Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake disc removal

The Finance Guy

Hi all

Does anyone have any good tips on the removal of a very stuck brake disc? For my 2015 Ranger.

I've managed to remove one side using a 6-inch 3-jaw puller, but the other is absolutely welded on. The stuck disc is warped so perhaps heat has been a factor and it has genuinely welded itself on...

Smashed it all over with a lump hammer, used plus-gas spray to try and cut any rust, tried the 3-jaw puller but its just not getting enough bite around the edges of the disc or is just popping off a slice of the corroded edges of the disc. I have ordered an 8-inch puller that looks like it might get some better grip on the thing, but if that doesn't work tomorrow I'll be failing for a third time...can't do that! I've jacked it up too many times now. 

Any clever tips or insider knowledge would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

I don't know the specifics of your car but if the disc is so badly warped that you have so far been unable to free it off - what has it done to the hub? Is that still OK for use?

I doubt it will actually be 'welded' to the hub so if your larger puller won't release the grip then some intense heat might expand it enough to pull it free OR wack it off with your hammer

OR take the hub off and get it pressed off at a garage or workshop

Or replace the hub and disc

Failing that............ :surrender:

10 hours ago, dezwez said:

bigger hammer😀

I did consider that option, however its just on stands so I wouldn't be able to get at it with a bigger hammer. As much as I would love to, I don't have a 2 post lift... 😞

I take it you haven't missed a disc screw or wavy washer? 😉

Bigger hammer is the way to go though, rust needs a sharp shock to break, unlike a bearing that needs a smooth, steady pull.

1 hour ago, The Finance Guy said:

I did consider that option, however its just on stands so I wouldn't be able to get at it with a bigger hammer. As much as I would love to, I don't have a 2 post lift... 😞

It could be on a 2 post lift if you fancy a Fife trip lol.

15 minutes ago, stef123 said:

It could be on a 2 post lift if you fancy a Fife trip lol.

Might just take you up on that Stefan. Wouldn't be too far to travel...

If I have no joy with the bigger puller, I will give you a shout. Whereabouts in Fife?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I take it you haven't missed a disc screw or wavy washer? 😉

Bigger hammer is the way to go though, rust needs a sharp shock to break, unlike a bearing that needs a smooth, steady pull.

Na there's no fixings - its all held on by the caliper and the wheel. And in this case, the rust binding it to the hub.

3 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

Might just take you up on that Stefan. Wouldn't be too far to travel...

If I have no joy with the bigger puller, I will give you a shout. Whereabouts in Fife?

I’ll pm you. 

The job is done. 

Bigger 3-jaw pullers, bit of heat around the hat, and many skelps with the 4lb hammer. 

Thanks to everyone who gave tips, and to Stef for the offer of a lift...!

Check out the state of the disc that came off. Definitely heat has been a factor here. Hopefully the pulsating brake foot will be gone now. 

DISC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used a long bolt in the caliper holder to push out before now, same principle as a windback tool.

• Like 1

Crikey, that's bad for a nearly new car!  Wait...2015 was almost 5 years ago now? :unsure:  When did that happen? :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Crikey, that's bad for a nearly new car!  Wait...2015 was almost 5 years ago now? :unsure:  When did that happen? :laugh: 

I know its horrendous. Only done 40k miles, but I suspect at least a few of them were hard. I got it in November last year, and the front wheel was very badly misaligned, on the same side as this disc came off, so I think it has had some kind of bump in that corner, maybe kerbed or a proper bad pothole, and that has bent the disc. Excessive wear on the inside pad, so it being bent it has then been rubbing constantly on the pad, generating heat all the time. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club