Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 1.8 tdci S-Max starting issue

TheOneAndOnly

Hi All,

Having an issue with my S-Max recently where it could start and run no problem for a few days(or more) then intermitenly not start, even if left over night.

It then may start after 2-5 goes of turning over.

I've gone to two mechanics, full service, brand new battery, diagnosic computers show no codes at all.

They're both stumped, they've said its not the fuel pump or an air lock.

This is a video;

https://youtu.be/-RrkkMadu7w

Here is a pic of the fuse box, does it look right?,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://i.gyazo.com/a3a86ac9e85d5bf72659a795d9003869.jpg

I'm at a total loss here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My other half is afraid to death to drive it as she's scared it wont start when she parks up on the school run or going to the shops etc etc.

Have you replaced the glow plugs? Try letting the glow light go out, switch the ignition off and start the engine after the glow light goes off a second time. They may not be heating up enough to start.

7 hours ago, brains_t said:

Have you replaced the glow plugs? Try letting the glow light go out, switch the ignition off and start the engine after the glow light goes off a second time. They may not be heating up enough to start.

Not replaced but if there was an issue it would show up in the diagnostic(right?), which was performed by 3 different diagnostic computers, I do wait for the plug light to go out before starting, still wont start, takes around 6-8 cranks to get going but once going fine until left for a couple of hours.

Try letting the glow light go out a couple of times before trying to start the engine so they heat up well. I had a similar issue with mine (same model), would not start if I tried after the light went out the first time. Eventually became second nature to let the light go out twice, until a few years later (Xmas in the Black Forest, night temp -15C) then a 380 code came up revealing an electrical fault in the glow plugs, still started if I sprayed starter fluid in the air intake.

Does the engine turn over fast enough, if it doesnt the ecu doesn't fuel correctly and no start,  try with  a jump pack or other battery connected to the original.

these engines will start with out the glow plugs they are only really needed in sub zero temps.

8 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Does the engine turn over fast enough, if it doesnt the ecu doesn't fuel correctly and no start,  try with  a jump pack or other battery connected to the original.

these engines will start with out the glow plugs they are only really needed in sub zero temps.

Did you watch the video link?, I try to turn it over twice.

Just had a fresh battery installed, if it doens't turn over fast enough even with a fresh battery, whats the solution?.

The internal diagnostic showed the battery voltage holding around 11.9 before start, then when I do get the car going it goes up to between 13-14.

57 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

That seems to be a bit slow turning over, could be starter,

Cheers, appreciate it!, will report back once I either know more or get it solved, it's at the garage again till next week.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, pragmatix said:

That seems to be a bit slow turning over, could be starter,

i have an issue with low fuel pressure could a dodgy starter motor cause this i have tried everything else and my mind went to the starter motor earlier on but doubted my self ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club