Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Screen wash issue

F0CUE

Recently when using the screen wash it's smell like eggs has anyone any idea wtf?

What have you filled it with :lol: 

On a serious note, stagnant water? empty it and fill it with fresh water and a strong dose of screenwash.

• Like 2

Water and screen wash combo only. I swear it's like rotton eggs gives me the retch.

1 minute ago, stef123 said:

What have you filled it with :lol: 

He cracked an egg in it to stop a leak!  Or does that only work for radiators? :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

Water and screen wash combo only. I swear it's like rotton eggs gives me the retch.

I've had a smelly screenwash issue a couple of times.  The water goes stagnant when the screenwash mix isn't strong enough.  Always seems to be in summer as well, probably due to the heat!  There is a risk of legionnaires disease so it's worth draining it and cleaning out as soon as you can really.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I've had a smelly screenwash issue a couple of times.  The water goes stagnant when the screenwash mix isn't strong enough.  Always seems to be in summer as well, probably due to the heat!  There is a risk of legionnaires disease so it's worth draining it and cleaning out as soon as you can really.

Thanks what's the easiest way to drain it? From the tank behind the wheel arch?

either do that or just keep spraying it lol. fill with cold water and do the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Thanks what's the easiest way to drain it? From the tank behind the wheel arch?

You can keep spraying it as above but as it's a Mk2 it's probably worth removing the from behind the liner.  Then you can pop the motor out to drain it (rather than having to smell it for hours while spraying it lol) then you can clean out the filter as well, the filter on these seems to clog up really easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You can keep spraying it as above but as it's a Mk2 it's probably worth removing the from behind the liner.  Then you can pop the motor out to drain it (rather than having to smell it for hours while spraying it lol) then you can clean out the filter as well, the filter on these seems to clog up really easily.

Yeh I had already tried the continuous spraying method and it's came back so must get some stuck that the pumps don't reach then filling up results in it being mixed with smell again. It must be the filter then will take it off and get something to clean it out.

• Like 1

the smell is stagnant water, i had it a few years back in a car i bought, i only ever use ready mixed screenwash in my washer system, at least then i know it won't happen, also i use fruity smelling screenwash rather than chemical smelling stuff, that just personal preference though, the way i cleaned the system on the car i had was take the washer bottle out and the ump, filled the washer bottle with a very diluted mix of brick acis to water (1 cap full to 3l of water) put in the washer bottle and give it a good shake round then empty out and the use a good dose of fairy liquid and hot water and do that same again then rinse thoroughly,  the pump i just binned and bought a new one, you could try and find one from a scrap yard but you may have the same issue if its been there a while

• Like 1

or keep the smell and blast your washer jets when you get a tailgater  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

While you have the motor off and are cleaning the filter (which do get very dirty) In the past i have jet washed through my system tank to blast out the crud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Argh, I’ve had to clean a few washer bottles out in my time as a mechanic. The last one I did was really as much as I could take, on a level with raw sewage and when it runs up your arm and soaks into your clothes so you smell like it. 🤢🤢🤢

• Haha 3

Thanks guys think I've sorted it. I pressed it until it was empty and got a 2 litre irn bru bottle and filled it with warm water and five sterident tablets. I waited until it was all dissolved then added to the tank plus a further litre of warm water to make it full and left it for a while, emptied it out again then filled it with screen wash now there is no stink.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Thanks guys think I've sorted it. I pressed it until it was empty and got a 2 litre irn bru bottle and filled it with warm water and five sterident tablets. I waited until it was all dissolved then added to the tank plus a further litre of warm water to make it full and left it for a while, emptied it out again then filled it with screen wash now there is no stink.

......... and it's got a lovely white smile :tooth:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Westville said:

Yeh I adjusted the jets to spray all the granny teeth on the way past lol

• Haha 3

What is the freezing point of the irn bru? Will it be ok as winter screenwash? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Westville said:

The range of smileys never fails to amaze me...  :laugh: 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I drain mine out and pop in a couple of bottles of kettle descaler, press the buttton for a few seconds, front and rear, slosh loads of water on the paint work straight`away, again leave to stand for a few minutes, purge the tank empty using short presses on front and rear buttons make sure to slosh the paintwork well with clean tap water. Refill tank with ready mixed screenwash fluid and carry on with life.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club