Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 1.8tdci cam belt top and bottom

Dozz
聽Share

Has anybody got an idea on how many hours Ford allows to replace the top belt, water pump and lower wet belt on the 1.8tdci? I started the tear down tonight I got as far as arch and belly pain off, cam cover off, top engine mount off, top belt cover off and water pump off. Eleventybillion other bits of ***** off or out the way. Time taken 2 and quarter hours and I didn't mash anything up but did lose time to trying to find the bastarding lost 10mm socket.聽馃槨

• Haha 2

Job done. 2007 car but only 71k miles so overdue on time but under on mileage.聽 I actually got lucky in a way. I phoned Ford's and asked them and the people who supplied the belt and both informed me I had a lower wet belt! Nope ive got a chain. So just did top belt and water pump. Aux belt tensioner was seized and while trying to free it off I broke it. Luckily eurocarsharts had a discount deal on today so wasn't to bad. Would I do another one? Yeah why not,聽 it's not that bad a job just ***** loads of gubbins in the way. I'd find a way of doing it without disconnecting the fuel lines next time. Proper stinker to get started first time.聽

• Like 1

Is all the 1.8 tdci engine chain? Are you a weekend mechanic like myself? Just wondering how hard it is and if any special tools needed? I just spent 3 hours changing rear axle bushes with no special tools only a mini digger as a press!!!聽

Weekend warrior here. You do need some special bits and bobs. Camshaft setting bar, crankshaft locking pin and timing case alignment tool. Cost about 30 quid on fleabay. From what I understand it's pretty much luck of the draw if the bottom belt is errr a belt or chain. It's pretty easy to find out and wish I'd checked myself than believe others. Remove the lower tensioner. It's down by the aux belt tensioner.聽 If it's flat you have a belt. If it has a slight dome it's a chain. The job isn't hard and there's enough room just if you lift or lower the engine once the mounts off. It's just a bit of a faff moving loads of bits and bobs out the way

Oh and if you need a good price on a bottom belt and seal I'm yer man聽聽馃槱

• Like 1

It took 6 hours (lunch break included) for me and my car mechanic (indie, ex BMW). Mechanic admitted that his was his first 1.8 tdci. Replaced: wet belt+cambelt&tensioner+all gaskets+water pump+new coolant+engine oil+filter+crankshaft pulley&new bolt+auxiliary belt.

Haynes manual was great inspiration and help. As for the special tool: crankshaft locking tool was made locally as per Haynes manual instructions, camshaft locking tool got nicked from VW timing belt tool box and case alignment tool was assembled from 30 mm socket, M14x15.mm long bolt and some heathshrink.聽

Result: My Focus still roars today!!! For many miles to cross!!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club