Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MR165

Baild

Evening. I've just had the car mapped and i cant believe the difference it makes! Even managed to go with Greenlight and save 200 quid compared to what i was paying standard with Co op.

...but im not 100% about the map. Its only been on a few hours and ive only done a couple miles around town, but it seems to be getting itself confused on light throttle to a point it will start hesitating unless you either back off completely or give it more right foot.

From the quick searching i've done, it seems a few people have had this as the ECU has not had chance to adjust parameters and 'stuff'. I read somewhere about 'bedding' in a new map over the first 100 miles. Is that actually a thing, or have i now got a problem i didn't have this morning? 😞

Cheers!

What map have you had put on? If its dyno tuned then it should be good from the start. If it's just a generic map then it will take a little driving for the ECU to make minor adjustments to the map to make it run smoother. Every supposidly 'like for like' engine performs slightly differently from one another hence why a '1 size fits all' solution isnt ideal.

Thanks pal. Its one from Mountune.

I'm heading down to Dartmouth from Cumbria shortly, so that should be long enough for it to sort itself out! 

Well 240 miles hasnt made a blind bit of difference. Maybe the next 140 will do the trick? 😕

Not impressed with this so far 😞

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Did you install the MR165 kit or just the map?

That's a point - iirc the MR165 was quite a comprehensive (and pricey) package with intercooler, induction kit, intake hoses, etc, plus the remap.

I installed everything but the intercooler. There's an air con pipe in the way and i couldnt get the old one out, so had a dealer do that bit. Drove the car 70 miles home and then put the map straight on... then problems started.

Update.

I've just checked everything again and the only thing a bit suspect, was the second pipe coming off the secondary intake hose wasnt 100% clicked into place. Other than that i cant see anything out of place/wrong

So if all the hardware was correctly fitted, and it was running fine before installation of the map, that seems to point to the software so I would think a call to Mountune would be in order.

If it was something like Superchips bluefin you could try reinstalling the standard map to check if it was the remap at fault, but I have an idea from earlier threads on this that you can't do that with Mountune - unless things have changed.

Called them this morning and at first they thought it might be as simple as the firmware on handset been out of date.. but it wasn't. I've gone back over everything and theres's nothing loose or out of place. The only thing they're not sure about is the hard pipe on charge kit. I dont have it... but it comes when you buy the full MR165 kit (i did it in stages). Maybe that will be it.. but im gonna fit some new plugs until they're back in stock, under the illusion that will fix everything....

Other than the above, Mountune have offered to take a look at the car, but being in the North West it's a bit of a hike!

I hope it’s something you get sorted without having to go all the way to Mountune but personally i’d be focusing on the components you put on for the remap, software included.

If I read correctly, you had hardware put on first, drove briefly then had the map?

If that’s correct, did you have the symptoms when driving on upgraded hardware but before the map or did it appear after the map?

Aye, had everything on the car for at least a month with zero problems. I then had the intercooler fitted, drove 70 odd miles up the M6, again with no issues. As soon as i got home that night i put the map on and the problem instantly appeared.

I've had the battery off. Even tried the 'learning reset' on the Cobb handset but nothing makes a difference. All i can think of is getting the map taken off at Ford, but Gawd knows how much that will cost me!

Mountunes position at the minute is hardware issue... but i can't see how it would be. The hard pipe from the charge kit is all i'm missing but again, i can't see how the stock version would cause all this aggro!

1 minute ago, Baild said:

Aye, had everything on the car for at least a month with zero problems. I then had the intercooler fitted, drove 70 odd miles up the M6, again with no issues. As soon as i got home that night i put the map on and the problem instantly appeared.

I've had the battery off. Even tried the 'learning reset' on the Cobb handset but nothing makes a difference. All i can think of is getting the map taken off at Ford, but Gawd knows how much that will cost me!

Mountunes position at the minute is hardware issue... but i can't see how it would be. The hard pipe from the charge kit is all i'm missing but again, i can't see how the stock version would cause all this aggro!

I’d be almost certain it’s an issue with the map. If the hardware didn’t cause any issues, there’s not much wrong with it. Can’t see a hard pipe causing so much issues as the stock isn’t exactly made with paper. 

I’d be putting my money on the map having ruined something but if that’s the case, i bet it will be something they’ll have to diagnose. 

Wonder what Ford would say if you wanted to put the stock map on, you’ll either be really lucky and they’ll do you a deal or they’ll come up with a number that’ll make your eyes water

Either way, before forking out any more money, ideally you’d want to have Mountune take a look at it imo 

I also think its the map, but unfortunately i can't seem to convince the people it matters! To be fair to them, they have been helpful but i'm at a bit of a dead end.... i'm just praying it's not literally 'ruined' something and knackered what was a decent car!

You should ideally be able to run logs to send to Mountune using the Cobb handset. They could then diagnose from afar. 

1 minute ago, ThaiFiesta said:

You should ideally be able to run logs to send to Mountune using the Cobb handset. They could then diagnose from afar. 

Really? I'll have a look tomorrow! Thanks pal!

Quick update on this..

New plugs fitted - no change

Used a mates car as a temp donor and his coil packs/MAF sensor make no difference.

A dealer has checked over all the hoses and can't see any splits etc. so i guess that pretty much leaves the map. Back to Mountune i go. Looks like a trip to Essex might be in order 😞

So plugs and fitting the Mountune hard pipe didn't make a bit of difference, although a few other things have happened.

My mates had his Ecoboost remapped elsewhere and never had any problems, and while we were out the other day i noticed he doesnt have an Eco button, whereas i do. With that on, mine seems a lot more settled. Not 100%, but a lot better.

Today i went out with the Torque app running and noticed two things. The Throttle position seems to 'idle' at 15.6%, i was expecting it to be zero. Presume this is right, just not what i was expecting. One other thing that seemed strange was the MAF readout. Seems very erratic, especially when the car started surging. Was anywhere between 1.x and upto 19.x The revs never flucuated, neither really did the vacuum readout.

Iirc MAF sensor is a common failure in the mk7/7.5. 

Might be worth replacing to see if it fixes. I guess if it looks like you're not getting enough air for max boost, you'll get a flat spot. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a few weeks but thought i would share an update.

I went to see a guy called Simon in Evans Halshaw Preston who arranged for the map to be taken off. Instantly the problem went away. A week later i went back and the map was reinstalled. As soon as i pulled out the car park, guess what? The problem was back.

It's now had a new MAF, MAP, plugs and coil packs. Nothing has made a difference.

To be fair to both Mountune and Simon, they've both been extremely helpful and neither can understand whats going on. The MR165 makes a huge difference but the car just hasnt taken to it. The power delivery is no longer smooth and the hesitation/stumbling has got to a point where i'm starting to resent the car and don't want to drive it. I'm all out of ideas with the exception of the TPS and the boost pressure sensor.... but where does it end if it isn't one of them? With that in mind, i've asked for the map to be taken back off and it will be just left at that.

No.1 lesson learnt? If you want a car with a bit more poke... buy a faster car!