Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need some advice for a Fiesta Mk8 with Sync 2.5

Da9L

Hi everyone! First post here

I bought my self my first Ford back in February this year, a Ford Fiesta Mk8 1.0 Ecoboost with 140hp. And so far its been an okay experience. However i got one with a Sync version of 2.5 instead of 3. I did this because my only requirement was that it was able to run Android Auto, which it is. However I've noticed that when i do run with Android auto, no clock or signal is shown. At first i thouhgt that was something i needed to enable somewhere, but after further trying to fix it, I've come to the conclusion that this is because of my car, and not my Phone. If i plug it into my friends Focus mk3, which has Sync 3, the clock shows up just fine.

Heres a picture of what I'm talking about

The main problem is that, when I'm in Android Auto i can't even tell what time it is. 

Is there a way for me to get Sync 3 in my Fiesta ? I figured it _should_ be possible somehow, since the hardware is most likely very capable of running it and possibly even the same as cars with Sync 3.

I spoke to my local dealer but they really do not know anything about this kind of stuff. They also told me that they wont even change the unit to a Sync 3 one if i paid for it, since Fords policy on this stuff is that once you have bought a car, it is tied to what it is bought with, so I'm a little unsure what to do now. 

I've attached a picture below with my software version

20190329_065536.jpg

57 minutes ago, Da9L said:

I bought my self my first Ford back in February this year, a Ford Fiesta Mk8 1.0 Ecoboost with 140hp. And so far its been an okay experience. However i got one with a Sync version of 2.5 instead of 3. I did this because my only requirement was that it was able to run Android Auto, which it is. However I've noticed that when i do run with Android auto, no clock or signal is shown. At first i thouhgt that was something i needed to enable somewhere, but after further trying to fix it, I've come to the conclusion that this is because of my car, and not my Phone. If i plug it into my friends Focus mk3, which has Sync 3, the clock shows up just fine.

The main problem is that, when I'm in Android Auto i can't even tell what time it is. 

Is there a way for me to get Sync 3 in my Fiesta ? I figured it _should_ be possible somehow, since the hardware is most likely very capable of running it and possibly even the same as cars with Sync 3.

I spoke to my local dealer but they really do not know anything about this kind of stuff. They also told me that they wont even change the unit to a Sync 3 one if i paid for it, since Fords policy on this stuff is that once you have bought a car, it is tied to what it is bought with, so I'm a little unsure what to do now. 

20190329_065536.jpg

how did you order one with sync 2.5 they all come with sync 3 standard? 

This Sync 2.5 must be one of the rarest things I've seen for a while lol, guess it must be a local market thing though as in the UK, Sync 3 is the base software version. Though saying that, I wasn't even aware that Sync 2.5 was a thing.

What happens when you go to the updates page on the Ford website? Are there any updates available for your software there? It goes off your VIN number and if anything is available, it will be downloadable from the website. 

I cannot image that Ford themselves would support an upgrade of 2.5 to 3. My best bet would be having to find a Sync 3 unit and retrofitting it. Can't image there would be more viable ways of doing it. Like you say though, your dealer wont do it so you're left either trying to find someone to do it for you or having a go yourself. 

32 minutes ago, jakephillips05 said:

how did you order one with sync 2.5 they all come with sync 3 standard? 

Here in Denmark it is a thing you can choose when ordering the car. But I've heard that normally Sync 3 is the standard normally in other countries which is also why i hope i can get Sync 3 on it somehow.

17 minutes ago, DG97 said:

This Sync 2.5 must be one of the rarest things I've seen for a while lol, guess it must be a local market thing though as in the UK, Sync 3 is the base software version. Though saying that, I wasn't even aware that Sync 2.5 was a thing.

What happens when you go to the updates page on the Ford website? Are there any updates available for your software there? It goes off your VIN number and if anything is available, it will be downloadable from the website. 

I cannot image that Ford themselves would support an upgrade of 2.5 to 3. My best bet would be having to find a Sync 3 unit and retrofitting it. Can't image there would be more viable ways of doing it. Like you say though, your dealer wont do it so you're left either trying to find someone to do it for you or having a go yourself. 

Yes and as above, i believe that due to the fact that Sync 3 is the only thing you can get in most countries, Sync 2.5, as i have, run on Sync 3 hardware. So i believe i can update it somehow.

Untill a few months back, when i tried to search for updates on Ford's website by entering my VIN number, i was told that my car wasn't even fitted with Sync at all. Now i get a message telling me that no updates are available. 

Seems like i will have to go see if i can find another unit and replace it my self. Just wondering what that would do with my warranty. And where to find such a unit

Thinking about it, maybe i should try and just install a Sync 3 update from another persons Fiesta, that already has Sync 3 ? Could that maybe work ?

1 hour ago, Da9L said:

Thinking about it, maybe i should try and just install a Sync 3 update from another persons Fiesta, that already has Sync 3 ? Could that maybe work ?

There are Sync 3 units about on online marketplaces like eBay etc, not many of them but you can find some. Though any interference with that is going to void your warranty for any parts related to the multimedia system. 

I don’t think installing a Sync 3 update to Sync 2.5 will work as it’s not the same base software. A little bit like trying to update Windows 7 with a Windows 10 update and expecting the end result to be Windows 10. 

Hope you do find a solution though and it might be worth browsing through the internet to see if there’s anyone who offers the service to swap the units around.

• 1 month later...

Hi, also in Greece same problem. I own  a Fiesta mk8 Titanium 2019 September make, has sync 2.5 , all fiestas came with this software , except the vignale and st versions that has sync 3.

As far as i see , there are not too many diferences, the clock is a thing , and no more apps than android auto and ford pass can be displeyd.

Has any tried other apps or succed to mirror the screen of phone divice?

Also new released phones are not so compatable with sync 2.5 , i m very afraid that no updated will be made to this software.

If somehow 2.5 and sync3 has the same hardware , probably sync 3 can be installed , if anyone knows more please inform

• 3 weeks later...

I have a brand new 2020 Fiesta and it came with sync 2.5.

I see the time on the upper left when in Google maps over Android Auto and any other app.

Asked the salesman about the difference between 2.5 and 3.0 and he said it's basically a subset missing the internal Ford voice recognition and utilizes the one in the phone. Not sure if that's correct.

• 1 month later...

Boa noite, alguém conseguiu resolver o problema? Comprei aqui no Brazil Ford ECOSPORT 2020 com Syn 2.5. O espelhamento não funciona mais com o Android, só com iPhone.

To translate-
Good evening, anyone managed to solve the problem? I bought it here in Brazil Ford ECOSPORT 2020 with Syn 2.5. Mirroring no longer works with Android, only with iPhone.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, how are you? I'm from Brazil.
I also experienced this problem with my Ford ECOSPORT 2020 car mirroring with the Android phone (MOTO G7 Power).
The solution is simple, after connecting an iPhone, there is a problem and the cell phone changes the date of the multimedia SYNC.
Solution is to set the date of the SYNC multimedia.
This usually happens after connecting an iPhone.
I don't know what the reason is.
If it works, let me know.

• 1 month later...

Got a 2020 Focus with Sync 2.5 in Denmark. After a bit of research, I am pretty sure the main (and only) difference between Sync 2.5 and Sync 3 is the lack of Ford's own voice assistant and navigation. In Denmark, navigation is not standard on Titanium model  (which we got). And without navigation, you don't get the Ford voice assistant.

Since my plan was to use my tomtom subscription for navigation anyway (which supports Apple Carplay and is a far better product) we didn't purchase the satnav option. And so the car came with Sync 2.5 and not Sync 3.

Reg. Ford's built in voice assistant, I don't miss it one bit. We had it in our old 2015 Focus, and it sucked. It could only understand English, and since it could't recognize any non-English  names, I had to rename my wife to "wife", my brother to "brother" etc. in my address book, so I could say "Call wife" when I wanted to make a phone call while driving. Now I renamed her and other names back, as Apple's Siri speaks Danish. :). Of course, the lack of the built in voice assistant also means you can't control the car's native features using your voice, as Siri and Google assistant can't help you with that - fx climate temperature, radio stations, and.. well, that's about it.

So shortly: if you are using Android Auto or Apple Carplay while driving, you are not missing much if your car has Sync 2.5 in stead of Sync 3.

To my knowledge, my 2020 my Fiesta that is UK supplied has Sync 2.5.  The UK brochure only says Sync 3 once you have Nav, the non Nav models just say "Ford SYNC with 8" Touchscreen, DAB Radio, Emergency Assistance, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, 2 x USB sockets & 6 speakers"

Nav models have 7 Speakers so are different hardware.

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, Ronaldo Medeiros said:

Hello, how are you? I'm from Brazil.
I also experienced this problem with my Ford ECOSPORT 2020 car mirroring with the Android phone (MOTO G7 Power).
The solution is simple, after connecting an IPhone, there is a problem and the cell phone changes the date of the multimedia SYNC.
Solution is to set the date of the SYNC multimedia.
This usually happens after connecting an IPhone.
I don't know what the reason is.
If it works, let me know.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it out but it didn't work unfortunately. 
With an iPhone though, the time is shown correctly in Apple CarPlay. 

15 hours ago, Da9L said:

Thanks for the tip. I tried it out but it didn't work unfortunately. 
With an iPhone though, the time is shown correctly in Apple CarPlay. 

Yeah.. it seems like they made the HW work better with the iPhone. Graphic acceleration seems very fluid when connecting an iPhone. I have note10+ and an iPhone XR. I hate it that the iphone just works better with my ford..

I've been trying to find any info regarding this topic but it seems to be a local problem (Spain cough cough) and other regions. 

It is really annoying that i can't check the time on the screen when using android auto. Maybe there's a SW update that can be installed at the dealership? 

I'll let you know if i ever find a fix for this.

Greetings mate!

Searching on ETIS it seems that there's a 2020 update for our ACM module. 

I'll try to book with my dealer to see if this enables the clock hehe.

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 5:28 PM, Eliterox said:

Searching on ETIS it seems that there's a 2020 update for our ACM module. 

I'll try to book with my dealer to see if this enables the clock hehe.

Did you manage to get yours updated ? My car was in for its first service this week, and the dealer told me that an update was available for my Sync system! First time I've heard that since i got the car, and hopefully it will fix my Android Auto issue. Have been using Apple CarPlay though which has been working without issue. 

But right after they told me an update was available and attempted to update my car, something went wrong and currently my radio is not working.. Screen doesn't even turn on, so they will replace the unit once they get a new one back.

Also can  you tell more about that version? Any version numbers or other useful info ?

Hey Da9L!

Sorry to hear that your sync got bricked by the dealer.

I didn't update mine since they would charge me around 100 eur plus some other things just to perform that single thing. I've been thinking that i could do it myself using forscan but i just can't be bothered anymore.

Sadly i think that we got screwed with the sync 2.5 system that will never get updated and can't get a simple clock on android auto..

Please let me know if the new one that they install on yours does display the clock since that would mean that an update fixes the issue.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:30 AM, Da9L said:

20190329_065536.jpg

looks like revision 5 sync 3 to me where does it say 2.5?

can't see anywhere it say 2.5!

16 hours ago, st line x 140 driver said:

can't see anywhere it say 2.5!

It doesn’t! 

21 hours ago, Rogue2 said:

It doesn’t! 

That's what i thought!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 2:18 PM, Eliterox said:

Hey Da9L!

Sorry to hear that your sync got bricked by the dealer.

I didn't update mine since they would charge me around 100 eur plus some other things just to perform that single thing. I've been thinking that i could do it myself using forscan but i just can't be bothered anymore.

Sadly i think that we got screwed with the sync 2.5 system that will never get updated and can't get a simple clock on android auto..

Please let me know if the new one that they install on yours does display the clock since that would mean that an update fixes the issue.

Hi again Eliterox

Just got my radio replaced and updated to the latest version for Sync 2.5

And it actually fixes the missing clock in Android Auto! At LONG LAST!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club