Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel consumption 1ltr 140psi st line x

Rwl939

Hi, dose anyone suffer from poor fuel consumption?

i have only had the car for nearly 2 weeks done just over 500 miles, I have filed the car up 3 times in 2 weeks. 

Ive been told I have to change gear between 1850 and 2000 to get the mpg from it.  

Dose this sound right? 

Thanks 

Engine is very sensitive to how it's driven you can have eco or boost you must pick one. I have a mk 7.5 125 ecoboost and driven conservatively get 450 miles to a tank.

• Like 2

Hi, I've commented on this subject many times before try looking at this topic

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

Engine is very sensitive to how it's driven you can have eco or boost you must pick one. I have a mk 7.5 125 ecoboost and driven conservatively get 450 miles to a tank.

just as cjay1 said , you can have eco or boost , but you can't have both at the same time, and yes this engine is extremely sensitive to the way you drive, generally speaking its all about controlling your right foot, your acceleration and your top speed, I managed at one time on a high way getting 70 mpg, this was accomplished by driving with a speed of 50 to 60 mph, a very light right foot, not forcing it to increase speed going up hill and loading the engine unnecessarily, and leave it cast down hill with my foot off the gas pedal. yes its possible to get such mpg from that technological wonder, but its all about how you drive and how sensitive you are.

it should be noted also that your car is new, your engine has not been broken in yet , give it a couple of thousand miles to correctly run in , for sure your mpg will improve 🙂 

Mate do your own test and then match what some people say and don't just take it off the in car MPG/TANK go online.

Stupid MPG or TANK per fill just don't add up in my eyes and i have a normal 1.6 fiesta and driven right i can come close to my mates Focus 125 eco on local drive.

Apart from all the normal fuel saving tips I've found high octane fuel increases fuel economy. I tend to fill up with momentum as it only 5ppl. Google ecoboost oar for info on how the engine does this.

• Like 1

I don't tend judge fuel consumption by amount of fill ups over a period of time - better to look at the distance you cover on a tank. 

EcoBoosts are well known for not really achieving the declared fuel consumption. 

I average around 38-39mpg in my daily commute. Motorways are around 50-57 mpg depending on speed and traffic. 

To get good MPG, there isnt a magic trick you can pull off on an ecoboost - it's the usual, change gears early, don't labour the engine, go easy on the throttle. 

You can try more premium fuels if you like but I have never observed any noticeable difference in performance or economy and if there is any difference, it's offset by the higher cost of the fuel. 

I'd expect to see some improvement once you've done 1500 miles+ though. All depends on your journey, if you do 2-3 mile commutes, the MPG aint gonna be great. On a steady 10-15 mile commute, I'd say around 40mpg should be achievable. 

My average is just over 51mpg and most of this is on rural roads at 50 to 60 mph. The car rarely does journey's of less than 10 miles so always gets to normal operating temperatures at the optimal rate. I just run it on regular unleaded.

I would agree though that it takes a few thousand miles before those sort of figures can be achieved and maybe then its a combination of the driver adapting to ecoboost driving (in my case anyway) and the engine fully loosening up.

I'm also sure that economy is better in the warmer months as the engine gets up to temperature much quicker. 

I'm changing to a new ST-Line X 140 next week so will be able to feed back my experiences then.

Averaging 50-55mpg from mine during the summer months going by miles covered over each tank fill-up. My round trip to work is just over 40 miles...a bit dual carriageway, a little town and country roads. As others had said all depends how you drive.

P.S. I have seen over 60mpg on the trip computer but real world is usually at least 4-5mpg lower.

Over the past 4 weeks I have topped up on my weekly visit to Sainsburys. £39.50 per week give or take 50p. I do 360 miles per week.

For the past 4 weeks the price of petrol has been £1.26/Litre

Therefore :- 39.5/1.26 = 31.35 Litres

31.35/4.54=6.9 Gallons

360/6.9 = 52mpg (dash has indicated 54-55mpg.)

And I'm not driving slowly, I'll be doing an indicated 75mph on the motorway section and 40-60 on the A-Road parts, 30-40 on the B-Road parts.

I take it very gently for the first 4 miles or so until the engine has warmed up, usually changing up under 2000 rpm.

Just drive with large gaps from the car in front about 100 metres or so at 70mph, stay off the gas when you can, anticipate well so you are less likely to have to brake suddenly.

Unless you are doing very short journeys, thrashing the car from cold, or sitting in a lot of stop start traffic, or driving around like a boy racer you should have little problem in seeing 50mpg from this engine.

Not sure about the new ST-Line 140  though as I think it's a little heavier than my MK 7.5 St-Line.

I will be getting a MK8 ST-Line X 140 in October so will be an interesting comparison.

6 hours ago, DG97 said:

I don't tend judge fuel consumption by amount of fill ups over a period of time - better to look at the distance you cover on a tank. 

EcoBoosts are well known for not really achieving the declared fuel consumption. 

I average around 38-39mpg in my daily commute. Motorways are around 50-57 mpg depending on speed and traffic. 

To get good MPG, there isnt a magic trick you can pull off on an ecoboost - it's the usual, change gears early, don't labour the engine, go easy on the throttle. 

You can try more premium fuels if you like but I have never observed any noticeable difference in performance or economy and if there is any difference, it's offset by the higher cost of the fuel. 

I'd expect to see some improvement once you've done 1500 miles+ though. All depends on your journey, if you do 2-3 mile commutes, the MPG aint gonna be great. On a steady 10-15 mile commute, I'd say around 40mpg should be achievable. 

I agree with this and the MPG seems around spot on as i get around 30 to 34 on my 1.6 for local driving so if i drive it right under 2k change etc.and on a run i get around 45 to 50 if the same driven right......65 to 70 on a eco don't seem right as we all wish it was but around 60 or just under seems more realistic figure.

I also go on tank fill or half tank in my case but not spot on when half tank as the bottom half goes quicker but i get a close figure.

Been some MPG stuff on here so you with find a nice bit of info on a search mate.....

I filled up my tank , drove on a high way for 480 km , with a speed of 50 to 60 mph ( very conservative driving ), AC off, and I refilled again , it sucked in exactly 13.9 litres

This is a video i recorded it myself driving on a highway at a speed of 90 km/h showing instant fuel consumption

Very naughty using a phone whilst driving 😉

Was that downhill or flat ground? If flat ground, that is seriously impressive, barely using any fuel at all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DG97 said:

Very naughty using a phone whilst driving 😉

Was that downhill or flat ground? If flat ground, that is seriously impressive, barely using any fuel at all

totally flat , AC off , no noticeable wind resistance

what I really do , is that when up hill I never accelerate, I leave the car to decrease speed gradually until its down hill again I leave it to cast with foot of accelerator pedal , I never go over 100 km/h, usually around 80 to 90 km/h , tires inflated correctly, AC barely used , no additional unnecessary weight inside the car , all of these besides a warmed up engine gives you a great fuel economy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club