Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worth sticking with genuine Disks and Pads?

Nathan_M
聽Share

Just had my 3rd service in the ST the dealer has ***** me off for a start so thats their bolt shot going forward, anyway馃槀聽mainly just on the road is there much of a benefit to me getting OEM pads and disks? I can get some genuine ones for about 10 quid less online just wondering what people think regarding this馃憤

I've upgraded brakes to Brembo drilled discs, and pads, purely for the look frankly.聽 Didn't really make any difference to the braking capacity of the car.聽 I'd say Ford would have given the ST the brakes it needed as standard.

The main problem with the OE brakes is the amounts of dust they produce, Motorcraft are even worse!聽 I'd change to something with less dust personally.

I've used Pagid drilled and grooved discs with EBC green stuff pads on my Land Rover - without problem and almost dust free

Watch out for Europarts flash sales (usually at weekends) they give massive discounts for 'new' online customers - got my last stuff for less than a 1/3rd of list price and its click and collect so no wasted journeys.

I've installed pagid discs and pads on my fiesta when upgrading to ST brakes. I'd personally get pagid or Brembo although I don't think they are different between each other and the OEM ones.聽

Thanks guys, I will have a look online see whats on offer, has anyone get any experience with the mountune pads?

Mine are due a change, I'll be going for pagid pads/discs from ECP.

I recommend you check the caliper slider pins and clean/regrease them with appropriate grease. There are reports on the net from focus/fiesta st owners that their caliper slider pins have seized due to either not being greased/lack of grease/dirt build up. My rear nearside caliper appears to be sticking every now and then, and the disc pad contact around the edge of the disc is very poor, over 1CM no contact compared to the opposite side.

for instance , for how many miles did your stock pads last guys ? 馃槃 at the 10k km service the dealer told me that I still have 80% of the front pads left and about 90% of the rear pads

17 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

for instance , for how many miles did your stock pads last guys ? 馃槃 at the 10k km service the dealer told me that I still have 80% of the front pads left and about 90% of the rear pads

Rear discs and pads 60000 miles around 96500 km are near end of life and will be replaced soon.The fronts were replaced last year because of聽a seized calliper so slightly聽less 馃憤

• Like 1

I know it's a different car - my 2007 Fiesta had front pads first changed at 77k 聽miles. Next change was 147k miles. 聽At around 120k I took read drums off and the rear shoes were about half worn. Car (now my brother's) has 164k on it, still has original front discs but they do look a bit worn now.

on my 2015 Fiesta it was serviced at ford main dealer at 22k and they said front pads URGENTLY needed replacing as worn out. They gave me the hard sell for them to replace them that same day. I said No because I knew it wasn't true as I had taken wheels off and checked them myself a few weeks before. I changed them at 50k and they still had some more left on them. 聽

If a garage says you need new pads don't take their word for it. 聽

• Like 2

I don't think that my pads will last that long , even my previous car ( Hyundai ix20 ) pads never exceeded 30k kilometers ( that's about 19k miles ), may be due to terrible traffic conditions we have in Cairo聽 馃槃

my drive to and from work is 33 miles each way. I probably do about 20 miles each way without having to touch the brake pedal, so that helps.聽

• Like 1

On a Fiesta ST180 the Torque Vectoring and ESC can eat up the pads if you drive it a bit hard. I'm on 26k+ and currently have a lot of brake fade and some squeeling, probably the issue on my rear isn't helping either. So going to replace later this week + inspect / clean and regrease slider pins.

Should you use the wrong grease on the slide pins, the rubber expands and they are no longer sliders....

The OEM discs are quite high quality. The OEM pads are also good, though dusty. Some people have reported different braking feel (not as direct) with other pads. A lot depends on your braking style and the feel you what.聽

On a side note conveniently after the service the offside driveshaft seal has decided it doesnt want to hold the gearbox oil in anymore, the warranty claim for that will be fun considering the thing is up in 5 days馃が

2 hours ago, Nathan_M said:

On a side note conveniently after the service the offside driveshaft seal has decided it doesnt want to hold the gearbox oil in anymore, the warranty claim for that will be fun considering the thing is up in 5 days馃が

Better that than 5 days after聽:thumbup1:

Wouldn't worry about timing of claim they don't worry about charging you聽

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, Westville said:

Better that than 5 days after聽:thumbup1:

Wouldn't worry about timing of claim they don't worry about charging you聽

No the ordeal to get it done under the warranty, its all done now picking it up in a bit, amazing what a phone call to Ford themselves can achieve馃槀 just to buy some disks and pads now and knock all my own knuckles off!

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have a 2017 st3 and the front discs are needing replacement (31k).聽

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a 2015 disc and a 2017?

The only difference that I have found so far is the massive price hike.

Cheers in advance

Mike

3 hours ago, Mike BSG said:

Hi, I have a 2017 st3 and the front discs are needing replacement (31k).聽

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a 2015 disc and a 2017?

The only difference that I have found so far is the massive price hike.

Cheers in advance

Mike

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Is your car a Mk 7 (early 2017) or Mk8 (later 2017). The Mark 8 came out in March 2017.

As for differences, I have no idea. Do the disc have different part numbers (if from same manufacturer)? Some sites show dimensions to compare too.

Which site were you looking at?

I have just checked with EBC Direct and the front discs are the both same disc and they are selling them at the same price each (once in stock). It looks like the rear discs are different. Mk8 are 1mm thicker.

Mk7.5聽https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/ford/fiesta-mk7/1.6-Turbo-ST-2012-2017/15103

2018 mk8 (2017 not listed).聽https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/ford/fiesta-mk8/1.5-Turbo-ST-2018-/23587

Are you sure you weren't getting front and rear discs mixed up when comparing.聽

Hi聽

Thank you for getting back to me.聽

Mine is an early 2017 mk 7 fitted with 278 diameter discs.聽
from what I can gather from my local dealership the genuine replacements are 24mm thick. I鈥檒l get a wheel off and check the part numbers for comparison on the net.聽
I wouldn鈥檛 imagine that the 2015 model is any different, but I may be wrong.