Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Error code P0490

juany

Hi 

I have a 1.8tdci 2007 focus and the engine management light came on whilst my wife was driving back from doing the shopping. I plugged my code reader in and this error code come up P0490 and it has just started, ive got a blanking plate that was fitted over 2 years ago with no problems at all and until now we have had no problems,.

Does anyone have any ideas why this has just started and also what things would i need to do to try and find / locate the problem.

many thanks 

Juany

is the EGR still plug in to the main computer? it sounds like the electrics have an issue in there somewhere, i am only guessing based on the fact the codes for a short and the fact it's been blanked so long and never shown up before, i'm new to fords but that's where i'd be looking

do you think i should take off the blanking plate

I have blanked the egr on all my diesels, it's cleaner for the engine to have it blanked and as diesels don't have emissions tests on the mot it's not an issue, also my tester knows that the engine lights on because of the blank and doesn't mention it on the test certificate, they were designed for other countries that have stricter emissions laws than us so no real issue for us to not have it, you can get a mapper to delete the egr from the ecu which will get rid of the light if it bothers you, I think it's most likely wiring related though

thanks for the advice, i will have a look at the wiring over the weekend and hopefully sorts out the issue

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club