VFR800

MK4 Focus electronics are....

Recommended Posts

FLAKEY AS FOOK!!!!!

Stuff switches off randomly, hill assist, speed limiter, USB media device.

Other stuff hangs or just plays up.

And it's all random and fixed with an ignition cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VFR800 said:

FLAKEY AS FOOK!!!!!

Stuff switches off randomly, hill assist, speed limiter, USB media device.

Other stuff hangs or just plays up.

And it's all random and fixed with an ignition cycle.

I’m due to get delivery of an ST-Line soon. I spoke to someone on YouTube who had 22,000 miles on his 2018 ST-Line x. Had minor issues with battery and electric windows sorted. Had change oil msg at 3000 miles. Said his pre collision warning was far to sensitive but reckoned it’s  a software update he needs for that. Which engine ? How long u had the car? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.5 diesel and since June with 4500 miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people forget cars are stuffed full of computers these days, like any software its written by strange people who don't do communication very well and these days all bug testing is done exclusively by the end user.... 

go and ask them to plug it in and put this week's fixes in place....

caveat expect them to add in nearly as many as they take out.... one day it'll almost be OK.  Since birth there have been more than 60 revision to the software available for a 1 series.. No idea how Ford do it, Merc is one module at a time, so they never bother, on beamers they blast the whole car in one hit so everything runs the currently released "approved" disaster but again they never do it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should try an Audi, friends A4 BE has been in the garage more times than I remember for electronics since December. You'd expect better for a car that cost the better part of 35k. LED lights failure, MMS glitches and failure, various interior lights flickering, HVAC throwing out hot hair instead of cool (great in the recent weather) and weird timing issues with the engine electrics. Oh and the latest was the dashboard completely blanking out at 70mph. It's a running joke the dealer is his second garage now.

All cars have glitches, the more electronics you stuff into a car the greater chance of a failure or 'quirk'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest issue I'm having with sync3 at the moment is screen brightness.

It can take an age for it to come on, or its Very dim and over a few mins comes to what it should be. Did have the forget usb device for the first time tonight too.

Yes the pre-collision is way to sensitive, one of the most heard comments in my car is " I'm not even close " 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

The biggest issue I'm having with sync3 at the moment is screen brightness.

It can take an age for it to come on, or its Very dim and over a few mins comes to what it should be. Did have the forget usb device for the first time tonight too.

Yes the pre-collision is way to sensitive, one of the most heard comments in my car is " I'm not even close " 😄

Software update needed! (I think) really should be a recall...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actual mine has worse with the latest software update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Had mine 3 months.  Had the Sync unit freeze once when it couldn't access a usb stick of mp3s.

Collision avoidance system is *****.  No other word to describe it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

 Had mine 3 months.  Had the Sync unit freeze once when it couldn't access a usb stick of mp3s.

Collision avoidance system is *****.  No other word to describe it.  

I’ve read there’s no way to turn it off? Is it a beep or a light? Or both? How close to a collision do u need to get ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

Actual mine has worse with the latest software update.

How did u get the software update? At the dealer ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can turn off active braking but not the sensor.

So if I am overtaking a slow tractor or whatever I start the acceleration still in my lane, before I pull out.

This triggers the CA.  Big flashing warning in the centre display.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alex.S said:

How did u get the software update? At the dealer ? 

Downloaded Sync3 update from website.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

You can turn off active braking but not the sensor.

So if I am overtaking a slow tractor or whatever I start the acceleration still in my lane, before I pull out.

This triggers the CA.  Big flashing warning in the centre display.

 

Seems to me that as there have only been a few people reporting problems with the pre collision assist feature that maybe the algorithm software for this may need checking/updating on your vehicle. I've had my MK4 for 10 months now and have had no problems with this. The only times it has operated have been genuine incidents. Still makes you jump though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the software for the Pre collision assist may be stored on an associated module only accessible via the OBD port by a dealer . The settings are changeable via steering wheel controls not the Sync3 screen ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye you're probably right.  I'd have hoped with a build date of 15th May I'd be fairly up to date.

Not sure I can be bothered to go to the dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Focus slams the brakes on if I slowly edge up towards the wall of my office when parking. Big gravel skid. Gives me a fright every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.