Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta mk8 1 litre EcoBoost automatic

waqaas2109

Confused as to my fuel consumption.

i though a full tank would give me at least 400 miles or so . I just got the the car brand new. Topped up full tank and it reads I have 210miles surely something is wrong. I have a few screen shots of half tank.

should I call ford customer service 

IMG_9925.jpg

I believe this goes off the current average fuel consumption on the trip computer, or at the least the last while of driving.  So if it's very new and had been sat around with the engine idling through PDI at the dealership, or low mpg with you for the first while then it's not surprising.  Run a full tank of fuel through it to bring the average consumption up a bit and then when you next refuel update this to let us know how it looks.  :)

• Like 1

I tend to get 40+ mpg on my 9 mile commute to work, so it's not terrible on fuel by any means.

I agree with DaveT70 good on a motorway run, hopeless around town.

• Like 1

I agree with DaveT70 good on a motorway run, hopeless around town.

Strange that I’m finding it almost the opposite. I can get 45-50mpg cruising around town in 30-40mph zones but it won’t go higher than about 40mpg at 70mph. It’s only got 1200 miles on it though so will maybe loosen up a bit more yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop start all around Stoke-on-Trent city centre, lucky if I get to 30mph

2 hours ago, Daggerit said:

I believe this goes off the current average fuel consumption on the trip computer, or at the least the last while of driving.  So if it's very new and had been sat around with the engine idling through PDI at the dealership, or low mpg with you for the first while then it's not surprising.  Run a full tank of fuel through it to bring the average consumption up a bit and then when you next refuel update this to let us know how it looks.  🙂

+1  I find if I do a bit of "brisk" driving on a nearly empty tank just before filling up, the distance to empty looks ridiculously low until the system recalibrates itself.

As has been mentioned many times on here, the best way to get a realistic mpg figure is to measure it over a full tankful using the "brim to brim" method and calculate it yourself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

+1  I find if I do a bit of "brisk" driving on a nearly empty tank just before filling up, the distance to empty looks ridiculously low until the system recalibrates itself.

As has been mentioned many times on here, the best way to get a realistic mpg figure is to measure it over a full tankful using the "brim to brim" method and calculate it yourself.

totally agree , I used that method once and it gave me 6.8 litres/100 km while the average fuel consumption on the display was giving me 6.1 !! I think there is a way to correct the displayed figure through the engineering test menu , something called the bias factor, it is preset to 1000 , there is an equation to calculate the correct value for it and re enter this factor to display the correct average fuel consumption, the equation is :

calculated mpg x current displayed bias factor / displayed mpg = new bias factor.

to be honest I haven't tried it myself

• Like 1

its very sensitive to how its driven 40+ mpg is easily achievable even during city driving with very careful driving it's even possible to exceed official mpg figures.

38 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

to be honest I haven't tried it myself

It sounds a bit too complicated to me, too - I think I'll stick with my old-fashioned (very simple) arithmetic!😀

• Like 1

Fuelio is a great (free) Android App that makes it easy to keep track of mpg.  Used it for years.

Just to throw in my non-automatic mileage I get 42mpg urban and 55mpg long run only (driven semi-conservatively).

Car has 13000 miles on it.

19 hours ago, waqaas2109 said:

Confused as to my fuel consumption.

i though a full tank would give me at least 400 miles or so . I just got the the car brand new. Topped up full tank and it reads I have 210miles surely something is wrong. I have a few screen shots of half tank.

should I call ford customer service 

Pottering around town I get 30 - 40mpg, long runs 50 - 60mpg. As you have a new car you should give it time, at least a few thousand miles to settle down.

Does any one really know how it works out how many miles of fuel it says you have left.  So we know (I think) it does a calculation based on previous MPG, but over what period, is it based on MPG for last 50 miles,        last 100 miles,       last 1000 miles,         since last time trip mileage reset,         since the last fill up?    just on the last journey,       in the last 24 hours  .

Does anyone know?  the person who did the computer program for Ford must know

I think it recalculates all the time, or at least very often.  My commute is 10 miles each way and the figure will change in that time, and change depending on wether I've gone down the fast DC at 70 or pootled down the back lanes at 50.

Just curious why they don't offer the Auto with the higher output engines? Is it simply a case of supply and demand? As in dedicate a small single line to a low number of auto with a specific engine pairing, or is it something else? Anyone know which 6 speed auto they use?

• Like 1

I think it's because in Britain, still autos are seen as only belonging in "premium" vehicles.  They still haven't percolated down across the board.

IMO for 95% of drivers in 95% of driving situations, an auto makes far more sense, but you still get that "autos are for old people, real drivers don't use them".  I say go have a drive of a Golf R DSG or an A45 AMG auto and tell me they are old men's cars.

• Like 1

It's odd how different people get different results.   I can get up tp 45 mpg around town with stop start on.   50+ on a run and 45 at a steady 70.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I think it's because in Britain, still autos are seen as only belonging in "premium" vehicles.  They still haven't percolated down across the board.

IMO for 95% of drivers in 95% of driving situations, an auto makes far more sense, but you still get that "autos are for old people, real drivers don't use them".  I say go have a drive of a Golf R DSG or an A45 AMG auto and tell me they are old men's cars.

There is, of course, a price factor in this - where a choice is available you're usually looking at a premium of £1400-1500 for an auto over a manual, which is perhaps easier to swallow on a £40k car than a £20k one. 

Never owned an auto yet, but driven a fair few over the years and must say I prefer them for wafting along in a big comfy car, rather than something sporty, but as with all these things it's personal preference and It's nice to have the choice.

I certainly don't see autos as old people's cars (I am one now anyway, lol😀), and may be going down that route a car or two in the future as various old injuries are now catching up with me in the form of arthritic toes - if I had to regularly drive in heavy traffic I would probably have switched already.

(A bit off topic but got a taxi yesterday and it was a new BMW 520d. Sat up front and having a good look at stuff, the auto on that (8 speed, I think) was a beaut - changes were completely imperceptible. Unfortunately the impression was spoiled a bit by the stop-start which was very obtrusive, far more so than the Fiesta.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I've often wondered why auto never really caught on over here...pretty much everything is auto in the US!  We like auto wipers and lights, auto climate, auto cruise, auto braking etc...even auto parking for the really lazy people...yet we still want to push that gear stick around like a caveman...

Having said that, I scroll straight past any auto/DSG ads when searching for cars...  :laugh:  Not because they're for old people but because they're worse on fuel & tax (pre 2017) and I perceive them as being something else to go wrong, and expensive to repair as well.  I also like the control of engine braking and choosing exactly how long I want to hold each gear tbf...had driven a few conventional autos and didn't feel fully in control. 

• Like 1

DSG especially are as good on mpg and often quicker 0-60 than their manual equivalents.

Most decent autos these days will engine brake and change down on hill descents.  Even the venerable 5g in my Merc did that.  The 8-speed in the Focus in S mode will hold the gear at high revs for longer.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the response people appreciated. I’ll see how it goes when I refuel it

7 hours ago, Bobr said:

It's odd how different people get different results.   I can get up tp 45 mpg around town with stop start on.   50+ on a run and 45 at a steady 70.

Yes it is strange. I get better mpg than your quoted figures in my ST-Line 140 which has much lower gearing than your 100 PS model.

Around town (which fortunately I don't have to do very often) I get similar to you, but without the Stop Start which I usually turn off.

At a steady 70 I'll be easily getting about 55mpg and my normal commute which is a mix of mainly motorways, A roads and a bit of town I'll average around 52 overall over a 34 mile trip.

The owners manual does mention that to get meaningful results from the miles left before empty you need to be consistent with your fuel filling technique.

I get about 450 miles per tank and it seems pretty consistent

fiest refuel.JPG

• Like 1

here is a practical experiment I'd like to share with you , these attached photos are taken after toping up, driving on a highway for 125.8 km exactly, with steady speed 100 km/h ( 62 mph ) for most of the way , and a little speeding up to 170 km/h (106 mph ) for about 15 kilometers.

the results are shown , note also the fuel guage, it is as if it moved only a little bit 😄 

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

Slightly depressing getting into my sister's Swift today and seeing 60.2mpg average!  I know it's non turbo and only 92bhp but even so, that's impressive for a petrol considering she does mostly short runs and has no understanding of eco driving lol!