Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch change cost

pauljoanss

2010 1,6 Petrol manual

Clutch has failed with nothing at the pedal, my local trusted garage has quoted me £650 which seems excessive.

How difficult is this job, clutch and cylinder  kit cost around £150 so possible £500 saving.

What is likely to be the  most difficult part of the job?

I payed I think close to £200 for my LUK clutch kit and bearing, could have got a cheaper one but went for one of the better brands, and a friend of mine who own a garage charged me £250 to fit.

2010 1,6 Petrol manual
Clutch has failed with nothing at the pedal, my local trusted garage has quoted me £650 which seems excessive.
How difficult is this job, clutch and cylinder  kit cost around £150 so possible £500 saving.
What is likely to be the  most difficult part of the job?
Lifting the box in and out on your back. It's a pita. Can be done though. Are you mechanically minded though. A clutch imo isn't something a comply novice should attempt.
  • Like 1

The 1.6 petrol is an easy box to do, But I agree with the comments above, if it’s your first time fitting one I would consider that it may take a lot longer and might not be a pleasant job for a novice.

I wouldn’t pay £650 for a clutch on a 1.6 petrol, £150 tops for a good kit, £20 for oil and a few hours labour. On the ib5 boxes I also tend to do the oil seals while I’m there too for the sake of £10. 

• Like 1

That cost of £650 is shocking! A few years back I got the clutch replaced on my Celica GT4, nightmare of a job involving engine out. It cost me £480 (inc clutch), I though that was bad enough...

• Like 1

My friend just recently had one done at a local reputable independent. £410 all in.  Same engine as yours.

• Like 1

My last Valeo was 285 all in, and my last Luk was 225 all in, which on the Luk the mech also did the O/S driveshaft seal that had been a bit leaky. 650 is a very very excessive number..

How is that justified, may I ask? Are they charging you high labour or high parts cost?

Depending on that could give you the option to supply parts yourself and still have a decent garage do the work- just be mindful of guarantees if you do and they do a bad job of it is all. Definitely good to have a 'friendly' local you can rely on in that situation.

FYI, for something like GSF the best code I've got that just seems to always work is 'mid60'

Hth!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club