DEVSR2

Retrofit door edge protectors

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Anyone ever retrofitted door edge protectors? Parking in a town centre can be narrow and fed up of near misses on walls! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DEVSR2 said:

Hi all,

Anyone ever retrofitted door edge protectors? Parking in a town centre can be narrow and fed up of near misses on walls! 

I’d imagine the slots for the mechanism to fit are there regardless if it’s fitted, I bet it’s difficult to get a mechanism though. 

Wouldnt it be easier to fit some “fixed” protectors onto the doors? Not as aesthetically pleasing I suppose but not awful if you find some ok looking ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah just checked , the mechanism hole is there capped off with a piece of rubber. The arms are average priced on the bay of e but can't find the mechanism, will have to try source the part number somehow..

I've had some fixed protectors on the car now for around two weeks but everyone I see them , they get on my nerves 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone help in sourcing the part number for the mechanism that sits in the door? I've tried some online parts sites and can't locate for love nor money. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DEVSR2 said:

Can anyone help in sourcing the part number for the mechanism that sits in the door? I've tried some online parts sites and can't locate for love nor money. Thanks

This probably won't be much help but I've been informed that the Ford Parts UK online store has closed when I enquired about a part so its now trickier to obtain part numbers etc. 

I've found two Ford dealers who sell Ford parts - Rates Ford and Arnold Clark Ford. I've glanced and couldn't find one for a Fiesta but they did have this for a Focus:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-Mk3-N-S-Rear-Door-Edge-Protector-Guard-2014-2017-1803903/273421338289?hash=item3fa92e86b1:g:dyEAAOSw3CdcZHBv

On picture inspection, my guess would be that the mechanism would be the same whether its a Fiesta or something else. Only difference would most likely be the cable length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @DG97, that looks exactly what I'd need but look at the price!! It'd make the retrofit nearer £250 mark. 

Might have to rethink this one or find 'nicer' looking fixed ones - wish I ticked the box now.

Yeah I asked FPUK a while back and they never replied, went on their site but there's no items for sale anymore so that's a shame. Got some good bits from them over last year or so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DEVSR2 said:

Thanks @DG97, that looks exactly what I'd need but look at the price!! It'd make the retrofit nearer £250 mark. 

Might have to rethink this one or find 'nicer' looking fixed ones - wish I ticked the box now.

Yeah I asked FPUK a while back and they never replied, went on their site but there's no items for sale anymore so that's a shame. Got some good bits from them over last year or so!

The part is a rare one so the sad reality might be either a new part with the high cost or trying to find something from a breakers yard. £250 for a retrofit using new parts is a bit too much imo for what the functionality of it is worth. 

An ebay search for anything to do with door protectors just returns the rubbish stick-on ones from the 1990s. It'd be good to see if you can find some nice looking ones as I bet there are some around. 

I'm a bit gutted they're no longer a thing, it made it much easier to find parts and part numbers to then throw into ebay and buy at a lower price 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have these on my Fiesta Titanium - I will have a look and see if there is a part number visible on them too. 

They are good at their job however the passenger door one on our car ( despite being opened less ) has decided to start sticking when you close the door so the door does not shut properly and will have to be look at / replaced under warranty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pull the trigger and do the retrofit at your Ford dealer if it's possible.

It will be cheaper on long run, since paintshop could be very expensive after all!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had these door guards fitted on my St Line Fiesta since new. They were a fantastic piece of kit and worked well however in last 3 months the passengers door started sticking and prevented door being closed properly then the drivers door started. I’ve just returned from the Ford dealer have had them checked and because they appear to be working internally but sticking non the less Ford wont sanction a replacement. Short end is I’ve had them removed at cost of £9 for replacement gromitts and I’m not impressed with Ford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tiger said:

I’ve had these door guards fitted on my St Line Fiesta since new. They were a fantastic piece of kit and worked well however in last 3 months the passengers door started sticking and prevented door being closed properly then the drivers door started. I’ve just returned from the Ford dealer have had them checked and because they appear to be working internally but sticking non the less Ford wont sanction a replacement. Short end is I’ve had them removed at cost of £9 for replacement gromitts and I’m not impressed with Ford

Mine, and a lot of other people's are failing too. 

Someone elsewhere on the board was told by their dealership that they would fix them under warranty but to await a 'proper' fix from Ford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem being reported on MK4 Focus . Haven't gone back to dealer yet with mine. Only seems to happen on doors that are not used often .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.