Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus battery problems

Japanoj

Hi everyone

first time on the forum, need to advice.

i have r cently purchased a focus edge 1.6 diesel 62 plate . Had it for about 4 months now . Last couple of weeks the car has not started . First time was when the wife was cleaning the car she had doors open and then tried starting the car and would not start. My father then used jump cables connected to his car and it started first time.

i took it down to Halfords to test the battery and it showed around 380 amps the technician said it should around 700+.

howver my wife uses he car for very short journeys , we have done less than 1000 miles in 4 months. Could these too short journeys cause the battery to drain too much.

its a original ford battery as well, the Halfords guy said these batteries last quite a few years?

would a long journey recharge the battery?

any help would be appreciated 

Time to invest in a new batt i would say. Or i  you don't want to do that then take the batt off the car hook it up to a charger for a day or so and see if it holds the charge when you reconnect it back in the car. 😉

You've got the original 2012, so it's 7, going on 8 years old. It's 99% certain it's u/s. With your low mileage, you need to give it a regular top-up charge, so you're going to need a decent battery charger, anyway.

Get the charger, and, as andypsp suggested, see if it will hold a charge. If not, buy a new battery, and make sure it's the correct one for your car. Use the charger every few weeks, to maintain the charge level.

Car batteries do not respond well to having a constant low charge level, as they are meant to be fully/as near to fully charged, at all times, particularly if a car is Stop/Start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Japanoj said:

Hi everyone

first time on the forum, need to advice.

i have r cently purchased a focus edge 1.6 diesel 62 plate . Had it for about 4 months now . Last couple of weeks the car has not started . First time was when the wife was cleaning the car she had doors open and then tried starting the car and would not start. My father then used jump cables connected to his car and it started first time.

i took it down to halfords to test the battery and it showed around 380 amps the technician said it should around 700+.

howver my wife uses he car for very short journeys , we have done less than 1000 miles in 4 months. Could these too short journeys cause the battery to drain too much.

its a original ford battery as well, the halfords guy said these batteries last quite a few years?

would a long journey recharge the battery?

any help would be appreciated 

If I were in your circumstance I would consider investing in a Ctek battery charger/revitaliser or equivalent 👍

in my 2007 fiesta the original ford battery lasted just over 10 years but I think that was pretty lucky. In my wife's Mazda 2 it lasted about 7 years. If yours is the original I would think it's about time for a replacement.

On some batteries you can tell when it was new

http://carbatteryhelp.com/what-you-should-know-about-buying-a-car-battery/#.XXzpFdQrLGg

but I don't know specifically for Ford batteries when in a brand new car

my wife's Mazda 2 only does short journeys and does about 2,000 miles per annum and we have never had problems with it going flat (other than 2 years ago when it needed a new battery).  I think modern cars have such good charging systems it should not be a problem. But some cars do have stuff that is using the battery when it is parked (security stuff) which does not help. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club