Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus fails to start now.

Steveharris

Hi.  I have my dad's old focus 2.0 zetec, a 2001, model.  Used by my son till mid 2017 and then stood unused until recently when I needed to move it.  I thought it would not start after more than two years but it burst into life straight away and ran perfectly. So I decided to get it through an mot  and use it.  Each time I started it there was no problem ( about twenty times so far ) but this week it fails to start at all.  The saga is as follows.

Parked it on The drive and switched off.  Only work done was some cleaning.  Got back in and tried to start it, with first two attempts it fired a couple of times but didn't start. Now it won't fire at all.  The  immobilizer light is flashing, switch on and it goes solid for a couple of seconds then out which is I believe correct.  BUT the rev counter and speedo do not swing through a full arc as it normally does on start up. If I disconnect the battery for a minute or so then reconnect, switch on and the clocks DO go through the arc as normal ONCE only but engine does not fire.

Checked there is fuel in it and the cut out inside by drivers leg has not tripped.

Plugged a scanner in and it shows NO FAULTS.

Engine management light goes out as soon as I start to turn engine over.

Central locking fuse taken out by my son ( that's my next question ) but never been a problem.

Any ideas please.       Thanks.

try charging the batt up on it or jump starting it and see if that makes it spring back into life 😉

I have tried that but no change.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Steveharris said:

I have tried that but no change.

Thanks.

Have you tried wiggling the key, just ensuring it's not the ignition barrel?

Have you tried another key?

When turning the key on, you should hear the fuel pump prime, do you hear it?

It's not normal for the dials to do a sweep on switch on, 'cept if you've disconnected the battery. That tells me you could have a connection problem, so check all earth's for corrosion, clean' em up if necessary by wire brushing, unscrewing and retightening etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.

Have tried both keys but no joy.

Will have to try the pump and connections on Tuesday so I will come back to you then.

Thanks again.