Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6tdci timing belt interval

dave_k

Hi, 2013 1.6tdci fiesta, currently on 80k what do you guys think would be a suitable mileage for timing belt change? book saying 125k miles/10 years seems a bit high? 

on my previous 1.6tdci I did it at 115k miles (about 7 years old) because I was getting worried. There were no visual signs that looked like it was getting to the end of its life, but that does not mean it would have lasted much longer.

I suppose we want to hear from people who suffered a broken belt / tensioner and what their mileage was.

I haven't seen many DV6's with snapped belts in all honesty.  I did see a belt snapper Mk3 Focus on eBay at ~150k recently...presumably the original belt!  I'd say the interval on these probably is ok for 99% of them so it's up to you how close to that you want to go really.

I changed mine at 9.5 years and 70k with no signs of rubber degradation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My 2010 1.6 tdci fiesta has had its belts, idlers and pulleys done around 15k miles ago at around 72k miles ish , but recently the belt has been squeaking on idle and starting to knock , only on idle anyone else had this problem or point me in the right direction on what to do !

12 hours ago, Brandon2121 said:

My 2010 1.6 tdci fiesta has had its belts, idlers and pulleys done around 15k miles ago at around 72k miles ish , but recently the belt has been squeaking on idle and starting to knock , only on idle anyone else had this problem or point me in the right direction on what to do !

Hopefully it's just the auxiliary belt.  If the aux tensioner wasn't replaced then that's probably failed due to the tension of the new belt...  I speak from experience after trying to save a few quid and then having to change mine a week later!

• Like 2

I had the belts and water pump changed on my mk2 Focus 1.6TDCi at 105k miles (8 years old), probably could have left it another year and reached 120k miles.

My mk2 Focus RS, I had the belts changed when it reached 10 years old, even though it only had 20k miles on.

I feel that you would be unlucky if original belts went before the recommended mileage or time, but I wouldn't want to chance leaving them longer.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Hopefully it's just the auxiliary belt.  If the aux tensioner wasn't replaced then that's probably failed due to the tension of the new belt...  I speak from experience after trying to save a few quid and then having to change mine a week later!

How do u change the aux belt or take it off to check pulleys and ifkers

2 minutes ago, Brandon2121 said:

How do u change the aux belt or take it off to check pulleys and ifkers

There's a spring tensioner on these.  It's a 15mm nut I believe, just put a spanner on it and push it to remove tension from the belt.

The belt only runs the alternator and AC pump so very simple run.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

There's a spring tensioner on these.  It's a 15mm nut I believe, just put a spanner on it and push it to remove tension from the belt.

The belt only runs the alternator and AC pump so very simple run.

I take it that belt doesn’t have anything to do with timing I don’t need to stop the engine or mark it or anything ? Might sound stupid but don’t want to knacker anything

1 hour ago, Brandon2121 said:

I take it that belt doesn’t have anything to do with timing I don’t need to stop the engine or mark it or anything ? Might sound stupid but don’t want to knacker anything

Nope, you can remove it and spin all the pulleys without a problem.  Just need to make sure it goes back on the correct route.

• 4 months later...

I have always used a ford main dealer and never indicated to them I wish to cut costs to the minimum. They have never mentioned a timing belt change until this year at 150,000 miles (without seeing the car, they have not seen it for a year). They are now saying do it as preventative maintenance to avoid failure. I'm taking this as good guidance. Although they charge main dealer rates (the only down side) I have from experience good reason to trust this garage and say they are a good one.

• 3 months later...

Mine 2015 Fiesta's timing belt gave way at 68000 miles......Now it needs a new engine. I am going to ask Ford for a contribution!

• 2 years later...

Hi we've just bought a 2012 fiesta 1.6L durattorq TDCI deisel model how often do you recommend a cam belt change . Thanks Rita

It's over due now if it's not been done recently. They need to be changed at a maximum of every 10 years.

It costs under £400 at most independent garages or over £800 at a Halfords Autocentre

• Thanks 1

Bought my 2009 1.6d 4 years ago with 168.000 on the clock..was told by the dodgy dealer it was done at 150.000 

I decided to get it done at 200.000 for its 2nd belt...turns out it has never been done

So 200.000  and 14 years 

He said the belt looked immaculate 

I do an oil n filter change every 6 months or 5000 miles regardless 

13 hours ago, Danny cj said:

I decided to get it done at 200.000 for its 2nd belt...turns out it has never been done

He said the belt looked immaculate 

How did he confirm that it'd never been done?

Not sure but he mentioned a colour marking that was still on the parts fitted..

Had a vw with 2 white marks on the cam belt cover so maybe similar to that

My 2010 fusion is 42k miles, 14 years old, recently opened slightly timing belt cover and found no signs of wear such as cracks of the timing belt and the belt is original. 

19 minutes ago, ford2188 said:

42k miles, 14 years old, recently opened slightly timing belt cover and found no signs of wear such as cracks of the timing belt and the belt is original.

Are you just planning on leaving it and fitting a new engine when it snaps ?

Hi, Unifix, I am planning to change the timing belt in 2 years. Hopefully it will not break before I make the change. Actually I have already bought the belts, tensioner, tools ect. But just lazy to start it.

7 hours ago, ford2188 said:

Hi, Unifix, I am planning to change the timing belt in 2 years. Hopefully it will not break before I make the change. Actually I have already bought the belts, tensioner, tools ect. But just lazy to start it.

You're tempting fate having done that!

Joking aside, whilst you can positively confirm a failing belt from appearance you can't positively confirm a non-failing one that way. They don't necessarily show any signs of external degradation before snapping because it is the internal wires that fail and it is they that provide the tension and strength.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 10:04 PM, dave_k said:

Hi, 2013 1.6tdci fiesta, currently on 80k what do you guys think would be a suitable mileage for timing belt change? book saying 125k miles/10 years seems a bit high? 

Just had mine done it's on 150k had water pump belt done too . Only just brought the car so thought it best to get cam done .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club