Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issue with my new Edge

vicarofsheff

I picked up my new Edge ST-Line on Monday with just 13 miles on the clock. 

I took it back Tuesday as it felt like the engine was missing.

Dealer ran it with computer plugged in and the fault is the torque convertor in the gear box

There have been previously reported issues with the 2017/2018 Ford Edge torque converters, but not to my knowledge with the Diesel engines.  It should be replaced FOC by Ford.  Not a good advert for a new car though. 

• Like 1

If the engine was missing i'm surprised it started at all...........................................

H

• Haha 2

I was thinking that when I read the post, but left the honour to you Kev.  😉 

It felt like the engine was missing but turned out to be the tourqe convertor in the gear box that made the car feel like it was spluttering.

It has been in the dealers since Tuesday they are waiting parts that are on back order.

So may be along wait. 

I hope they have supplied you with a suitable replacement

19 minutes ago, Westville said:

I hope they have supplied you with a suitable replacement

A 68 plate focus vignale for now 

Not wishing to be a smarty pants here but its good to get the story correct. The Powershift Gearbox in an Edge does not have a Torque Converter. Torque Converters are used in traditional hydraulically operated automatic transmissions. Much simplified, they act as a fluid coupling between the engine and the automatic transmission, think Ford C3, C4, Borg Warner and adjustable Brakebands.

Powershift is exactly what it says, it is a very advanced 'Power' Shifter. It shifts so you don't have to. This brings the efficiency of a manual transmission but with the ease and driveability of an Auto. Think, Manual Gearbox but with a very advanced gear lever shifter bolted to the front. These Powershift transmissions use a drive plate connected to a dual clutch pack with two input shafts. As one gear is selected the shifter is already planning the next shift. So they drive like an Auto but its really only the shift which is automatic. They have a form of a traditional manual gear set to do the driving.

In the large vehicle transmissions, Mondeo, Galaxy, Edge etc. they use a wet dual clutch pack (Change Gearbox oil and Filter at 36K!!) The smaller ones use a dry clutch pack, Focus etc.

So VoS, whoever told you it was the Torque Converter does not really know what they are talking about, its the clutch pack. None of which is Dealer serviceable so you'll be getting a complete new gearbox. Still not good but at least you now know more than your Dealer!! 

H

Glad you said that Hamster. I thought it but wasn’t confident so googled it and found an entry for Edge torque converter so thought I was wrong. Well done 👍

The PowerShift was changed to an 8 speed torque converter when the face lift came in this year.

I know I’ve got one my drive and it’s definitely not a dual clutch. Not least due to the problems Ford have had with legal cases over them in the US.

I researched it in some detail before I picked up my car last month and it’s a 8 speed torque converter that, rather strangely, was co developed with GM.

That would explain things. Mine is an OLD 6 speed dual clutch. 

Ah, well, that's progress.

I can't be right about everything!

H

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2019 at 9:44 PM, Hamster said:

Not wishing to be a smarty pants here but its good to get the story correct. The Powershift Gearbox in an Edge does not have a Torque Converter. Torque Converters are used in traditional hydraulically operated automatic transmissions. Much simplified, they act as a fluid coupling between the engine and the automatic transmission, think Ford C3, C4, Borg Warner and adjustable Brakebands.

Powershift is exactly what it says, it is a very advanced 'Power' Shifter. It shifts so you don't have to. This brings the efficiency of a manual transmission but with the ease and driveability of an Auto. Think, Manual Gearbox but with a very advanced gear lever shifter bolted to the front. These Powershift transmissions use a drive plate connected to a dual clutch pack with two input shafts. As one gear is selected the shifter is already planning the next shift. So they drive like an Auto but its really only the shift which is automatic. They have a form of a traditional manual gear set to do the driving.

In the large vehicle transmissions, Mondeo, Galaxy, Edge etc. they use a wet dual clutch pack (Change Gearbox Oil and Filter at 36K!!) The smaller ones use a dry clutch pack, Focus etc.

So VoS, whoever told you it was the Torque Converter does not really know what they are talking about, its the clutch pack. None of which is Dealer serviceable so you'll be getting a complete new gearbox. Still not good but at least you now know more than your Dealer!! 

H

I only wrote what the dealer told me was wrong.

I am no mechanic far from it.

I have been back to dealers today and the parts will not be available until middle of next month at the earliest.

I have regected the car and ordered a replacement edge which I should receive later this week

20190909_114136.jpg

20190909_114200.jpg

2 hours ago, vicarofsheff said:

I have been back to dealers today and the parts will not be available until middle of next month at the earliest.

I have regected the car and ordered a replacement edge which I should receive later this week

20190909_114136.jpg

20190909_114200.jpg

You do right - here's to better luck with the next one :thumbup1:

On 9/7/2019 at 11:19 PM, Zetec-S-Line said:

The PowerShift was changed to an 8 speed torque converter when the face lift came in this year.

I know I’ve got one my drive and it’s definitely not a dual clutch. Not least due to the problems Ford have had with legal cases over them in the US.

I researched it in some detail before I picked up my car last month and it’s a 8 speed torque converter that, rather strangely, was co developed with GM.

Thanks for the info

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club