Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mk8 steering muted knock !!

Eng_Ahmad1986
聽Share

Hello to all, I hope every one is doing well 馃檪

well I had this issue for around a month now, when turning the steering wheel in a rapid way somehow , I can feel a muted knock , its rather felt in the steering wheel, not heard, as if something is lose or not well bolted, or something is slipping off its place.

yesterday I inspected it myself by turning the steering wheel rapidly while at the same time touching steering column and the U joint shaft, I can feel the knock in the U joint shaft, but I didn't feel it through the column itself and the power steering motor,聽 I didn't feel it either by touching the rod coming from the steering rack ( which is connected to the U joint shaft ), its pretty much felt in that U shaft, however I can't see any abnormal movement in the way that shaft operates, I can't see any of the upper and lower joints slip or move in an abnormal way !!

it should be noted that the steering behavior is normal and nothing wrong with its operation.聽

my fiesta is due for a service soon , I will raise the issue with the dealer, but I just thought to raise the issue with you, may be one of you had gone through the same issue, or may be its is a common issue with this model ?

I'd like to hear also from experts here , regarding their opinion about what could it be 馃檪

Thank you very much for considering.

Howdo.

If you have the car jacked up the drop links will always feel tight.聽 I'd be surprised if they were failed on a new car but it's possible the securing nuts have come loose.

It's worth checking the wheel nuts are tight.

Could be an issue in the steering rack.聽 Or wheel bearings.

Many things it could be really.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

If you have the car jacked up the drop links will always feel tight.聽 I'd be surprised if they were failed on a new car but it's possible the securing nuts have come loose.

so you think that stabilizer links could make such a knock ?

Well they are more likely to knock on bumps to be fair.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, Guy Heaton said:

Well they are more likely to knock on bumps to be fair.

well thank you very much for considering 馃檪 my fiesta is scheduled for service next week, I will raise the issue with them and I will keep you updated聽 馃檪

update : I have done the 10,000 km service maintenance today at the dealer, I have told the service engineer about the knock, he came back telling me that he checked and tightened every thing and every thing seems to be ok , he said that he checked the struts, shock absorbers, suspension control arm, stabilizer and links, steering rack, u joint, and column, every thing seems to be ok, he added that he greased the U joint just in case, and he told me that the knock will disappear, actually it didn't !! I'm thinking of getting the vehicle back to them within a few days to recheck !!

and another thing , the engine oil which they used to replace my engine oil today is the one in the below photos, is it the one suitable for the ecoboost engine ? regarding specs or part number ?

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

14 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

update : I have done the 10,000 km service maintenance today at the dealer, I have told the service engineer about the knock, he came back telling me that he checked and tightened every thing and every thing seems to be ok , he said that he checked the struts, shock absorbers, suspension control arm, stabilizer and links, steering rack, u joint, and column, every thing seems to be ok, he added that he greased the U joint just in case, and he told me that the knock will disappear, actually it didn't !! I'm thinking of getting the vehicle back to them within a few days to recheck !!

and another thing , the engine oil which they used to replace my engine oil today is the one in the below photos, is it the one suitable for the ecoboost engine ? regarding specs or part number ?

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

Yep, the oil looks correct - fully synthetic 5w-20 is the recommended oil for the Fiesta/ 1.0 Ecoboost.

• 3 weeks later...

update : I went to the dealer today, they confirmed that the knock is coming from the steering column, they ordered a replacement part under warranty, with expected delivery and installation within 3 weeks.

my current mileage is 11k km , so did any one experience failure in the steering column ? and that early ? and if any one can provide me with part number for this part ? or at least know if there is a new revised part with a recent start date for its production in case ford made a new revised part, I'm worried they the will install the new part with same part number, developing the same issue again after a while.

thanks for considering 馃檪

• 3 months later...

Did the new steering column fix the noise as I have the same problem with mine when foot is on the brake and turn the wheel left or right got banging聽

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Liam8585 said:

Did the new steering column fix the noise as I have the same problem with mine when foot is on the brake and turn the wheel left or right got banging聽

yes it fixed the issue instantly for me !! , it was not the whole column, just the U joint steering shaft ( that bar with top and bottom joints ) it was an updated part, the old one has a part number that ends with AC , the updated one has a part number that ends with AD, according to them at the dealer, this updated part is mainly made to cure that issue 馃檪

• 5 months later...

I have a 18 plate that has a slight knock when steering at slow speeds, nothing from the suspension when driving ( drives perfectly) but this knock bugs me.

Does this have a TSB number?

Thanks聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club