Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt mechanic stumped advice pls

fluff2693

yeh you have to be really unlucky to get 2 incompetent mechanics, hopefully this new one will have better knowledge than me character0032.gif

Just an update the car now in garage will let u all know when I get any info 

Thanks for all your input keep it comin

On 9/5/2019 at 2:12 PM, fluff2693 said:

Just an update the car now in garage will let u all know when I get any info 

Thanks for all your input keep it comin

I would ask this current garage to write a report if any damage caused by the first guy. If there is, get them to quote for a repair, and get the other mechanic to pay for it. If you're paying this second mechanic, I would make sure I have my money back from the first one.

I managed to change my belt on my 1.6 Focus, i'm not a mechanic and my job couldn't be further from it. I made sure I read up on the job and knew how to do it correctly (and any pitfalls I might come across). Not sure i'd attempt a belt on my new motor though 😄

Hi everyone ,

So car goes to garage they check timing and do pcm update car wont go above 50mph😩 and fault now shows lambaba sensor so they replace AND

Car run perfectly 

so the facts 

1st mechanic does seevice mot and cambelt 

car comes back mot pass

misfires after 2 miles

mechanic changes leads coil pack still misfires

he has car 2 weeks and no solution he reads up about pcm (ecu update but dosnt have software to do )

Now I have bill £199 check timing do update

and bill £225 for new lambaba sensor( probably screwed by running wirh misfire)

The fact he did cambelt and since all these problems he now only wants to pay £65 for the update

so thoughts pls

Hi everyone ,
So car goes to garage they check timing and do pcm update car wont go above 50mph[emoji30] and fault now shows lambaba sensor so they replace AND
Car run perfectly 
so the facts 
1st mechanic does seevice mot and cambelt 
car comes back mot pass
misfires after 2 miles
mechanic changes leads coil pack still misfires
he has car 2 weeks and no solution he reads up about pcm (ecu update but dosnt have software to do )
Now I have bill £199 check timing do update
and bill £225 for new lambaba sensor( probably screwed by running wirh misfire)
The fact he did cambelt and since all these problems he now only wants to pay £65 for the update
so thoughts pls
I'd personally be throwing a ***** wobbly at the first mechanic. Just my 2p. ***** goes wrong 2 miles after you do something. You fix it for free. That's good practice for any mechanic.
  • Like 1

I think same maybe some of us have a different view to mechanic

but he says if software updated first it would have all been ok we will never know and just coicidence lamba sensor went faulty

so in total 

£290 cambelt

£200 remove recheck timing and software update

£224 new ford lamba sensor fitted

He giving me £75 (cost of software update

and writing of new coil and leads he fitted

Do your own sums😪.

fyi 27000 mile 63 plate ka

I think same maybe some of us have a different view to mechanic
but he says if software updated first it would have all been ok we will never know and just coicidence lamba sensor went faulty
so in total 

£290 cambelt
£200 remove recheck timing and software update
£224 new ford lamba sensor fitted
He giving me £75 (cost of software update
and writing of new coil and leads he fitted
Do your own sums[emoji25].
fyi 27000 mile 63 plate ka

I've been looking into this. Go to ford. Ask them to reset the parameters for the "phonic wheel" at least that's what the fiat dealers call this. Have a Google at misfire after cambelt change with fiat 500 or Punto with that 1.2 engine. Unfortunately I don't have the kit to do it. Someone on here may be able to. Not sure if forscan can do it.

Basically if it's even slightly different to it's learned timing and it will be. You'll never get a cambelt exactly the same. To many varients. Im talking less than 1000s of an inch out. It'll throw a wobbly. I've had a look on a few fiat forums today and it seems to be a common issue with these engines. Have a Google [emoji106]

If you've taken the car to a m/garage, and it's then broken afterwards, imo it's up to them to put it right if the issue is related to the job they did.

They should not undertake a job they are not skilled to do, or that they don't have the tools or knowledge for. Even if it's a quick read of the service manual or Haynes/autodata books.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies,

The mechanic is saying it must be coincidence 😂 that lamba sensor went wrong and he did eveything correct I have argued it was fine b4 he touched car .

He said it only had to have software reset my problem is proving it 

I have been totally shafted I think we all agree and the 2nd garage said when they checked timing fine ( 1st mechanic had probably rechecked and put it right) but by driving car it fooked sensor 

Trying to prove his incomptence is hard although as independent witnesses all on this forum have found him guilty mlord

This will probably make you laugh🤣

Got car back minus an extra £350 its running fine 

But the mechanic has lost the key he has for the car ( you couldnt write this)

The car is a studio plus ka so no central locking but Iam going to make him pay for 2 new keys and totally new recoded to the car ( god knows how he has misplaced it)

Hope this makes u feellucky that you never used this mechanic

ps rough price for 2 new keys anyone know

This will probably make you laugh[emoji1787]
Got car back minus an extra £350 its running fine 
But the mechanic has lost the key he has for the car ( you couldnt write this)
The car is a studio plus ka so no central locking but Iam going to make him pay for 2 new keys and totally new recoded to the car ( god knows how he has misplaced it)
Hope this makes u feellucky that you never used this mechanic
ps rough price for 2 new keys anyone know

What was done to make it run right? Im assuming it was a relearn of the phonic wheel?

Also what a prat. Im going self employed very soon and I'd never have treated you the way his done [emoji23].

Hi bash, so to get it running properly,

2nd garage removed and refitted belt , reset pcm ,

road test wouldnt go over 50 mph

new lamba o2 sensor and 😁😁😃 its running fine 

my conclusion he fitted belt slightly out then when i returned it to him he re did timing ( he borrows locking tool) but in running round in it whilst eml it has fooked  o2 sensor

so 1 problem lead to another problem is proving he did timing wrong 1st time but as I said it sailed thru mot 5 hrs later after doung cambelt the eml is on . 

From what I have read cambelt renewal on ka/fiat 500 can trip eml 

so go somewhere that can reset ecu before the misfire fooks other parts and empties your wallet

Hi as the car has no central locking will i need to get locks changed as if anyone finds key they will be able to get in car 

Realise they wont be able to start it if get it reprogrammed but surely as it is totally manual to get into car it is unsecure

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club