Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 2.0tdci issues

Swearwolf

Issue 1: insanely poor MPG - 31mpg is the best ive got on a 50 mile commute to work

issue 2: Phantom large oil leak - leaks on top of gearbox down the back and sprays out through passenger wheel, have changed  fuel pump gasket but can't for the life of me find the source?! im not having to top up oil really but its ruining my drive

issue 3: boost! i get codes P0238, P2263 regularly. sometimes when driving and in 6th but going up a hill if i dont change down to 5th it kills all boost in all gears until i turn off and turn car back on then its fine, also when booting it its sometimes a bit hesitant. also when i hit 3k rpm in 3rd it feels like someones slammed the brakes on and wont go over 60mph, very occasionally *fuel filter oil filter all done, new glowplugs too*

any help with any of the above would be absolutely fantastic, thank you in advance

Sure I recognise that name...another previous 306 owner? :wink: 

Have you checked for boost leaks and sticky turbo vanes as a starting point?  Checking MAP sensor live readings would also be helpful to see if that's operating correctly.

few years ago i owned 2 306s yeah lol long time now.

i think there may be a boost leak at the inlet manifold but not entirely sure how to tell? pipes a bit perished where the jubilee goes

not sure how to check turbo vanes? i got loads of power most times when i boot it but then it suddenly cuts off turbo like someone hammering the brakes til i drop gear and try again, managed to get 33mpg on a 50 mile commute its costing me more than my petrol car did for the same journey 😞 got a diesel for the economy lol

12 minutes ago, Swearwolf said:

few years ago i owned 2 306s yeah lol long time now.

i think there may be a boost leak at the inlet manifold but not entirely sure how to tell? pipes a bit perished where the jubilee goes

not sure how to check turbo vanes? i got loads of power most times when i boot it but then it suddenly cuts off turbo like someone hammering the brakes til i drop gear and try again, managed to get 33mpg on a 50 mile commute its costing me more than my petrol car did for the same journey 😞 got a diesel for the economy lol

Yeah I thought so lol, I used to be on the 306 forums occasionally... :whistling: 

If there's a leak up by the mani you'll probably see some oil mist sprayed out around there?  If not, get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray it around the area while getting someone else to rev the engine a bit, you should see bubbles if there's a leak there. 

It sounds more like you're getting overboost faults though, means you'll get loads of power at the bottom end but then it'll go into limp mode to stop damage higher up in the revs.  More likely to be a sensor or actuator fault than the vanes themselves though imo.  I don't think you can easily see the vane actuator rod on the Focus 2.0 can you?  I'm more familiar with the 1.6s!

The 2.0TDCi isn't all that good for economy, but you should get 45+ on a 50 mile run, boost leak could explain the poor economy, do you notice any black exhaust smoke? 

21 minutes ago, bashbarnard said:

Previous 306 owner you say. emoji848.png

I'm pretty sure he was on the original pug306.net before the 306oc split! :biggrin: 

cheers mate. yeah probably overboost... is that all down to a sensor do you think? map sensor? as im getting codes saying boost sensor circuit high

cant even see the turbo on the 2.0 LOL

it does have hard starts from cold, and chucks out white smoke after it finally starts. no other smoke at all even when drving hard... white smoke is excess fuel isnt it? dunno if its dumping fuel due to map sensor as well

yes was on original pug306.net LOL

1 minute ago, Swearwolf said:

cheers mate. yeah probably overboost... is that all down to a sensor do you think? map sensor? as im getting codes saying boost sensor circuit high

cant even see the turbo on the 2.0 LOL

it does have hard starts from cold, and chucks out white smoke after it finally starts. no other smoke at all even when drving hard... white smoke is excess fuel isnt it? dunno if its dumping fuel due to map sensor as well

yes was on original pug306.net LOL

I can't say what's causing it without further tests unfortunately, live MAP sensor readings would be the first thing I'd look at though.

White smoke is unburnt fuel (usually glow plugs or injectors), black smoke is partly burnt fuel (usually lack of boost).  Hard starts from cold and white smoke are probably failing glow plugs.

Is it a DPF model btw?  I've just noticed it's a CMax rather than a standard Focus so not sure if they had DPF's in 2005? 

its had brand new glow plugs lol 😞 though at least one has failed already and its been in 4 weeks... (code came back) and no DPF on mine 😄 will try get live map readings on journey home cheers mate

It might not be the plugs themselvesthen, the relay or wiring might be faulty, you'd have to check if they're getting power.

• Thanks 1

so had laptop with me from work today, decided to wipe all codes before setting off then run map sensor live data all the way home. well wiped all codes and eml stayed off all the way home and the car drove perfectly.i mean literally, full boost in all gears, no hesitation, no cutting out of boost and no eml. im kinda ***** off cos i had nothing to record :(! LOL

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Swearwolf said:

so had laptop with me from work today, decided to wipe all codes before setting off then run map sensor live data all the way home. well wiped all codes and eml stayed off all the way home and the car drove perfectly.i mean literally, full boost in all gears, no hesitation, no cutting out of boost and no eml. im kinda ***** off cos i had nothing to record :(! LOL

Sods law.

49 minutes ago, Swearwolf said:

Did you get any more MPG? :laugh:

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Did you get any more MPG? :laugh:

no 😞 lol maxes out at 32.7mpg

• Sad 1

mine was that colour i scrapped it cos it stalled everytime i pressed the clutch LOL

ive got some forscan logs of the map sensor during cold start if any use

i've just read that at engine off, it should read atmospheric at 14.7 psi (which it does show at 101.8kpa)

then at idle it should read nearer 0 psi? however mine doesnt go any lower than 14.3psi at idle.......

5 minutes ago, Swearwolf said:

i've just read that at engine off, it should read atmospheric at 14.7 psi (which it does show at 101.8kpa)

then at idle it should read nearer 0 psi? however mine doesnt go any lower than 14.3psi at idle.......

No, with a turbo diesel engine you'll always be at or above atmospheric pressure, there's never a vacuum in there.  We're more interested in what happens when it's under load though, how high it gets, if it rises and falls with RPM/load and if it suddenly spikes etc.

i can send you the forscan log from my 25mile journey yesterday if you want? it has the oscilloscope for the map but unfortunately had no issues LOL it maxed at 250kpa

2 hours ago, bashbarnard said:

Are we all posting 306s now? emoji23.pngemoji23.png.

aeee34d1e77d78f95470ebb43ab3a05a.jpg

Thought that was one of mine for minute! :laugh: 

IMAG3463.thumb.jpg.c21e5b94e56f2ec616f0fd48da255b10.jpg

China, clones and 40mm drop FTW... :lol: 

Most of my 306 pictures are on the other HDD...good job really or I could spend all day posting them!  I've owned 18 of the damn things!! :rolleyes:   The estate sums up 306 ownership for me though... exhaust fell off, door handle snapped, only one plate light working...this one ended up parted out due to a rusty rear arch a few months after this though (drove without an exhaust for a few weeks lol)...I wonder where those blue brakes are now! :biggrin: 

EstateMilage015_zps6307f500.jpg

EstateMilage010_zpsbf70ff66.jpg

2 hours ago, Swearwolf said:

i can send you the forscan log from my 25mile journey yesterday if you want? it has the oscilloscope for the map but unfortunately had no issues LOL it maxed at 250kpa

Not much point unless there's a fault to look for lol, especially with a 25 mile log! :laugh:  

back to itself today 3k rpm in 3rd and its like it hits a wall til i change up....eml back on lol

1 hour ago, Swearwolf said:

back to itself today 3k rpm in 3rd and its like it hits a wall til i change up....eml back on lol

What code has it thrown this time?  Same boost faults as before?

gonna pull the codes in a few minutes, emailed the seller about glow plugs as one is buggered lol

found my boost leak. where the pipe from intercooler goes to the manifold with soapy water its bubbling like mad at idle lol