Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrong tyre size

Rayman1971

Hi I recently bought a 2014 fiesta zetec from a ford dealer a few weeks ago.all has been fine until I noticed a rubbing noise which seemed to be coming from the rear wheels when taking corners etc. I had picked up my sister and kids from the airport and it was the first time I had a full load of people in the car.  I had a look at the rear tyres and it seems to have a slight colour of paint of the car. The tyres seemed to be very close to the wheel arch and I looked at the size they were 195/65 r15. I checked on various tyre suppliers websites and put in my car reg and they all say the tyres should be 195/55 r15. Does anyone think this could be the issue. 

The Tyre Pressure sticker on the door pillar should show what size of tyres were fitted when it left the factory, or give the sizes of tyres that can be fitted to that car.

I just checked on the inside of the door and it’s meant to be 195/55 r15. I think I will bring it back to them as really it should have the correct size of tyre on it when I bought it from them. 

Don't forget a 55 will have a smaller ( skinnier) side wall than a 65 (10 percent difference in tyre width/ sidewall ratio)

Yes the 55 is what should have been on it. The 65 has a higher sidewall and I think that what the problem is as its. It’s very close to the arch. Also been reading that with that bigger profile tyre on my speedo will be reading incorrectly also. I will be going faster than the speedo says I am !! It’s all really concerning me. Anyway I’ve phoned the dealer and I have an appointment tomorrow so I will know then. 

Just back from the dealer and they have carried out inspection of my car. The tyres were the wrong size and the noise was them rubbing on the wheel arch. They replaced the tyres for me. I guess who ever inspected the car before they sold it to me looked at the tyres which were very new and thought they were fine. Which is what I did when I looked at the car before I bought it. But obviously checking they were the right size didn’t enter my mind!

14 hours ago, Rayman1971 said:

Just back from the dealer and they have carried out inspection of my car. The tyres were the wrong size and the noise was them rubbing on the wheel arch. They replaced the tyres for me. I guess who ever inspected the car before they sold it to me looked at the tyres which were very new and thought they were fine. Which is what I did when I looked at the car before I bought it. But obviously checking they were the right size didn’t enter my mind!

Glad your sorted.