Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Numberplate lights change to LEDs ?

shiwarrior

Hi all

I quite sure this is an easy one, just want to see if anyone has done this , and tell me what the connector is used

on my facelift MK2, does the numberplate lights just un clip , and you can then unplug them ?

want to change the whole thing to something like these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Of-White-SMD-18-LED-License-Number-Plate-Lights-Lamp-For-Jaguar-XJ-XF-542119/223296425175?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

should give me more light for my reversing camera ?

• Like 1

I don't think they'll give you any more light for the reversing camera Vs just illuminating your hatch lid [emoji39]

Have a look for Stoneys? Post on Cree reversing LED Bulbs, they're a bit pricier but holy moly the light output.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shiwarrior said:

Hi all

I quite sure this is an easy one, just want to see if anyone has done this , and tell me what the connector is used

on my facelift MK2, does the numberplate lights just un clip , and you can then unplug them ?

want to change the whole thing to something like these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Of-White-SMD-18-LED-License-Number-Plate-Lights-Lamp-For-Jaguar-XJ-XF-542119/223296425175?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

should give me more light for my reversing camera ?

I've fitted those in mine; there a straight swap unit, 

They are very bright; I've bought a DRL dimmer which I plan on fitting to mine soon to half there illumination, 

See my guide on fitting an additional reverse light for best reverse illumination the reg lights will just light up your bumper directly below the panel they wont throw much light outwards behind the vehicle, 

Alternatively fit a 12" light bar underneath the bumper 

• Like 1

well, for about £7 its not much

but if they wont help in lighting in anyway for reversing (day or night)

then.., going back to my post in Lennys thready about super good reversing lights

might get these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-rw382dled-Lamp-P21-7000/dp/B074DW3LLP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ring+p21+led&qid=1563649511&s=automotive&sr=1-3&tag=autoclubinte-21

🙈Ugh my eyes think I've gotten weld flash 😂

It's like windows 95 screen saver now I'm seeing asteroids everywhere 🥺

• Haha 2

BLIMEY

they are erm, BRIGHT

i think too bright for the back, as should be RED at the back, so having a bright white light is a bad thing?

I was following a BMW in traffic today, his right brake light was white 😞 so distracting

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

🙈Ugh my eyes think I've gotten weld flash 😂

It's like windows 95 screen saver now I'm seeing asteroids everywhere 🥺

i cant remember that far back ! lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, shiwarrior said:

BLIMEY

they are erm, BRIGHT

i think too bright for the back, as should be RED at the back, so having a bright white light is a bad thing?

mmm... the number pate lights legally need to be 'white', and yes, they're bright but that what I wanted from an LED change.It's fun to watch following drivers don their sunglasses at night LOL 🤣 Oh, and sadly I go way back to Windows 3.1!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

mmm... the number pate lights legally need to be ';white', and yes, they're bright but that what I wanted from an LED change.It's fun to watch following drivers don their sunglasses at night LOL 🤣

I've bought a DRL dimmer to fit to mine cuts the illumination by 50% as featured in my guide here but from a different supplier:

Link: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31832-guide-fitting-auto-dimmer-unit-from-gen-labs-to-gauges-or-drl/ 

I'm going to cut the loom inside the boot panel then fit the relay in using male & female crimp spade connectors; this way I can unplug and return to standard easily if I ever change the light units to somthing that doesn't require dimming.

oh i didn't mean the numberplate lights should be red, i mean , when your following a car, the lights and brake lights are red for a reason, and white lights for reversing, so the numberplate light shouldn't be overly bright

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shiwarrior said:

oh i didn't mean the numberplate lights should be red, i mean , when your following a car, the lights and brake lights are red for a reason, and white lights for reversing, so the numberplate light shouldn't be overly bright

Cant beat the cree fog light bulb for illumination that's fitted in a clear lens too lol 

IMG_20141104_185840_zpssdirwqzv.jpg.ccce84f0e002dc9cfbdcc2c6b8503edb.jpg

IMG_20141104_185822_zpsbdujzny_edit_1415127938404_zpsw0uxsseo.jpg.0dcaafe5549a779d036e5672a67ddc66.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

mmm... the number pate lights legally need to be 'white', and yes, they're bright but that what I wanted from an LED change.It's fun to watch following drivers don their sunglasses at night LOL 🤣 Oh, and sadly I go way back to Windows 3.1!

I'm worse I go back to MS-DOS lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

I'm worse I go back to MS-DOS lol

Well, I remember learning BASIC on my home built Sinclair Spectrum ZX81 LOL 😀

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Well, I remember learning BASIC on my home built Sinclair Spectrum ZX81 LOL 😀

Lol loved it this is the one I had and fave games were some running maze game and Spikey harold lol

s-l225.jpg

• Like 2

As stated above, those plate lights are a direct replacement.
A cree bulb in your reverse light will help far more for reversing, they are verrrry bright.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Lol loved it this is the one I had and fave games were some running maze game and Spikey harold lol

s-l225.jpg

I was brought up on a chalk board and abacus 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

As stated above, those plate lights are a direct replacement.
A cree bulb in your reverse light will help far more for reversing, they are verrrry bright.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I agree, that's what I have, though it is brighter than the Victorian developed filament bulb, I'm still contemplating putt a proper reverse light on mine!

reverseLEDmockupLoRes.jpg.7b4c7fe58365e898841a5ae01ae8781e.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club