Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Multi link

Alex.S

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

Ian, I’ve just been to a ford dealer and checked the ford.co.uk website. It’s only the 1 litre Ecoboost and the 1.5 EcoBlue that don’t have multi link. 

The website is out of date. This was changed in May as previously stated.  You used to be able to order the CCD damping option on the configuration site if selecting 1.5 182PS ST Line X but now that option is not available as it can only be fitted with multilink setup.

I would always advise getting the dealer to provide you with a printed copy of the brochure at the time. In this case, I'm sure if you asked the dealer about the spec , they'd just refer you to the brochure, as I don't think they have been advised on the spec changes either

1 minute ago, ianincheshire said:

I would always advise getting the dealer to provide you with a printed copy of the brochure at the time. In this case, I'm sure if you asked the dealer about the spec , they'd just refer you to the brochure, as I don't think they have been advised on the spec changes either

Ford don’t really have brochures, it’s all online. I’ve checked the most recent online information. The ST-Line x 1 litre is torsion beam . 

The website is out of date. This was changed in May as previously stated. 

I think were all aware that the delivered spec appears to have been changed. However, none of the official information mentions this!

The website is out of date

As to that, well the website specifically says 'Effective 1 July 2019'... so I would think Trading standards would have a field day...

edit: as for those 195/65 tyres, they're going to be a right pain to replace, just checked the Kwikfit site and the only tyres in that size are T or R rated Van tyres!

• Thanks 1

I've come from a C-class merc with standard suspension to a Focus stline x, 182.  With torsion beam.

Although the suspension is obviously harder it is still compliant and I don't find it skittish at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianincheshire said:

edit: as for those 195/65 tyres, they're going to be a right pain to replace, just checked the Kwikfit site and the only tyres in that size are T or R rated Van tyres!

F1 Autocentres have 4 V rated options, budget, Bridgestone & 2 Michelin...but £75-£100 per tyre for 16s is daft!  There's nothing stopping you fitting the older size when the time comes though... 

There's nothing stopping you fitting the older size when the time comes though... 

That could be a problem with insurance if you have an accident and the vehicle isn't fitted with the tyres as specified by the manufacturer.

Also, there's a significant rolling circumference difference between 205/55 and 195/65

The percentage change is 4.43% and the circumference change is 28mm

So I would guess the speedo calibration has been changed for the 195/65 fitment.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I've come from a C-class merc with standard suspension to a Focus stline x, 182.  With torsion beam.

Although the suspension is obviously harder it is still compliant and I don't find it skittish at all.

How would you rate it out of 5? 

Also, im sure I already asked u this but when did you order it and when was it delivered to you?

I’ve just spoken to a Ford technician who says the 182 is still multi link, that Ford could change it but haven’t.

i think u said earlier that u could see it was a torsion beam? 

6 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

That could be a problem with insurance if you have an accident and the vehicle isn't fitted with the tyres as specified by the manufacturer.

Also, there's a significant rolling circumference difference between 205/55 and 195/65

So I would guess the speedo calibration has been changed for the 195/65 fitment.

True, but Ford don't even seem to know what they're fitting so I doubt the insurance will be able to prove what was definitely fitted at the factory.  It's not on the ETIS build spec for the older cars but I haven't checked a MK4 tbf.  Speedo calibration can be changed electronically, does Forscan work on the Mk4 yet?

205/60/16 would be the best compromise really, very close rolling radius and loads of tyre choice at reasonable prices.

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Also, im sure I already asked u this but when did you order it and when was it delivered to you?

I’ve just spoken to a Ford technician who says the 182 is still multi link, that Ford could change it but haven’t.

Stop talking to Ford techs and relying on old website info...go and get a telescopic mirror and start looking under some Mk4's, that's the only way you're gonna know for sure! :tongue: 

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Stop talking to Ford techs and relying on old website info...go and get a telescopic mirror and start looking under some Mk4's, that's the only way you're gonna know for sure! :tongue: 

The ford website was last updated 1st July 2019.

i wouldn’t know what I’d be looking for. 

205/60/16 would be the best compromise really, very close rolling radius and loads of tyre choice at reasonable prices.

Actually, there's a mistake earlier, the original fitment was 205/60 , so you're right the rolling radius isn't much different , about 1%.

It's not on the ETIS build spec for the older cars but I haven't checked a MK4 tbf

It is on ETIS, I've just checked mine and it says 205/60.

does Forscan work on the Mk4 yet?

Well, I have it and it recognises the Mk4 but I've not tried to do anything yet. Was going to try and see if it's possible to enable 'auto high beam' at some point since I miss that from my previous Mondeo

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

multi link is just more than one torsion beam? 

I still wouldn't trust it...

It's very easy to tell which is which, non-independent (twist beam) just uses one single beam axle across the rear.  Multilink has separate wishbones (control arms) at each end of the beam.

1 minute ago, ianincheshire said:

Actually, there's a mistake earlier, the original fitment was 205/60 , so you're right the rolling radius isn't much different , about 1%.

It is on ETIS, I've just checked mine and it says 205/60.

Well, I have it and it recognises the Mk4 but I've not tried to do anything yet. Was going to try and see if it's possible to enable 'auto high beam' at some point since I miss that from my previous Mondeo

Ah ok, being included on the ETIS build spec now could cause an insurance issue then.  I expect a lot of people will still change to the cheaper and more common size anyway though.  Just don't have an at fault crash! :biggrin: 

I hope the makers of Forscan will update it to include the Mk4 eventually, it's been invaluable for me so far! 

For information , If anyone wants to check a recent VIN on ETIS I believe the multi-link suspension shows as

Rear Suspension - Level 2

at least, that's what mine ( built 6/12/18 ) shows...

I would assume that torsion bar is probably Level 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianincheshire said:

I would assume that torsion bar is probably Level 1

That is correct my Twist-beam is level 1, The earlier builds with Multi-link is Level2.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah ok, being included on the ETIS build spec now could cause an insurance issue then

Strangely the earlier builds with Multi-link did have the Tyre size shown on Etis, but my later build with Twist-beam does not have the Tyre size on Etis, just the wheel size and type. The sticker on the door pillar only shows the 195 65 tyres, there is no alternative, so that would need to be removed.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I hope the makers of Forscan will update it to include the Mk4 eventually, it's been invaluable for me so far! 

@TomsFocus, There are an unbelievable amount of PID's in FORScan for the MK4, but I don't have either an Extended Licence or my car at the moment to check what is changeable using Central Configuration.

For anyone who does not know what Twist-beam suspension looks like here is a photo of mine (looking from the back)

DSC_0623.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex.S said:

No worries.  I got it on 11th july, 10 weeks after I ordered.  Build date was 15th May.

Like I put somewhere it is firm but compliant and doesn't seem to bounce.  Tyres are 235/40/18 all round.

I can't confirm it is twist and not multilink but the rear suspension layout looks exactly the same as my wife's Fiesta MK8 1.0 ecoboost zetec which is definitely not multilink.

On etis.ford.com if I look at Minor Features, I see this:

·       With Handling Suspension

·        Front Spring Load Class-J

·        Rear Spring Load Class-G

·        Rear Suspension - Level 1

but also:

With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers

My wife's Fiesta only says:

With Standard Suspension

but says nothing about springs.

So I'm pretty sure is is twist.

• Thanks 1

No worries.  I got it on 11th july, 10 weeks after I ordered.  Build date was 15th May.

Like I put somewhere it is firm but compliant and doesn't seem to bounce.  Tyres are 235/40/18 all round.

I can't confirm it is twist and not multilink but the rear suspension layout looks exactly the same as my wife's Fiesta MK8 1.0 ecoboost zetec which is definitely not multilink.

On etis.ford.com if I look at Minor Features, I see this:

·       With Handling Suspension

·        Front Spring Load Class-J

·        Rear Spring Load Class-G

·        Rear Suspension - Level 1

but also:

With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers

My wife's Fiesta only says:

With Standard Suspension

but says nothing about springs.

So I'm pretty sure is is twist.

Ok, I’ve been in touch with Ford UK thru social media. Somebody on here commented saying since 6th May 2019 ST-Line x 1.5 182 no longer has multi link suspension. Unfortunately they were correct. 

Ive researched the twist beam as much as I can and come to the conclusion that there’s very little difference. Maybe on a track ..I don’t need it for that.

i have no idea why ford would do this.

mines a motability 3 year lease which I can refuse at anytime up until delivery in October.

undecided just now

Guy , would you accept it if in my situation?

• Like 1

After we’d tested it, The chief engineer told us much of the improvement is due to the ST-Line suspension tuning, not just the SLA suspension. he claims the ST-Line, even with the torsion-beam chassis, also steers very well. Unfortunately there wasn’t a car of that spec to test, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Top Gear Website 

Yeah like I say I think it handles great, certainly I'm unlikely to ever plumb its limits.  Personally I wouldn't reject a car over something I can't see and that doesn't make any difference to my daily driving.

I'd advise though to give the engine at least 2k miles to judge it fairly. It's far more free revving now than when it was brand new. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alex.S said:

This is a thread on the subject that I started back in April.

As you can see I did get confirmation via an email from the Ford Customer Relationship Centre.

Email reply from Ford Customer Relationship Centre to my enquiry.

"I have spoken to our technical team who have advised me that the 1.5l ecoboost/1.5l petrol will be standard fitted with the short - and – long arm suspension, however the continuously controlled damping option is an option you can opt out or in for."

Therefore, to be honest in my case I would have been annoyed if I found that it had been delivered with the twisted beam set up.

11 hours ago, PLB said:

This is a thread on the subject that I started back in April.

As you can see I did get confirmation via an email from the Ford Customer Relationship Centre.

Email reply from Ford Customer Relationship Centre to my enquiry.

"I have spoken to our technical team who have advised me that the 1.5l ecoboost/1.5l petrol will be standard fitted with the short - and – long arm suspension, however the continuously controlled damping option is an option you can opt out or in for."

Therefore, to be honest in my case I would have been annoyed if I found that it had been delivered with the twisted beam set up.

As u know there’s literally hundreds of posts about this. Not sure what u have/haven’t read. I got in touch with Ford Uk , they confirmed the suspension has been changed as of May this year. Means the ST-Line X I’m waiting on will have twist beam. At first I thought I’d reject the car. The twist beam is the same suspension that is in the Fiesta ST (proper not line) . 

Well everyone raves about the Fiesta ST handling so go figure.  😀

• Like 1

Well everyone raves about the Fiesta ST handling so go figure.  😀

Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited about it myself from a performance aspect - I've driven some pretty good handling cars over the years that have had torsion beams (my current Fiesta being no exception) and some multi-link suspended cars with poor ride (yes, you, Audi!😀), so to some extent "it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it".

It still seems a bit sneaky of Ford to have introduced a change to what has, after all,  been a major part of the Focus's perceived USP with no publicity and it is understandable that folks are annoyed that they are not getting what they thought they ordered.

The motoring press still don't seem to have caught on either - I was reading a review of the new Skoda Scala the other day and they were bemoaning it's lack of multi-link compared to the Focus. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well dont know what suspension i will be getting with all thats been said it sounds like it will not be the multi link suspension i thought it was going to get im also a motability customer placed an order for st line x  back in march for june delivery they now say it wont be ready now until end of november. as they say keep forgetting to put order in,.treated like scum for being a motability customer feels like and now being ripped off im going to cancel tomorrow

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club