keep suggestions comments coming

Ok everyone an update the mechanic has had the car a week😪

He says the eml now only comes on at 70mph and sometimes goes off itself or if you turn off ignition and restart it goes off.

Anyone any ideas/ cures

Yeah, he's nacked your car.
You need another unconnected mechanic to diagnose the problem as the first one obviously doesn't want to admit he's messed up.
The lambda faults are probably because the valves are out of sync and too much unburnt fuel is going through the exhaust and fouling the system.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi Fluff

I had exactly the same problem with my Ford Ka 3 years ago. I brought my car to an central ford mechanic. First they said that the problem is in ignition system snd they changed all without success. Then they tried to change some codes in its ECU. And the problem solved. Now I have agian the same problem and went to same place but there was another mechanic who said that I need to change the ECU. I am sure it can be solved just by changing some settings of ECU but I don't know which one. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club