Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wierd clicking/rattling noise in new Fiesta MK8

Da9L

I've been going from being happy about my purchase of my Fiesta MK8 to being on the edge of wanting to return sell it again after only 6 months of having it. It has since day one had some sort of a "clicking / rattling" noise under acceleration primarily, and I've been down at my dealer twice about it, to get it fixed. Each time they told me that it is now fixed, only for me to return home in the car and find out that the sound is still there and nothing is fixed. The pleasure of driving a new car is totally gone, when having to hear this everytime i drive it. 

The clicking noise from 2 seconds in the video and forward is happening at random times while driving, if you touch the pedal or driving over some uneaven tarrain. The repeating sound around 13 seconds and onwards is heard when accelerating as you can hear. 

Any tips? I honestly don't know what to do at this point. The sound is coming from down below the steering wheel and around / above the pedals, but its rather hard to find out, while driving. It also seems to be most significant when the engine is in its correct temperature / warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj0sVcM8yP8

I have the same noise in my mk8 and it is caused the engine's vibrations or that is what I think. And yes, it cannot be solved unless they add something to the engine to avoid the vibrations.

10 minutes ago, dr4cker said:

I have the same noise in my mk8 and it is caused the engine's vibrations or that is what I think. And yes, it cannot be solved unless they add something to the engine to avoid the vibrations.

That would be really sad if its not fixable. I got a new Fiesta because i was tired of likewise sounds on my 20 year old Polo. So getting a car with the same kind of problems is a waste really. 

However the sounds in my car seems to be present mostly when the car is hot, but you would think that if it is caused by vibrations it would be there all the time ?

That would drive me totally crazy. I don't blame you for being annoyed by it. Does this happen even when you're not driving, just parked?

4 minutes ago, runamonk said:

That would drive me totally crazy. I don't blame you for being annoyed by it. Does this happen even when you're not driving, just parked?

Yeah and its further fueled by being a brand new car! 
No its only when driving. If only it where also doing it while parked, it would have been easier to fix 😞

So weird, it almost sounds like a air leak or something. 

8 minutes ago, runamonk said:

So weird, it almost sounds like a air leak or something. 

Someone on a danish forum tells me that it might be something with some tubes to the ventilation system. That could explain why its only happening when its hot. 

Search for my first post I put on here by searching for my forum name 'martinf64'. Not sure how to add link to it here. I put a recording on there which may sound very familiar to you...buzzing when throttle applied but only once the engine is up to temperature. Worth while reading the whole post and replies as various solutions mentioned particularly regarding the heater pipes in the engine bay.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, martinf64 said:

Search for my first post I put on here by searching for my forum name 'martinf64'. Not sure how to add link to it here. I put a recording on there which may sound very familiar to you...buzzing when throttle applied but only once the engine is up to temperature. Worth while reading the whole post and replies as various solutions mentioned particularly regarding the heater pipes in the engine bay.

I found the clip with the Google drive link in it. It sounds exactly like mine i think. Mine also happens mostly around 2000 rpm's. Did you find a solution ? I will look into your topic, thanks ! 

36 minutes ago, Da9L said:

I found the clip with the Google drive link in it. It sounds exactly like mine i think. Mine also happens mostly around 2000 rpm's. Did you find a solution ? I will look into your topic, thanks ! 

I ended up getting it looked at under warranty, this noise started approximately 1 week after picking up the car from new. The noise had disappeared when I got it back from the dealer and they said something was vibrating in the passenger door and resonating through to the dash. Thought this explanation was rubbish and I think they did something under the glove box which is where the sound seemed to be coming from. It was weird because it started as soon as the temperature gauge reached its normal position and only occurred when the throttle was pressed.

Worth checking the heater pipes mentioned in my post.

I'm still getting various noises from the dash, doors and glove box areas which seem to be the norm for Fiesta's, I'm slowly trying to find and get rid of these...all down to general Ford build and material quality.

Hopes this helps for you.

Sorry to read about this, and I agree this must be really annoying. Unfortunately I found my MK8 a huge boost in quality from the MK7, but with way too many rattles and noises. Coming from the doors, from the panoramic roof, from the engine... It just made me crazy in the beginning. I fixed most, some with some help of the dealer. 

Regarding the heat pipes; I had this issue as well and it is known by Ford. I found a topic which I can't find now that Ford has proposed a solution for it, but it's easy to apply it yourself. You have to tie-wrap the two heating pipes near the plastic mount which connects them. This prevents them from moving too far apart but doesn't push them together, that's where the tie-wrap comes in. Don't over tighten it, it should only put some pressure on the pipes to keep them together and change the resonance frequency of the two. Hope it helps..

But again, the MK8 is just full of sounds and rattles if you ask me. I really like the look and feel of the interior compared to the MK7, but still there is too much plastic giving rattles and ticks all throughout the car. Fix them one by one, and after about one year I found it acceptable. ;-)

On 8/28/2019 at 10:58 PM, martinf64 said:

I tiewrapped the two tubes yesterday, and it has removed 95% of my noise issues ! THANK YOU for the suggestion, it has lifted a huge burdon on my mood! 

I will have to go down to my Ford dealer with this and show them. 

34 minutes ago, Da9L said:

I tiewrapped the two tubes yesterday, and it has removed 95% of my noise issues ! THANK YOU for the suggestion, it has lifted a huge burdon on my mood! 

I will have to go down to my Ford dealer with this and show them. 

If you have a few mins spare, any chance you could grab a photo of it and the specific location? Might be tempted to have a go on mine as I have a slightly similar noise. 

Just now, DG97 said:

If you have a few mins spare, any chance you could grab a photo of it and the specific location? Might be tempted to have a go on mine as I have a slightly similar noise. 

I will do that right away! Will be back in a moment

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Da9L said:

I will do that right away! Will be back in a moment

Much appreciated 🙂

Okay heres a picture guide

1. First open your hood and the marked area is where the tubes are behind

spacer.png

2. Then loosen the clamp holding the tube to the air intake, and move the airintake tube out of the way.

spacer.png

3. You should now have enough space to see the two tubes. In the picture below i have not removed the air intake tube, but you should be able to make out what is behind it

spacer.png

4. Now simply take a zip tie around the two tubes in the area shown, and tighten it. Just tightnen it enough so that the two tubes wont be able to move independandly. The Blue zip tie is the one I've installed

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Da9L said:

spacer.png

2. Then loosen the clamp holding the tube to the air intake, and move the airintake tube out of the way.

spacer.png

3. You should now have enough space to see the two tubes. In the picture below i have not removed the air intake tube, but you should be able to make out what is behind it

spacer.png

4. Now simply take a zip tie around the two tubes in the area shown, and tighten it. Just tightnen it enough so that the two tubes wont be able to move independandly. The Blue zip tie is the one I've installed

spacer.png

That’s perfect, thank you!

6 hours ago, Da9L said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks like you have a second black tie-wrap at the rear end of the pipes just before they pass through the bulkhead.

speaking about rattles , my mk8 started developing a rattle from interior door handles, whenever I grab a handle to close or open the door it rattles , or when my knee touches the handle while driving it rattles , very annoying actually 

1 hour ago, martinf64 said:

Looks like you have a second black tie-wrap at the rear end of the pipes just before they pass through the bulkhead.

Yeah i actually noticed that. Could that maybe be from one of the times i had the Ford mechanic look at it ?

19 hours ago, Da9L said:

Yeah i actually noticed that. Could that maybe be from one of the times i had the Ford mechanic look at it ?

Could be, I think Ford know they have an issue there. I tried a tie-wrap there too but it didn't seem to make any difference, so removed and now only have the one near the double pipe clip, as per your photos.

• 4 months later...

bringing an old thread alive again , I was at the dealer today , they informed me that there is a TSB from ford regarding this heater pipes rattle, they told me that certain ( O-rings ) on those pipes are to be replaced according to the TSB, and this should solve the problem , so now ford knows about this and finally decided to take an action , just wanted to share this with you guys 🙂 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

bringing an old thread alive again , I was at the dealer today , they informed me that there is a TSB from ford regarding this heater pipes rattle, they told me that certain ( O-rings ) on those pipes are to be replaced according to the TSB, and this should solve the problem , so now ford knows about this and finally decided to take an action , just wanted to share this with you guys 🙂 

Did they tell you what the TSB number is?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martinf64 said:

Did they tell you what the TSB number is?

for sorry no , just they told me that they are aware of the issue, and ford issued a TSB for it, and the TSB includes replacing ( O-rings ) on those pipes, I have no idea what O rings they are talking about, they told me also that this fix cured the problem for the fiestas that have been serviced so far 🙂 

1 hour ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

for sorry no , just they told me that they are aware of the issue, and ford issued a TSB for it, and the TSB includes replacing ( O-rings ) on those pipes, I have no idea what O rings they are talking about, they told me also that this fix cured the problem for the fiestas that have been serviced so far 🙂 

Is this to fix the rattle/clicking sound from the engine bay then?

I thought that was normal sound from the engine or is this issue something different.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club