Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with a boost leak

MarkC

Long story short my lad has been given a 2004 1.6 TDCi C-Max to learn in and it has a boost leak, wooshing noise at 2000 rpm and over.  I have cleaned the engine bay down as it was in a mess and the oily mist is coming back by a concertina plastic pipe that connects to the inlet manifold.  It appears to be spraying down onto the exhaust manifold and rocker cover area (see picture below).

I have taken the pipe off and for the life of me I can't see a split.  Is there a common failure point in this area that I may be overlooking?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

590787617_cmaxoilleak2.png.894dde92e8a8738675a7cc2f9edb674f.png

A "whooshing" noise is a sure sign of a leak at turbo or intercooler

Sometimes these leaks in pipes can be B*@&%"+*ds to locate/find only opening up when under pressure (in your case at 2000+ rpm)

As you have found 'misting' that would suggest a pinhole causing the oil to spray so it may be very small indeed even under pressure

Sounds like that concertina pipe needs replacing unless the securing clips are faulty 

• Like 1

Sometimes it is the simplest things you just don't think of.  I was trying to think of ways to pressurise the pipe etc and my misses taped a plastic bag around the pipe and told me to take it for a drive.  15 minutes later we un-taped the bag and there was oil inside.  Pipe is dead and I am shamed by my good lady.

I feel a bit silly I didn't think of the obvious but hopefully it helps someone else. 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club