Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TrustFord hourly charge

Andyr55

Ford Fiesta just going in for service. I noted the Sync needed an update so asked for them to do it. 

£146 charge!! To plug in a USB stick. It’s the hourly charge I’m told ...... really. £146 an hour?

33 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Ford Fiesta just going in for service. I noted the Sync needed an update so asked for them to do it. 

£146 charge!! To plug in a USB stick. It’s the hourly charge I’m told ...... really. £146 an hour?

£146 is a very high hourly charge but like you say it’s a plug in a usb stick sort of job, aren’t you better off doing it yourself? The Ford instructions on how to do it are fairly good.

I'd like to know why they charge 1 hr, I'm sure they must have the update already on a usb stick so it would only take them 10 minutes to install and 5 minutes to enter the log file.They must be ripping people off who are not computer savvy.

Just done the SYNC update on my Edge - took over an hour to upload to the car and then do re-starts etc to finish installation

It is an incredible slow process

SatNav map update took even longer :wacko:

For a 21st Century system it reminds me (yes I'm that old) of the old tape deck loading of software to Sinclair ZX's

• Like 1

It's like it's installing straight from the stick.  It should copy locally to the unit and then install.

Old ?

Did you never load a computer using paper tape having set up process using sixteen switches  and an "enter" button ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Westville said:

For a 21st Century system it reminds me (yes I'm that old) of the old tape deck loading of software to Sinclair ZX's

Its not that fast😂

21 minutes ago, Westville said:

I actually still have a ZX Spectrum+. I loved the old thing but it was a tedious process to get to a game. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know roughly how big the file is?  We've all been spoilt by fast internet nowadays...USB transfer seems to take an age compared!! :laugh: 

£146 an hour seems a lot for a Ford garage though...I wonder how much premium manufacturers charge now!? 😮 

How can they charge a full hour for the update if you're having the car serviced there anyway? they should be able to plug it in while doing the service and let it do its thing?

Most garages charge a minimum 1 hour for connecting diagnostics for whatever reason Inc updates. 

I personally think it's a rip off , but at work I get an hour to do speed limiters software update ( takes 6 mins) hour to do ocr software update for dpf ( takes 10 mins) hour for Nav install on usb stick for transit if from another dealer( plug in and leave for 50 mins) 

Most pcm,bcm,abs,IPC software updates take around 30 mins each. 

Ok, I have updated the software for the sync (Fiesta 66 plate) and have updated the Ford system. 

It now tells me to contact my ford dealer for maps update, so I am back to paying £146

any suggestions

If it's for the F8 update and you have sync3.5 then don't go anywhere the deslership as the sync 3.5 nav update is corrupted and users are being advised to wait until F9 comes out next year.
If you have sync3 then download the update yourself here-

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

thanks, I think the Fiesta 2016 is on sync 1.1

If it is Sync 1.1, there will be an SD card slot near the screen. These SD cards cannot be updated so you would have to buy the latest maps on an SD card from the dealer or you can get them on eBay (beware of fake cards though). 

Fiesta is definitely sync1.1. latest sd card is v9. I bought v9 for my partners fiesta 16 plate titanium from eBay no problem . Will have a look who I used.

i found the seller i used but he is no longer sells anything since around mid aug.