Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Rattles....

nick2528

Sorry, it's a rattle thread but i'm going mad and need to know it's not just me.

Can any other MK4 owners confirm that this car is indeed built like absolute s***?

I have a passenger side door rattle that drives me bonkers, tugging the door will stop the rattle for a short period. The doors cards creak loudly when pressed but the rattle itself seems to be coming from inside the door.

I also have a very similar rattle from the drivers side B Pillar or possibly the drivers side rear door.  Again, nothing seems to stop this rattle long-term. The chrome strips around the windows also tend to regularly slide out of place and need sliding back, not sure if this is related?

Does anybody have any suggestions or fixes or at the very least can somebody let me know how to take the door card off so i can just bash it all with a hammer.

My local Ford dealership has a reputation for being absolutely terrible, something i know first-hand, if i take the car in and complain of a rattle it will sit on the forecourt all day before they call and say "couldnt find anything mate".

Any DIY suggestions much appreciated. I upgraded from a MK2 (facelift) last year and i've done nothing but regret it so far as the build quality and gone through the floor! I spent the first 4 months with the speedo needle stuck on 80mph before they finally managed to replace the cluster.....

help

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Mine is the same (door cards).

Do you know how to get the door cards off?

5 hours ago, focustitanium12 said:

This post in this thread maybe of help to you, knew I saw something about this recently...

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109696-focus-vignale-mk4-door-rattle/?do=findComment&comment=779657

thanks, i did manage to find that thread aswell, i don't think its the weather strips or window thats affecting me, it's inside the door panel itself. If i lean over and ull the door toward me it will stop the rattle until i let go again

2 hours ago, nick2528 said:

thanks, i did manage to find that thread aswell, i don't think its the weather strips or window thats affecting me, it's inside the door panel itself. If i lean over and ull the door toward me it will stop the rattle until i let go again

The bit that I thought was similar to your issue was this... "Turns out it that there's a junction box inside the door which should be held in place with a rubber fitting - they replaced the fitting and all is OK now."

Had the same issue with mine, took it back to dealer who said there was a rattle when test driving but couldn't decide if it was passenger or drivers side. Took both door cards off found nothing wrong. They tried to say it was my glasses in the over head compartment (bullshit),  Since it came back no rattles at all. 

So do you have a sunglass holder overhead in a titanium x?  I'm quite annoyed that my stlinex doesn't.  Even my missus zetec fiesta has one.

2 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

So do you have a sunglass holder overhead in a titanium x?  I'm quite annoyed that my stlinex doesn't.  Even my missus zetec fiesta has one.

Do you have a panoramic roof?  Think we discovered you couldn't have the overhead console with that...although that may have been on the Mk8 Fiesta rather than the Mk4 Focus...

I do miss the Ford sunglasses holder, the Golf one doesn't fit my wraparounds! :sad: 

23 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

So do you have a sunglass holder overhead in a titanium x?  I'm quite annoyed that my stlinex doesn't.  Even my missus zetec fiesta has one

The ordinary Titanium (non x) has one as well.

No, don't have a pan roof.

Where is the holder, near the rear view mirror?

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you have a panoramic roof?  Think we discovered you couldn't have the overhead console with that...although that may have been on the Mk8 Fiesta rather than the Mk4 Focus...

Yes, that's right. I did find rattles from there on my Mk 8 Fiesta unless the glasses were in a soft case.😀

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I do miss the Ford sunglasses holder, the Golf one doesn't fit my wraparounds! :sad: 

MK4 only gets the sunglasses holder with the pano roof (well for the ST at least) and as much as I will miss that about my MK3 I was not paying £1000 for it!!

• Like 1

My vignale has sunglasses holder with no pano roof . Thought it was a standard feature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, my mistake it's the Mk8 Fiesta that only comes with EITHER pano roof OR sunglasses holder, even on the Vignale! 😮 

I don't know the spec config for getting the sunglasses holder on the Mk4 Focus.  It sounds like lux models (Titanium/TX) get a sunglasses holder as standard but sport models (ST/ST-Line) don't.  Not sure if there's any relevance of the pano roof or not.

Yes, that's right. I did find rattles from there on my Mk 8 Fiesta unless the glasses were in a soft case.[emoji3]
I have a 3.5 Focus Titanium x.
I have found the sunglasses holder rattles, at times. Just depends how they are seated in in the holder. Took a while to realise this.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

I have the active x estate with the panoramic sunroof and get a clicking sound from the central trim that runs across above rear passengers. Really annoying.  Anyone else found this one? Initially I thought it was a faulty relay - that kind of clicking sound. Worst when the interior is cold and I guess interior rigid plastic is less plyible.

Really frustrating they can’t quite match the German’s build quality- especially since the car is built in Germany!

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I too have this issue on my ST.

I've been to two local dealers (both ***** - don't know what I was expecting) and then back to the selling dealer.

They've had the car for two weeks, pulled almost every part of the door off (interior door cards, window and seals, door module etc) 

Despite removing and replacing everything they say the fault is still apparent and they cannot find the issue. They've checked the door module on both front doors and no issue with those. 

My ears are incredibly sensitive to different frequency and buzzing and I can hear it clear as day.. due to collect the car tomorrow and I'm actually dreading the drive home. 

Garage did say they will submit a quality report to FordMoCo Europe but unlikely to ever hear anything back. This has been an issue since day 1 and I'm almost at the point of backing the car through ford credit.

I feel like I can isolate the sound to the B pillar end of the door near the latch assy but the dealer have removed/refitted/checked and torqued everything in that area.

HAS ANYONE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THIS?!

I'm not making any excuse for Ford, but they like other manufacturer really are backing themselves into a corner, with the ever increasing drive for more sound damping and quieter cars, we can now pickup every little rattle that was previously drowned out,  with the move to electric in "cheaper" cars they really are going to have to up their fit and finish. The likes of an 70K Tesla or Jaguar have the time to make sure it's right, not sure how it'll work on a e-fiesta production line.

Yep, annoying little creaks and squeaks from the passenger pillar and dash area. Worse when sunny. 68 Focus. Cannot resolve😡.

I have an 07 Focus too ... far better build quality.

I don't have rattles, 15.month old mk4, but im not impressed with the crappy door seals

I've started to notice an intermittent squeak when changing down the gears mainly 4th to 3rd and sometimes form 6th to 5th. 

Never heard it going the up the gears.

Anyone got a clicking sound like a thermostat or relay clicking somewhere towards the rear of the car? Intermittent but drives me mad!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SB active X estate said:

Anyone got a clicking sound like a thermostat or relay clicking somewhere towards the rear of the car? Intermittent but drives me mad!

Yep, got that too. I'm assuming it's just a superficial squeaking where the gearstick rubs against the gate and was planning to take the gator off and put some grease on it at some point.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club