Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4TDCi timing belt replacement costs?

Manimalfloss

Morning all

I got my car in Jan on an 11 plate with 19500 miles on it, one elderly owner from new (only did 1900 miles one year) as i've a large daily commute i'm up to 28K already, i've been thinking i should probably get the timing belt done as regardless of the mileage on its, its still and 8 yo car.

Anyone got a cost or recent quote for this work and should i get anything else done while its in??

Ta

Ross

The Ford interval for these is 112k or 10 years.  You are of course welcome to change it sooner for your own peace of mind.

I'd recommend the full belt kit, plus water pump, coolant and auxiliary belt.  Rough estimate, £350 all in at an independent garage.

I have no idea what it would cost.

I can say it is a relatively simple job by modern standards of timing belts, at least a lot easier than it is on the petrol engines in fiestas. I mention that in case someone you know tells you how much theirs cost. Yours should be cheaper than a petrol one.

If you do change the water pump at the same time make sure it is a good quality one as if you put a cheap one in there it may well fail sooner than the original one would have done.

• 1 year later...

I have just found your site. great... I have a 2002 ford fusion 1.4 tdci and need to change the cam belt, i am quite competant with motor cycle  mechanics and basic car repairs , i have replaced clutches and drive shafts in the past but never a cam belt , do you think i would be able to tackle this task, [ i am a young 70 years old and feel quite able , i just need your advice re difficulty , time is not an issue and i have a good garage and tool set/range.

thank you 

philip jenkins

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Philip Jenkins said:

I have just found your site. great... I have a 2002 ford fusion 1.4 tdci and need to change the cam belt, i am quite competant with motor cycle  mechanics and basic car repairs , i have replaced clutches and drive shafts in the past but never a cam belt , do you think i would be able to tackle this task, [ i am a young 70 years old and feel quite able , i just need your advice re difficulty , time is not an issue and i have a good garage and tool set/range.

thank you 

philip jenkins

Hi,

It's not really difficult on this engine, just time consuming and awkward due to tight access.  As long as you're still flexible enough to squeeze up in the wheel arch it should be doable.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, TomsFocus said:

Hi,

It's not really difficult on this engine, just time consuming and awkward due to tight access.  As long as you're still flexible enough to squeeze up in the wheel arch it should be doable.

Thank you so much for the quick reply, really helpful  , this is such a good site.

• Like 2

Last year my daughter had the timing belt changed on her 2008 Fiesta at a main dealer for £230 the car had done 85000 miles. that was the good news, then at 100000 miles the head gasket went 🙁

• Sad 1