Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt mechanic stumped advice pls

fluff2693
聽Share

Hi I have had cambelt and water pump replaced 聽and eml now on

The mechanic cant get it to go off or sort misfire he has replaced plugs coil leads still running terrible and now wants to wash his hand off car and says take it to dealer at my expense馃槺

Surely he has a duty to sort this out he got car in good order his work has caused this problem聽

can anyone advise my best course of action he has had car 2 weeks nearly and still not fixed.

He knackered it, he fixes it.
Simple.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

i agree, i think it's the timing most likely a tooth out when he tightened it, i'd get it to someone who can have a quick look at the timing for you, if your mechanic is a qualified one then he will know what he's done and doesn't want to be responsible for the costs it will take him to fix

12 hours ago, Miggs2002 said:

i agree, i think it's the timing most likely a tooth out when he tightened it, i'd get it to someone who can have a quick look at the timing for you, if your mechanic is a qualified one then he will know what he's done and doesn't want to be responsible for the costs it will take him to fix

If you take to another garage, get them to report in detail what they find so you have some hard written evidence if you have to take this chap to court to recover your costs.

Thanks for everyones reply,

How easy is it to check timing ie time consuming does engine mounts have to be moved etc

Thanks everyone

for somebody who knows how to do it then it should only take a few mins, just a case of using a timing light

• Like 1

A timing light (Oh the good old days........) on a modern electronic ignition Fiesta Econetic should bring up some interesting results.............................................

It's the Valve Timing which is out mechanically, nothing to do with the ignition timing,

H

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Trying to remember the last time I saw a timing light! :laugh:

It is a bit time consuming to remove the belt covers (inc top engine mount), probably around 30mins on a ramp with garage tools.

• Like 2

Thanks , when you say valve timing not ignition would this be due to cam belt replacement?

Got it booked in with a recomended garage (ah hindsight)

Hopefully they can sort been unusable for 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Trying to remember the last time I saw a timing light!

back in he 80s馃槉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fluff2693 said:

Thanks , when you say valve timing not ignition would this be due to cam belt replacement

yes聽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hamster said:

A timing light (Oh the good old days........) on a modern electronic ignition Fiesta Econetic should bring up some interesting results.............................................

It's the Valve Timing which is out mechanically, nothing to do with the ignition timing,

H

i;ve had more classic cars than i have modern, i even have a home made stethoscope in the garage for listening to different parts of the engine聽馃槃聽the prroblem these days is you plug a computer in to the car to get to most problems, been a while since i did my own cambelt, think y last one was one of my mk3 golfs

right i'm off to go look at some walking sticks and a flat cap聽馃槀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trying to remember the last time I saw a timing light! [emoji23]聽
It is a bit time consuming to remove the belt covers (inc top engine mount), probably around 30mins on a ramp with garage tools.
Last week [emoji23][emoji23]. I've got my hands in all sorts though from early 50s to 2019 stuff.

So in regards to this. I have seen this problem before. A fellow "mechanic" I use this term very very loosely here. Done the same job same engine everything. Had a misfire on occasion. Come back in timing was checked. (Again by him) it then got tossed to ford. My company didn't want to deal with it. So unfortunately I have no reasonable outcome. I can only speculate.

My thoughts here. The timing may well be in time at the belt. However if it's vvt and the internals have moved this would cause it. Only way you'll know is if there is a tool for the cam directly or on a decent diagnostics with what degree they're firing at with comparative information to look at it.

• Like 1

Thanks bashbarnard, you are the first to suggest this cause of the fault, not sure if the 1.2 ka as vvt .

If this is the problem how have the internals possibly moved? Is it possible to move them whilst doing belt change?

Thanks bashbarnard, you are the first to suggest this cause of the fault, not sure if the 1.2 ka as vvt .
If this is the problem how have the internals possibly moved? Is it possible to move them whilst doing belt change?
The 1.2 Ka im almost certain is just the fiat 500 in drag. Some of the 1.2 have a vvt "thing" on cam. I've not had much to do with them. But from memory I think the correct tool locks the cam. Not the pully. It wouldn't surprise me if the pully was marked with tipex to make the job faster to do. If it was it may well look in time but be slightly out. This is of course all speculation. You could always undo the top cover a little. I think it's about 3 10 mm bolts that are easy to get to with a 1/4 drive set. And wiggle the cover back a little to see if it's got tipex on. If it has the Liklyhood is they done it like this.

If you drop me a pm with your reg number I can confirm for you if it is intact the engine I am thinking of. As I say all of this but I may well be wrong. [emoji106]

Just to keep the thread updated as well. Got the pm with the reg. Yes it is vvt. You can see the solenoids in 2nd picture and the plate to lock the cam in the first. Check it's not been tipexed first. [emoji106]ba08af3128f420db32d391d750f99f14.jpgc8bd3156944a65ffdc4f78e3f7af1582.jpg

I presume a decent mechanic would be aware of this and know how to correct it if it has been done wrong when doin cambelt first time

Even with the correct tools used, some idiot so called mechanics get it wrong. I've done loads of them Inc fiat variants without issue. Lad at work did 2 and got both wrong with resulting poor running and engine light on. Needless to say he don't work for us anymore.聽

• Like 1

The problem with mechanics. Is there are mechanics and fitters.

Fitters think they're mechanics cause they can change some breaks and do an easy belt. But run at the sight of anything more than 2 hour job.

Mechanics will look at 407 clutch job and go right where do we start to get this right.

• Like 1

Great replies,

Hopefully this time I get great mechanic , is it just a case of taking belt off and starting from scratch or adjust it in situ?

Great replies,
Hopefully this time I get great mechanic , is it just a case of taking belt off and starting from scratch or adjust it in situ?
Belt off iirc. I can't remember if the cam is keywayed or not.

1 hour ago, fluff2693 said:

cant be any worse than the last cowboy I hope good luck聽馃槉

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club