Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Titanium Wheels & Tyres

SHEP

I have a 2009 1.6 Petrol Fiesta Titanium on 16" wheels and 195/45 R16 Tyres. My problem is that I find the ride a little harsh, probably down to my advancing years and a bad back. There are two possible solutions as I see it:

1. Find someone with a Zetec fitted with 195/50 tyres on 15" wheels and do a swap. My alloys are unmarked and the tyres have done 12000 in a straight line, very little wear.

2. Change the current tyres and fit 195/50 tyres onto my current 16" wheels. This would make the speedo over read by about 1MPH and increase the ride height by 9mm. Has anybody tried this, or found any other solutions?

Any advice appreciated.

As one of the more ancient forum members I share your thoughts SHEP. The ride is indeed on the hard side on ill-kept country roads. On decent surfaces I find it perfectly OK. Regretfully I can offer no suggestions other than those you already have though I do find that the week's supermarket shopping in the back quietens the ride noticeably.

Most members of this forum appear to be enthusiastic youngsters who perceive 17" wheels and skinnier tyres to be the way to go.

It's a shame that Ford UK do not offer 15" wheels as a possibility on the Titanium, unlike Ford Germany for instance.

Pending any better ideas I've decided to leave the wheels and tyres as they are. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Many thanks for your reply. Its good to know that I am not the only one having to suffer. If I find an acceptable solution I will let you know.

To be honest, I'm at the older end of the forum but I find the Titanium more than comfortable around town.

• Like 1

As a more 'senior' member of the forum also - I too have a Titanium - one with the 16" optional 7-spoke wheels - rather than the standard 16" 15-spoke alloys.

The ride around towns/cities is fine. Infact - I'd go so far as to say that I love the firmer ride of the Fiesta! Each to their own of course - but personally I hate cars that 'wallow' around bends & corners like so many did/still do. For that reason - I am glad Ford opted to tune the Titanium's ride on a firmer setting...but not too much so.

I agree that on poorly-maintained country roads & in the current pot-hole-ridden network of highways we have - the Fiesta can be somewhat 'juddery' and a bit of a bone-shaker! But - again - I much prefer the pay-off of firmer ride experience overall (I do mainly motorway/A-Road driving) than 'lolloping' in & out of holes/dips/craters!

Previous to the Fiesta, I owned a 1.6 Citroen C2 VTR with a very firm ride...and loved all 3 years of driving/owning it! Perhaps this has clouded my judgement somewhat?

And before you ask - I am aged 49 !!!

As a more 'senior' member of the forum also - I too have a Titanium - one with the 16" optional 7-spoke wheels - rather than the standard 16" 15-spoke alloys.

The ride around towns/cities is fine. Infact - I'd go so far as to say that I love the firmer ride of the Fiesta! Each to their own of course - but personally I hate cars that 'wallow' around bends & corners like so many did/still do. For that reason - I am glad Ford opted to tune the Titanium's ride on a firmer setting...but not too much so.

I agree that on poorly-maintained country roads & in the current pot-hole-ridden network of highways we have - the Fiesta can be somewhat 'juddery' and a bit of a bone-shaker! But - again - I much prefer the pay-off of firmer ride experience overall (I do mainly motorway/A-Road driving) than 'lolloping' in & out of holes/dips/craters!

Previous to the Fiesta, I owned a 1.6 Citroen C2 VTR with a very firm ride...and loved all 3 years of driving/owning it! Perhaps this has clouded my judgement somewhat?

Thanks for your comments. Its currently 2 votes for and two against the titanium's ride. I've come to the conclusion that wheel size preference is inversely proportional to the driver's age - unlike our stomachs !

"Senior" - nonsense! From my perspective at age 72 you're one of the youngsters!

Seriously though, I think it isn't simply a matter of "hardness". My previous Mark 1 Focus had a firmish ride on its alloy wheels but it wasn't so unsettled as the Fiesta on the local patched and potholed country roads. The need for steering input from the driver comes into it. It's significant that Mrs Wealdman, as passenger, notices no diminution of comfort while I, as driver, tend to grumble a bit.

I think it would be better on 15" wheels but the time/trouble/expense involved in making a change has persuaded me to stick with the standard Titanium set up.

hello

I too think the ride is harsh and iam only 24. There is also vibration through the pedals and through the seat.

Jamie

i also agree the ride is rather firm, quite embarasing really for a new car, especially when you have passengers and there getting shook about! also the wheels seem to be incredibly soft, having gone through two in 6 months costing nearly £400, not good!

• 4 weeks later...

my mk 6.5 rides on 195 r16 45 and the ride is horrific the suspension noise is deafning ! our 2010 fiesta is on 195 r15 55 wheels and it rides about the same as our old 2009 plate focus witch rode on 215 r17 50, i certianly would like anything harder than that! :)

• 1 month later...

I would like to fit alloy wheels on my 2009 Fiesta 1.6 TDCI. I was thinking that 16" with 195/45/16" would be perfect, but after reading some opinions above I start to think at 15" alloys with 195/50/15" tyres.

I live in Belgium and the roads are not so good. What would you choose?

I would like to fit alloy wheels on my 2009 Fiesta 1.6 TDCI. I was thinking that 16" with 195/45/16" would be perfect, but after reading some opinions above I start to think at 15" alloys with 195/50/15" tyres.

I've got a Titanium with the 16" (optional 7 spoke instead of the standard 15 spoke) alloy wheels & 195/45 tyres. I don't find the ride particularly harsh (in fact it's noticeably softer than my last car which was a 2002 Astra riding on 15" alloys with 195/60 tyres). Both cars with standard suspension. The Fiesta handles really well on these wheels - due to the shallow sidewall the "turn in" is really responsive; the tyre sidewall's taller with the 15" alloys but the trade off is that the ride will be softer though slightly less responsive.

I'm more than happy with the ride on 16" wheels (& this is in Sheffield, nationally "pothole city") - certainly wouldn't go for 17" wheels though!

go with the 16" or even 17",i live in croatia and the roads are not so good,and still i am driving on 17" alloys and everything is ok,iti is a bit firm but ok.....

My thinking is the tyres that ford fit to the 16" titanium wheels are the noisiest hardest read cheapest tyres they could find. The tyres on my alfa were lower profile but quieter and more complient to rough road surfaces.

If it was bothering me so much id change them to avon zv3 or something similar.

i cant say much about the 'tit' but on the zetec i find the ride too be pretty sound being honest

I have a 2009 1.6 Petrol Fiesta Titanium on 16" wheels and 195/45 R16 Tyres. My problem is that I find the ride a little harsh, probably down to my advancing years and a bad back. There are two possible solutions as I see it:

1. Find someone with a Zetec fitted with 195/50 tyres on 15" wheels and do a swap. My alloys are unmarked and the tyres have done 12000 in a straight line, very little wear.

2. Change the current tyres and fit 195/50 tyres onto my current 16" wheels. This would make the speedo over read by about 1MPH and increase the ride height by 9mm. Has anybody tried this, or found any other solutions?

Any advice appreciated.

Conisdered buying after market 15" alloys with a new set of rubber?

Have you considered it might not be a harsh ride and that you just find the seats uncomfortable?

Just a thought :)

• 2 months later...

I find the 16 inch wheels are a good smooth ride.Better in fact than my old mk6 on 15 inch wheels.The mk 7 titanium is much nicer over speed bumps than the mk6.

• 11 years later...

I should have spotted this thread before I posted my own question about the Titanium wheels. I'm 69 so definitely not a boy racer, but it's not my age or physical condition, just the loud, jarring effect of driving over a pothole when doing 50+ mph that I want to avoid (avoidance is not always possible anyway as they seem to be appearing more regularly on motorways now). I'm driving to South Devon for a week's holiday at Easter (Prawle Point, East Prawle if anyone knows it) so I'm trying to source a set of 175/65/14 steel wheels.

I think, at 85 years of age, I might be one of the most senior members here.   I have a Titanium X on 16 inch wheels and I wouldn't part with it.

1 hour ago, Typhoo Toffee said:

so I'm trying to source a set of 175/65/14 steel wheels.

I think you've just missed out on today's old thread revival prize, Peter!😀

Quite a few threads around on this sort of topic, btw, and as ever, opinions differ.

Coincidentally my wife's car has 175/65/14 tyres and I wouldn't say it rode significantly better over potholes than the 205/45/17 on my Fiesta, tbh. I'm sure the roads in my area (more holes than road, including M-ways) will be no better than yours, and I'm no boy racer either.

I've tried all sorts of vehicles over the years in the search for something that coped better with our rubbish roads, including a C-Max and a Land Rover, with no real success. Perhaps a tank might do the job!😀

You might try posting in the "Wanted" section on here, btw.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, unofix said:

These people have lots of them and should be able to sort you out:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/wheeltech12?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563

Thanks for the link, I don't know how I didn't find it through Google or eBay itself.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:04 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I think you've just missed out on today's old thread revival prize, Peter!😀

Quite a few threads around on this sort of topic, btw, and as ever, opinions differ.

Coincidentally my wife's car has 175/65/14 tyres and I wouldn't say it rode significantly better over potholes than the 205/45/17 on my Fiesta, tbh. I'm sure the roads in my area (more holes than road, including M-ways) will be no better than yours, and I'm no boy racer either.

I've tried all sorts of vehicles over the years in the search for something that coped better with our rubbish roads, including a C-Max and a Land Rover, with no real success. Perhaps a tank might do the job!😀

You might try posting in the "Wanted" section on here, btw.

Thanks for you informative and amusing answer, Eric. I'll have to check what tyres on my wife's car (Peugeot 207CC - she's a girl racer) as I don't really remember suffering the same teeth-rattling sensation when I'm her passenger, despite the indentations above her glovebox made by my fingers!

• Haha 1